Any photographers among us?

Harbinger

I just got my new to me Canon Rebel G SLR in the mail yesterday :) Thank you Ebay!

So I thought I'd post up and see which other NPORA-ites were into photography, and see if anyone had some tips for starting this new hobby.

I used to be, big time. I had at one point a TON of equipment, and was even renting dark-room space.

Had a Pentax (don't remember the model) 35mm SLR with like 8 different lenses.

I've still got it somewhere. I think it's in VA. I never use it. I should probably sell it.

I know Pezzy is an aspiring photographer.

cool. do you know anything about photography? there is a lot to know.. i'd say read up all about it.. and shoot and shoot everything.. lol

there are different film speeds, f stop, shutter speed and such.. composition, lighting, depth... blah, blah, blah..

basically, you'll have to experiment with all the different settings and options. shooting a lot of film is really the key.. b&w film is pretty awesome to get good idea of how light works..

if you can develop the film and prints yourself do that because it can be magical.. ;) photography is a process and if you can do the whole thing you're in total control..

good luck and i hope you have deep pockets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photography

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F_stop

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutter_speed

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/ele/176094334.html

say cheeze!!! :laugh:

see if anyone had some tips for starting this new hobby.

Point and shoot...

I used to do abstract, still life, landscape and macro photography. So much of it is getting to know the camera, how to frame your shot, lighting, etc no to mention what you are trying to convey that it is hard to give tips beyond a certain point.

At least for starting out. Carry a note pad. Take notes of your shots, angle, lighting, camera settings, etc. Take several shots of the same thing altering 1 thing at a time (angle, framing, settings). Then sit down and compare them. You will quickly learn how to achieve the desired effect

B

I had a few Canon cameras (AE1-P, AE1, A1, and a couple sure-shot auto-focus ones). Although I did not like the time it took to focus, set the f-stop, etc, I don't much like the fully auto ones either unless youhave the option of overriding it's little brain that never seems to think the same way you do.

suggestions.... don't use crappy film, don't use crappy processing, throw a clear or UV filter on it to protect your lense and expect to take a dozen or more pics for each keeper (why digitals are nice).

oh... and don't let the kids take pictures at the beach with your expensive SLR that has lots of nice little electronics that don't like salt water and snazzy optics that don't like sand.

I have done a bit, mostly trains (duh!) on slide film, now print.

I have a Canon AE1 (my second, wore out the first) and a reasonable selection of lenses, mostly teley/zooms.

Never got into the dark room end of it and yet to do the digital part serious (my wife has a 2 mp camera).

All I can do is answer questions as best I can but not being used to the new technology, I may not be much help. The AE1 is old, 20+ years.

go to your local Comunity collage and start taking some courses you dont need deep pockets just pick a type of photography that you like like landscape and stick with it learn alot about lighting and btw b+w take the best it has the most depth enjoy yourself you'll get out of it what you put into it

nice camera!

I have the Digital Rebel, as does my dad... it's a great camera...

I hate to admit -- I dont know a damn thing about taking pics, and I still have yet to learn how to use the manual settings... *points* *shoots*

my dad got a lot of info on this board: www.fredmiranda.com

ooo cameras! i have.. olympus stylus 300. its nice cuz its weather resistant and it looks purdy. buut. i dunno I cant get it to take good pictures at all.

I think I am going to go back to film I hate having to wait to take another picture with digital. plus the camera cant focus on anything if it doesnt have its flash on.

but i love taking pictures. and some how i always get alot of drunk ones.....

anyway! I think its a great hobby. and like most have said to take alot of pictures and figure out what works best for you.

me.. i think im going to start dabbling in macro photography. soon to be building a light box and everythin. should be fun.

yeah so

happy picture taking!

We have a photography business here in Alabama, doing portraits, weddings, seniors, etc.

We use strictly Canon equipment. Check it out.

We have only been in business a little over a year so we are new to the market, but we are getting there...

I need to redo my website, if someone is bored!! Hint hint!! :lol:

www.memoriesforlife.info

-Hunter

Me and my brother used to dink around in garden of the gods and palmer park here in Co springs with our Dad's old Minolta (fully manual) SLR.. after both of us havign taken a photography class in high school in germany. I've moved to digital because I'm pretty much done doing artsy type stuff, and am back to "family vacation photo" style photography.

that and a good full manual SLR is either used or the price I'm paying for my 87 pathy anymore. P...

course, if I ever get the spare room, my dad has essentially a full dark room setup in boxes in the basement, awaiting time, room and attention.

Thanks for the info guys :-) I mostly have all the terms down its just a matter of figuring out how to apply them to my camera.

And its a Film Rebel -- I couldn't afford the $500+ digital Rebel bodies right now :) Figured film couldn't be a bad place to start (except for the $$ it takes to shoot/develop) and any accesories I buy for this one will likely transfer to a Canon DSLR if/when I upgrade.

But it came with a Sigma 28-80mm lens & an Hoya UV filter. Then I've got a friend that has a B&W darkroom in his garage, so I can practice developing B&W there. He said he also has some equipment I can borrow, some extra filters,flashes, lenses, a tripod, etc.

Already put one roll through it, its at the devolpers now, trying to get up to speed with it before I head to the OR coast in a little under 2 weeks.

post-25-1152722517.jpg

Edited by Harbinger

I took a photo class in my senior year of highschool... Hah.. I can say that now, I just graduated. Cool!

I have an ollldschool Nikon S5 or something.. Super old, rare and very very good. My photo teacher told me not to bring it to school because she was afraid it might get stolen or broken.

I still have the negatives from class.... I didn't learn much though, except for how to make a pinhole camera. Now those things are where it's at, no word of a lie. Sweeeet little things. I'll post a picture of mine, along with some pictures I took with it. It's cool!