How loud are your tires?

swapdip

I recently got this 90 Pathfinder from a guy who said it had worn bearings, caused by the local tire shop that "effed them damn bearings up when they put the new tires on." He traded it to me cheap because of the whirring noise he heard at highway speed. Not too much of a bother to me, I thought, I've replaced bearings before. On the ride home I did notice sort of a high whirring noise above 70mph kind of like worn bearings, but it seems to be coming from both sides universally, and so I wonder, could it just be the sound of these brand new 31x10.5 tires?

So I ask you guys, how loud are your tires? And could that be the noise we hear?

Edited by swapdip

Depends on the tire. My 31" Revos I use for winter are pretty quiet....only a minor howl at highway speeds.

My 33" MT's, however, are LOUD, and howl/rumble at just about any speed.

on a scale of 1-10 my Nokian Vatiiva MT's are about a 4 or 5. An agressive tire will def be louder and balance can contribute to that.

1 being a well balanced street performance tire and 10 being heavily treaded tractor like Mud tires.

I see no way that bearings can be damaged just from installing tires.

i think my bfg's are fairly quiet....but not as quiet as my stock size michelin highway tires..

I had a bearing issue in my malibu which was fairly obvious, although I could have mistaken it for wheel noise.....as it got louder/higher pitch as I sped up...

If it starts doing it around 20-30 mph I think it may be a bearing issue, but if its only @ highway speeds I don't think you have anything to worry bout.

My BFG mall Terrain 31s about 4 (using MY1PATH's scale) my mix-match 32s (tru-tracks and some other brand with a similar tread pattern) a 5, 6 if I get a strong enough tailwind on a long enough downhill to get some good speed kickin, and the Firestone Destination A/T 31s on the 4runner are about 5.5

wait 70mph in a wd21? I call shenanigans...

wait 70mph in a wd21? I call shenanigans...

Yeah my truck cruises pretty nicely at 80mph, better than any other vehicle I've ever driven of that size. Thanks guys I feel better about that bearing issue.

If the wheel bearings were so bad that you could hear them on the highway, I am sure you could feel hear that something was not right when you had the tire jacked up and turned it by hand.

I replaces my wheel bearings about a year ago when I bought the truck. The drivers side was noticably crunchy feeling, but did not yet make any noticable noise while driving.

As for tires, My BFG M/T KM2s are fairly quiet. I'd rate them at a 5, but that is a pretty subjective scale.

B

I run 32" BFG AT for street use they are pretty quite in my opinion only a little noise, But when i put my origonal design 33" bias ply swampers on you can hear me comming from miles away lol, with the swampers by the time you hit 45 you can no longer hear the engine at all it is very loud.