91 SE Project.

NavyP503

Hi all,

I keep putting off posting on here to keep working on my new Pathy. I bought a 91 SE-V6 Manual with 258,000 miles for $500 a few weeks ago with a broken timing belt and other little problems. Found a broken exhaust manifold stud, drivers side window didn't work, back passenger door handle didn't work from the outside, neither of the locks worked, and the interior was a bit of a mess, dented A/C condenser- front bumper- and lower radiator support. Tearing into the engine went pretty well, here's the timing belt:

IMG_2775.jpg

The broken stud:

IMG_2788.jpg

Dented A/C condenser, found a good use for an old scissor jack though!

IMG_2771.jpg

Big rust hole under the battery tray, hopefully going to weld a patch in later this week:

IMG_2767.jpg

The only damage I found on the internals was one shredded lifter, everything else was straight and smooth:

IMG_2789.jpg

I spent the next couple weeks getting the engine bay cleaned up and everything put back together, I went with bolts for the exhaust manifolds, so far they're working well I'm going to go check the torques on them tomorrow.

Went to start it for the first time and it sounded like the starter was binding up, couple smacks with a hammer and it started right up. Idles smoothly, a slight knock right when it started, I suspect a lifter is on it's way to needing replaced and frees up after it gets some fresh oil on it. The only problem starting now is every once in a while it sounds like the solenoid doesn't pull the lever far enough and the gears don't mesh right. Rocking back and forth has worked so far to get it running. I'm thinking the solenoid is either not getting good power or needs a shim to pull the lever farther and get a better mesh between the starter and the flywheel?

Monday I started in on the interior. Driver's side window regulator was shredded and the plastic clips on the locking mechanisms were both broken. I found a junkyard with at least four WD21's though that I've been pulling parts off of. The window works now, it looks like the original problem was the rubber on the guide folded in on itself and the window stopped until the cable broke. The lock barrel on the passenger side is broken though, key doesn't turn it anymore.

The problem I found today though is electrical. The parking lights didn't work, traced it to a blown fuse. As soon as I turn the lights to parking the fuse blows. I pulled the rear combination lights and the front markers bust as soon as I turn the switch the fuse blows again. With the switch in 'off' resistance to ground is good downstream of the fuse, with the switch in either other position resistance is about 1 Ohm to ground, anyone know what the nominal is? I also found out this evening that the dash lights don't work. Headlights and turn signals work, dome light stays on all the time (unless switch is in 'off' of course ) and the reverse light doesn't work either. I've checked all the switches for the dome light and they work all right. I only have the Haynes manual for it so the wiring diagrams aren't the best. As far as I can tell I have a ground somewhere on the hot lead of the parking lights, which also leads to the dome, dash and reverse lights. I'm hoping someone else has had a similar problem because tracing out a single wire from front to back and behind the dash is going to be a PIA!!! Any suggestions are much appreciated! :D

EDIT: Haha, Search FTW.... hopefully. Finally found someone with a similar issue, apparently a wire for the parking lights goes behind the radio. And I was fussing with the radio all day, big jumble of wires due to someone's shoddy install of an aftermarket radio and amp. I'll check it out tomorrow morning and let you all know. Good think I stocked up on the 10 amps today!

Edited by NavyP503

good job Navy! That sounds just like my story. I bought a 93se for $600. Had thrown a rod through the side of the block so had to put in new engine (the PO had gotten it stuck in the mud and apparently put a brick on the gas pedal until it blew). My locks don't work (sound like same plastic clips), dome light won't go off unless switched off, dash light intermittent (thats the H/L switch I just wriggle it and they work) had to add radio (get an adaptor from WallyWorld). Interior was full of mud, door panels covered with cig burns, etc, etc. 3-32x11.5, 1-31x10.5

At least you have salvage yards close to you. I live in Podunk, Arkansas now (I used to live on the Front Range - still have two boys there) and my nearest yard is an hour away. And they have very little. I guess Pathys weren't real popular around here like they were in CO.

good luck and keep us informed on progress.

While tracing out the ground I started behind the stereo, where I found an awful mess of wires. It looks like the PO spliced the power for an amp off of the cigarette lighter, with two more inline fuses, and then spliced again to a different circuit near the fuse box.... argh, and with only the Hayne's wiring diagram to go by it's been a PITA. Decided to pull the dash to get a better idea of how jacked up this wiring is. A couple of cut connectors behind the fuse box, and one off the box that was labeled 'Seat Heater' but I don't have seat heaters... huh.

IMG_2826.jpg

A couple more sets of wires that led to now where and came from nowhere, lol, just pulled all those out. I had pretty much everything disconnected at this point and tested for the ground.......... it was clear!! Wooo!!

