Know it's not a record but.......

jitterymonkey

It's minus 16 degrees celcius here today.....-25 with the wind chill. No issues starting. Tranny was a little slow and hard shifting, as I'm sure the ATF was like molasses. I've started the truck in -30 weather with no issues.

-5 F here with a -20 F wind chill... my trucks in the shop having an alignment done, but the cold weather is takin a toll on my fiance's '99 Cavalier XD Poor lil box 4 is having issues starting and I think her battery is going to pot... my truck started up fine the other day when it was a -2 F wind chill though :D

kind of related...50 mph gusts in maryland going down I95 at 60-70 with the death wobble...one of the most terrifying experiences of my life... My dad was by that huge 68 car pileup in PA, he has an Excursion with the V10, he tanked right through all that snow with no problem with BFG rugged trails

It's minus 16 degrees celcius here today.....-25 with the wind chill. No issues starting. Tranny was a little slow and hard shifting, as I'm sure the ATF was like molasses. I've started the truck in -30 weather with no issues.

It was -20 C today here and -30 with the windchill, the truck started up fine, do you get any lifter tack in this cold? I don't anymore with the synthetic.

Oh good, so my tranny isn't effed, they all do it :aok:

It was sure as hell cold inside though *wishes he still had heated seats* Wouldn't it be nice if you had a remote start, you leave the heat seat on when you go in for the night and when you started the truck the next morning with the remote, you come out to a nice toasty seat :D

Edited by redfinder

I'm sure you guys/gals in Canada think that's nothin'

How much colder before problems arise?

And what then?

Fuel additive?

Oil heater?

Engine blanket?

Curious as to what works the best.

It has started in -30C pretty consistently, block heater and thin synthetic oil are my two best friends.

Coldest it got in the last two weeks out here in BFE Wyoming where the wind always blows hard was -35 F with wind chill. (I hear). Next morning I had to run to the store. Constance started right up after sitting for a week and a half in those cold temps. I use 5W30 Mobil clean 5000 oil. I was a bit worried as i know the battery is atleast going on 4 yrs old and it looked older when I bought the truck.

technology isn't all that is it.. i have the old school antenna and i have no issues. :D :D

the windows do freeze sometimes and i just run heat on high and defrost.. the motors seems really slow in the cold though. :(

i've never really have issues with the doors but the fuel window... many times.

Plus 11 here today, and no issues :tongue:

Like Simon, I have started mine up in -30+ without any problems. I use the block heater when it is -10 or less if a plug is available but that is not always the case when traveling. Note that windchill has no effect on motors, only skin :blush:

More important.....How the hell do you keep the

power antenna and windows from freezing/not working? :angry:

Every mornin' same thing, Doors froze shut, winows froze shut and

antenna froze in the off position :rant2:

Yeah...My Audi has this feature where you lift the door handle for more than 3 seconds and a heater fires up to melt any ice in the lock, GREAT IDEA :aok:

So one morning with frost on the car I tried it out and it worked.....cept the door seal was frozen :rolleyes::rant2:

The wind chill really has nothing to do with whether you will have any problems with starting... only the ambient temperature matters.

Anyway, at about -28ºC I get problems starting my wife's '00 Integra if it hasn't been plugged in... usually rough idle and stalling. I didn't had any problems starting my new PF at -35ºC one day when I didn't get a powered stall at work.

technology isn't all that is it.. i have the old school antenna and i have no issues. :D :D

the windows do freeze sometimes and i just run heat on high and defrost.. the motors seems really slow in the cold though. :(

i've never really have issues with the doors but the fuel window... many times.

Better than a gmc jimmy/blazer like my grandpas neighbour had, it was a 96 and he had the motor replaced 3 times for the drivers power window because he tapped the button and poof there goes the motor because it was a little cold out.

He sold it a couple weeks ago and bought a 2008 pathfinder :aok:

Edited by redfinder

Sorry, have to share this.... -40 plus wind = brr. This was 2 weeks ago i believe

minusforty.jpg

Heehee, I should have got one of those pics too....except made them 'before and after' pics. My thermometer like that had snow on it and when I brushed the snow off to see the temp, the needle DROPPED a couple of degrees..sheesh!

Yeah, but anything that'd help with the cold starts is a good thing :) That and where I am we have dropped to around 10 below before adding in wind chill.

That and my old gal does stutter and knock a bit when really cold

Best defence against cold is a regular oil changes with a good quality oil and choosing the grade of oil suited to your climate per the owner's manual.

A 120V block heater (a heater element similar to an electric kettle, that is in one of the frost plugs in the block and heating your engine coolant) starts being worthwhile around -15C/5F. Most manuals I have read recommend the use of them below -20C/-4F.

A battery blanket/warmer can also be a good thing I am told, although I do not use them.

Yeah, but anything that'd help with the cold starts is a good thing :) That and where I am we have dropped to around 10 below before adding in wind chill.

That and my old gal does stutter and knock a bit when really cold

I usually don't plug in my block heater till it's -15 or 20C so your 10 below would be plenty cold enough to plug it in or at least it wouldn't hurt.