Wanted: Some outdated PC hardware

Tungsten

Looking for the following items:

An AGP slot type video card, based on the NV40 chip, must be a GeForce 6800 Ultra or something similar like 6800GT.

Pentium 4 CPU, socket 478, with 400Mhz FSB, faster than 1.8ghz.

Aftermarket heat sink for Pentium 4 socket 478. The fan should be quiet or silent, could do fanless. What I had in mind was one of those large heat sinks with slow 120mm or so fans.

Quiet power supply, at least 400 watts.

PCI slot network card, should do 10/100 at the minimum.

Desktop PC133 RAM, 256mb to 1gb, preferably 3 matching sticks. I can also get just 1x 256mb.

Laptop PC2700 RAM, 1x 512mb or 2x 1gb sticks, preferably 2 matching sticks. Could do 1x 1gb stick as well.

Any flat screen monitor offers? One with a DVI port would be a bonus.

Edited by Tungsten

What socket P4 do you need? 423, 478, 775? I have one 775 but it's too fast/new for you, and some unknown Socket 423 Willamette core (obscure, short-lived socket) chip. If you don't know, use CPU-Z to find out.

You're not going to get a fanless HSF for any P4. They are space heaters and require active cooling.

Why do you need a PCI NIC? Built-in one got fried?

I've got some PC133 for you sitting in my glovebox but unfortunately it's going to another friend's older computer. If I come across some more though, I'll let you have it. I may have some laptop RAM for you too, will check when I get around to it. I don't have a PSU or video card for you.

Edited by Towncivilian

oops i just missed that, socket 478 is what i'm looking for

i need a heat sink that has something like a 120mm fan on it so it stays quiet

the board does not have a NIC

what have you got for laptop?

I have a socket 478 3.0ghz unknown FSB chip on a motherboard right now with a Scythe Ninja heatsink mounted. Not sure I'll want to part with the Scythe Ninja HSF, though. The chip, maybe $20 if it turns out to be 400mhz FSB, I'll have to power the board up to check.

I may have a PCI NIC in a box somewhere, and I'm almost certain I have one in the back of the PF right now. Will have to check.

The laptop is in a box somewhere in the closet; I'll dig it up during the day sometime and find out what's in it.

I've got some PC133 for you sitting in my glovebox but unfortunately it's going to another friend's older computer.

If it's for Tungsten, why is your other friend getting it? :scratchhead:

I may have a socket 478 processor, unsure of the speed though, I'll check it out tomorrow night if you remind me in the fake poho.

Edited by silverton

If it's for Tungsten, why is your other friend getting it? :scratchhead:

I may have a socket 478 processor, unsure of the speed though, I'll check it out tomorrow night if you remind me in the fake poho.

I worded that incorrectly. I meant that I had some RAM that would fit Tungsten's needs but it was already claimed by another person.

The only PC2700 laptop RAM I have is a 256MB SODIMM.

Edited by Towncivilian

The link you posted doesn't work. I'm interested in what you're doing.

I have a few P4 478 with 2.40/512/800 and 2.80/512/800 chips. 2.4 for free and the 2.8 for $5 (and you pay shipping). I also have one 3.00/1M/800 for $20. The only memory I have is PC3200 512MB.

Jose

The link you posted doesn't work. I'm interested in what you're doing.

I have a few P4 478 with 2.40/512/800 and 2.80/512/800 chips. 2.4 for free and the 2.8 for $5 (and you pay shipping). I also have one 3.00/1M/800 for $20. The only memory I have is PC3200 512MB.

Jose

Here is the post from that link I posted:

Some time ago, I got a new computer with an Intel Quad Core cpu and a GeForce 9800GT graphics card. The idea was to replace my old dead Pentium 4 computer with a GeForce 6600 card. When I started up 1nsane, I noticed that the game ran even slower than how it ran before on the Pentium 4. It turns out that nVidia has changed their graphics processor architecture from NV to G right after about the GeForce 7xxx series. I remember the last card to run 1nsane at lightning speed was a GeForce 6800 Ultra, which has the NV40 chip. The GeForce 4 Ti also runs 1nsane quite well but may not be so good with Anti-Aliasing. The GeForce 9800GT, while much more powerful than a 6800 Ultra, has the G92 chip, which does not have that much support for older games and it will run in some legacy mode delivering poor performance. The solution to make 1nsane run fast again is to actually buy or find an older video card with the NV chip. If you don't want to keep swapping video cards all the time, you have to find an old computer lying around and build it up with the card to use for 1nsane.

Right now, I somehow managed to get another Pentium 4 computer with an AGP port, which was the one I built before the one that already died. The computer still works but needs a few parts and upgrades. When I finish with that, I should have a PC I can use just for 1nsane and maybe some other older stuff that can't run on new hardware. If that doesn't work out then I will try to find another older graphics card for PCI-express and keep swapping them.