Tire decisions

turbopath

Which tire should I get? (all 31x10.5 and I drive 96% asphalt 4% over big nasty stuff and deep muddy holes)  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which tire should I get? (all 31x10.5 and I drive 96% asphalt 4% over big nasty stuff and deep muddy holes)

• BFG AT KO's
    • Pro Comp AT
    • Pirelli Scorpion AT
    • Kumho Road Venture AT
    • Nitto Terra Grappler
    • Other

If my Pathy were still a daily driver, I'd have another set of BFG AT's on it. My first set (31x10.50R15) lasted about 40,000 miles before I replaced them. They performed very well in during my first goneMOAB in 2003.

The second set of BFG AT's (32x11.50R15) were only on the truck for about 8,000 miles before I retired the Pathy as my daily driver and swapped them out for Wrangler MTR's.

With the amount of city/paved driving you'll be doing, I'd go with the BFG's. They'll last a long time, won't have an unbearable amount of road noise, and have a good balance of longevity, highway manners, and off-roadability.

Granted, they're not mud boggers, so don't expect to go sloshing through 20 yards of foot-deep gumbo and not get stuck. Don't venture to tread where you know you haven't got a chance.

i had toyo at for over 60k miles twice on my previous truck.

now i have MTs and the road noise is negligable.. nothing to worry about.. i tend to rotate them every oil change though.. helps keeping them worn more evenly. so far i have 14k on them and the way they look i should get easily another 16k out of them and maybe even 26k..

Kumho's MTs are really nice, soft rubber.

Friend of Mine has a set of 31" Kumho Ats on and he lovrs them, he says they have about 60 k on themm and he'll be replacing them within the next 3 or so month before winter.

I will NEVER buy General tires. The Destination is a great choice.

really? they came OEM on my bro's frontier...but they weren't AT'S...still seemed good to me. but what do i know? i'm a rookie compared to all of you guys & gals.

i was thinking about getting these HERE from tirerack.com. i know that the new nissans have been using this brand, but according to the reviews, this tire is a good one...DIRT cheap too.

You may want to take a look at this post.

Tire Froum Link

The owner of the truck is none to happy with his OEM tires. But he does not say what they are, you may want to ask.

I have never been happy with ANY OEM tires, on any vehicle. Even the Dunlop’s on the Sienna are garbage.

I do not skimp on tires, they are all that is between me and the road.

You may want to take a look at this post.

Tire Froum Link

The owner of the truck is none to happy with his OEM tires. But he does not say what they are, you may want to ask.

I have never been happy with ANY OEM tires, on any vehicle. Even the Dunlop’s on the Sienna are garbage.

I do not skimp on tires, they are all that is between me and the road.

my 89 pathy came with toyo ATs and they were more then great.. i was super happy with them.. so happy in fact that i ended up buying at least another set.. maybe even two.. it's been a while..

my 89 pathy came with toyo ATs and they were more then great.. i was super happy with them.. so happy in fact that i ended up buying at least another set.. maybe even two.. it's been a while..

Nissan from 1989.

My experiences were with Ford products of that era, not good.

And the Sienna tires have been a disappointment for sure, we will be lucky to get 30,000 km from them (they only run half the year as we have snowies as well).

I doubt the tires QuismO are actual OME, just the replacement for OME, so they may be quite good.

So I noticed the Nero doesn't come in the OE 255/65-16 size. If you all are going with larger sizes, do you just deal with the wrong speedo readings. What sizes are you increasing to?

My speedometer is dead-accurate with 255/70-16.

The 255/65 looks wimpy; too small.

Nissan from 1989.

My experiences were with Ford products of that era, not good.

And the Sienna tires have been a disappointment for sure, we will be lucky to get 30,000 km from them (they only run half the year as we have snowies as well).

I doubt the tires QuismO are actual OME, just the replacement for OME, so they may be quite good.

trainman...i sure hope so =P. i'm low on funds with the tuition fees coming up and all, but i am in DIRE need of new tires. and on top of that, i need tires that are capable of going through the snow.

now i know that i shouldn't skimp on tires as many of you said, but i did get passed the last snow season on dueler h/t's with about 50% tread, even through some of the heaviest snow storms that the sierra nevadas has had in years. i should add that these are the older dueler h/t's that had a more aggressive tread pattern than the newer h/t's...i think that the newer h/t's have treads that look more like touring/highway treads.

i'll be the guinea pig and try these grabber AT2's =P i'll let you guys and gals know how they are although i don't go heavy offroading like many of you (but i'll test out their self-cleaning capabilities as my cousin and i go wheeling at hollister hills a few times during the fall). Most of my insight will be on highway and snow driving as i'm an avid snowboarder =P

also, i'd have to agree with or99...65 does look a little on the small side. with my 70's, i'm about 4-6mph slower than my speedo says when compared to the readings on those stationary roadside radar gun things. maybe i'll try 75's...would there be any noticeable changes in terms of tire roll while turning? i'm going with 245's as i'd like thinner tires for snow. 235 is just a little too narrow for my liking.

Edited by QuismO

Go to www.tirerack.com

Get Destination A/Ts or Yokohama Geolandar A/Ts. That is all.

I think he might have his mind set on the General's...like he said, he's short on cash and needs new tires. ;)