Putting everything together I ran a quick test once the instrument cluster was back in, plugged the switch in and turned on the lights. Hooray I had dash lights, glove box, and parking lights. After everything was bolted back on I tested it again, and the ground is back. It was already dark so I had to give up for the night. I'm going to start in again tomorrow by pulling the radio and the dome lights, those were the last things I attached today before the ground came back. Unfortunately while putting everything back together I broke the plastic housing for the center vents and the vent on the right side in the dash, oh well, back to the junkyard.

Figured while I had the dash out I would check the blower motor and resistor pack. Boy am I glad I did:

IMG_2825.jpg

IMG_2821.jpg

I'll be starting again tomorrow morning, hopefully I can get this stupid thing cleared.

Here's the new bumper:

IMG_2824.jpg

Edited by NavyP503

Took about five hours today but I finally fixed it, still not sure where the ground was though. I pretty much took all the wire looms apart and rewired a couple of connectors.

IMG_2840.jpg

Works now so I'm not going to complain, put everything back together and it still works! Took a ton of pictures, thinking of writing a "How-To" on dash removal, I'm getting fairly proficient at it :D

IMG_2842.jpg

IMG_2841.jpg

Slow, that might be a fun project for next winter when I get the garage cleaned out and welder, for now I'm just happy to be done messing with it for a few weeks.

Only thing that I know that doesn't work now is the reverse light.

Wow good work man :beer:

Baring another wiring issue, take a look at the backup switch , any by look I mean to that multimeter ;)

Mine did not work after the tranny swap and I traced it down to the switch, replaced it and they have worked flawlessly ever since :aok:

Unbelievable... I would have driven your Pathfinder into a lake along time ago if I had to do all that work.

I have a WD21 with a few problems itself, but I like all my broken stuff.

Both rear windows don't work

Drivers side door lock no workey

Odometer and Speedo toast

Transmission has no Syncro's - Grind, Grind, Grind...

Blown fuse in headlight - FIXED

4x4 and engine works GREAT!!!

Yeah, if it had been my DD I would've been chucking hand grenades a while ago. But I mostly bought it for the project, even if I didn't get it working I figured I could just about make my money back parting it out. So now that it does work it'll be for tinkering around and learning to do stuff like body work and fabbing some of my own stuff. Too scared to do that on my DD :D

she is exactly as mine is pretty good job what you have did hope you don't mind but I have downloaded some pictures that help me out for reference I see I am not the only one that have that problem whit the painting on the hood and actually the interior and painting looks same as mine . :D

keep going and tell us how is it

Hope some day do same with mine as soon as I have more time and Money LOL

holy chit man...i thought me swapping out harnesses themselves was a lot of work...pulling the harnesses apart would be a PITA...I hated doing it just to get the price of copper a little higher when i sold my 87 harness for scrap...looks like your coming along

nice cupholders :aok:

... incredible...the works you've done on your Path, you are courageous... i guess you are quite satisfied ... but it's a path and it's worthed...wish i had the garage and the tools to do similar work.

Edited by Pinip

A garage sure did make this job easier. The first time I did a head gasket job without the help of my Dad was on a 94 V6 Mustang in an apartment complex parking lot. We had to keep an eye out for the landlord so we didn't get a ticket, not the most fun I've had working on a car.

Took about five hours today but I finally fixed it, still not sure where the ground was though. I pretty much took all the wire looms apart and rewired a couple of connectors.

IMG_2840.jpg

I was looking at this pic thinking "I don't have anywhere near that amount of wire under the window" But mine is RHD so all the instrument wires don't go across to the left :lol:

Job well done by the looks of it *Takes hat off* Too often people just junk a vehicle because it has a few issues :aok:

• 2 years later...

Thought I would give an update on the Pathy after a couple years of tinkering. I've fixed most of the issues it had when I first bought it. New radio and speakers, dome lights work, a lot of interior pieces replaced. Some new Warn manual hubs, clutch operating and master cylinder as well as lower hose. Fixed the starter issues with a new solenoid. Lately I've added a spoiler, brush guard and driving lights, as well as relaying the headlights. I can tell a difference in the brightness, but the pictures don't do it justice. I'm still having issues with the back up lights. I've replaced the switch and tested the wiring, whatever pushes the switch in inside the transmission must be broken.

Before

003oyh.jpg

After

0052d.jpg

With Driving Lights (I still need to adjust them)

0062mu.jpg

004oqr.jpg

I'm also ordering a 4pin weatherproof connector to clean up the driving light wiring.

• 2 weeks later...

The only problem starting now is every once in a while it sounds like the solenoid doesn't pull the lever far enough and the gears don't mesh right. Rocking back and forth has worked so far to get it running. I'm thinking the solenoid is either not getting good power or needs a shim to pull the lever farther and get a better mesh between the starter and the flywheel?

[/quote']

Sounds like a problem I had when I first got mine, I just lived with it and it went away after it became my DD.

Not really a help full post but just letting you know theres other out there that had the same problem.

looking good btw.