Whoooo hooo redneckness

The Drift

Which is better ? For any and everything...  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better ? For any and everything...

• Duct tape
    • JB Weld
    • Bailing wire

So this is a two part topic and HOPEFULLY could lead some amusing posts.

1. Have you ever used JB weld to repair a leaky exhaust flange, and how well do you think it will work?

2. What is the most assinine thing you have done with JB Weld.

Come on we all know that everyone has a tube of it in the tool box, let's hear it.

1: tried to use it to patch up the stock exhaust manifold on a Ford E-150 van. Years later, this led to the confusion of the dumb clerk in the parts store asking me why I wanted 3" header collector gaskets for a Van... :X

it was cheaper to buy and have headers installed than to buy one stock exhaust manifold for that big pig. :blink:

2: uh.. ya know, I think #1 and #2 are pretty well linked... the manifold wasn't really cracked.. the entire rear port tube was pretty much cracked off. the only thing holding it on was therear bolt.

1: tried to use it to patch up the stock exhaust manifold on a Ford E-150 van. Years later, this led to the confusion of the dumb clerk in the parts store asking me why I wanted 3" header collector gaskets for a Van... :X

it was cheaper to buy and have headers installed than to buy one stock exhaust manifold for that big pig. :blink:

2: uh.. ya know, I think #1 and #2 are pretty well linked... the manifold wasn't really cracked.. the entire rear port tube was pretty much cracked off. the only thing holding it on was therear bolt.

LOL Nice

My most recent JB Weld success story would be a replacement tool for the Jack/Spare tire after I lost mine wheeling somehow and found that nissan wanted $80 for a replacement.

:D Got in a fist fight over which is better. Duct Tape or JB. Everyone knows Duct tape is better.

Oh come on you can't even compare the two. I'd say they are bothe must haves though. I can't think of an instance where I'd have to weigh using Duct Tape vs. JB though. It depends on the application.

I have used JB weld on the following.

1) cracked water jacket on an inboard boat motor. It was only cracked through to the outside so we buttened it up.. worked for over 15 years till the boat fell apart.

2) when i was in high school, me and a friend of mine were changing the motor mounts in his 66-F100. In the process of jacking the engine up, we neglected to notice the huge hole that we just broke in the side of the transmission top cover (it was aluminium). I took a piece of card board and layered the jb on thick, slapped in over the whole and wha la! that same tranny is behind a different engine in a different truck and its till the same!

If I must tell the story! Going fishing pulling a small alluminum boat. approaching the red light the boat passes the truck pulling it. Some bonehead didn't lock the hitch. The tongue hits the curb and bends 90 degrees. We walk it to a Pizza Hut parking lot and try to straighten the tongue w/ the help of a light pole. Tongue breaks in two. Solution attach the two pieces of the trailer tongue to a 2" dia. pipe approximately 3ft long. Do you JB weld or Duct tape the trailer tongue to the pipe? The duct tape will hold for approximately 1 mile! I will save the rest of the story for later just to keep it interesting.

Duct tape beats JB!

i accidentally cut a hole in my coolant reservoir....dont ask....

it was freezing cold outside...so i Jb welded it and then covered it with duct tape as extra insurence. been holding for a bit over 6 months now :aok:

and there was that one time me and....nevermind that was a different time

I have never in my life used JB Weld....

Duct Tape now thats another story in itself....

I was looking at in the parts store the other day thinking I could JBWeld the little extension tube for my EGR Tube?????

2. What is the most assinine thing you have done with JB Weld

uhmm that lil weep hole on the master cylinder between the brake booster...i thought it somehow rusted thru or something and put aluminum foil over it and jb welded on top let it sit for a day and then about 3 months later i went to hit the brakes and it went to the floor...this was when i had a cheap 1 toothed redneck to do all my work for cheap and he was like boy u made my life hard (this was before i started tackling what i thought were major jobs and before i really knew what the hell was going on with a car)

've only used Duct Tape as a very very temporary solution to stop something from jiggling or rattling.

duct tape holds in my pass side headlight in my 87...also the alignment but if it gets wet the light tends to jiggle and aim at the trees

Edited by unccpathfinder

used duct tape to hold the long body mount bolt in the back corner after putting in my body lift and wrecking the threads. with out the ducttape and bolt, the body block would pop out over bumps. ended up finding a two foot long 1/2" bit and bored out the hole and hole sawed some of the floor away. i'll upload pics of it tomorrow

JB welded a sparkplug into a Baja bug that I had driven to Cabo San Lucas. Made it almost to La Paz before it shot out into the desert (taking the wire with it) where I bought a new head and installed it on a soft shoulder...

I've duct taped tent poles, water lines, windows, headlights, electrical, rock holes, sting rays, etc... I couldn't possible list it all. I'll take the duct tape... ;)

B

you cant compare. Its like comparing apples to oranges.....I have used both for all sorts of quik fixes from a water jacket on a lincoln to keeping a car stereo in place (universal mount) oh and we must not forget bailing wire. So I cannot vote in this poll :lol:

I have never used JB weld.. but I have used a lot of duct tape. Hell duct tape is holding my radiator shroud in place right now until I figure out how to fab something else to hold it in place. I broke both tabs on the top that screw it in place. Dam cheap a$$ plastic.

I have never used JB weld.. but I have used a lot of duct tape. Hell duct tape is holding my radiator shroud in place right now until I figure out how to fab something else to hold it in place. I broke both tabs on the top that screw it in place. Dam cheap a$$ plastic.

get some sheet metal cut 2 squares(or whatever shape u need to get to a mounting place) out drill 3 holes in it 2 for pop rivits on the plastic shroud and either use exhisting holes or make new 1's to bolt it to...and if u need to bend it that can be done pretty easily and inexpensive...

duct tape, if folded over (sticky side to stick side) can pull a car out of a ditch....figure that one out. :lol:

can a jb weld do that??

Edited by cohen