General Motors/Nissan

navygz19

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When GM produces a 4 banger that can run w/ the early 90's Pulsar GTIR (not our crapy Americanized version, the Jap. spec. SR20DET) I might be ok w/ the buy out or whatever you wanna call it, till then, I still don't care for them. Their trucks are good stuff, the 350 is a GREAT engine, but I still question all U.S. manufactured vehicles, ever since the imports have been coming in, they can't seem to keep up, with the technology, or the reliability.

Yes nissan has been struggling, but as it's all ready been said, they're trying to fit in the box, SHIFT Merge :(

Edited by 88VTpathy

• 4 weeks later...

Just another d!ckh&ad looking for a bail out. PLEASE, just go bankrupt !!!

After losing $254 million in the second quarter, Ford said in July that it would have to accelerate the turnaround plan it launched in January. Last week, the company announced that it would slash fourth-quarter production by 21 percent, temporarily shutting down 10 assembly plants. It said high gas prices are pushing consumers away from the high-margin pickups and SUVs that it has long relied on.

Oh, wait, high gas prices just occurred ?? No sh!t ?? Really ??? Never thought of making a decent economy car that the public has been wanting for years ??

"High margin pickups and SUVs"... Oh, the crap that you have been making cheap and selling high to keep the company solvent ?? Have a nice day...

B

:laugh: @ ^^^^^^ yah. pretty much. must...make.........bigger.........more......... gas... guzzling.........than...anyone........else......

and then there is our little ol pre '03 pathys..... same job as the big ol boats... :rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...
Renault-Nissan and GM CEOs meet

Wednesday September 27, 12:08 PM EDT

By Benoit Van Overstraeten and Poornima Gupta

PARIS (Reuters) - General Motors Corp. (GM) will continue talks until mid-October with Renault-Nissan aimed at creating a global alliance, both sides said on Wednesday after their chief executives met.

GM CEO Rick Wagoner met on the eve of the Paris auto show with Carlos Ghosn, who heads both Renault SA and Japan's Nissan Motor Co. (NSANY) .

"It's fair to say that we agreed that October 15 is the final date before acknowledging any alliance," Ghosn told Reuters ahead of a speech at an industry conference.

He added that he expected to use the full amount of time for the discussions.

It was the first meeting between the two executives since they huddled in mid-July in Detroit and agreed to a 90-day study of a potential alliance.

Analysts have become increasingly sceptical that GM will agree to the kind of sweeping global deal that Ghosn has outlined because of the U.S. automaker's progress in recent months in cutting costs.

In a joint statement, GM and Renault-Nissan said executive teams at all three companies were still working on a study of "how an alliance could generate significant shareholder value for each company."

"Following today's meeting it has been confirmed that the teams will continue (their) studies to the planned mid-October completion date," the statement said.

No other details were given and both sides said they would not comment further.

UNDISCLOSED LOCATION

The alliance talks were first urged by Kirk Kerkorian, the billionaire investor with a 9.9 percent stake in GM, who met with Ghosn this summer.

Kerkorian's investment company, Tracinda Corp., had no comment on the developing talks, a spokeswoman told Reuters.

The talks between Wagoner and Ghosn were held at an undisclosed location. The Paris auto show is one of the major events in the auto industry.

GM, which lost $10.6 billion last year, has seen its U.S. market share fall to about 25 percent, about half of its peak from the 1970s. Largely as a result, Japan's Toyota Motor Corp. is on track to overtake GM as the world's largest automaker by volume.

Like its Detroit-based rivals, GM has been hurt by its reliance on trucks and SUVs at a time when U.S. consumers have begun to favor lighter, more fuel-efficient passenger cars, an area of the market dominated by Japanese car makers.

GM Chief Financial Officer Fritz Henderson told analysts in Paris on Tuesday that GM would carry out a "thoughtful, thorough and objective" assessment of the benefits of a tie-up with Renault and Nissan.

But he also said that GM would have to consider how the potential benefits of an expanded alliance would be shared, and whether that would fairly reward GM shareholders.

That comment was interpreted by some analysts as another sign that GM management sees itself in a stronger negotiating position that could scuttle the talks.

DISPROPORTIONATE SYNERGIES

"There are a lot of issues surrounding the potential alliance," GM spokesman Tony Cervone said, declining to be specific on the talks. "There is a feeling that there are some disproportionate synergies that need to be considered."

The Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday that GM would demand billions of dollars from Renault and Nissan for agreeing to any alliance and said this was the latest sign the proposed deal was in trouble.

Cervone declined to comment on the report. Ghosn also declined to comment regarding any specific figures in connection with the discussions.

Thomas Leritz, a portfolio manager with Argent Capital Management, who follows the auto industry but does not own any auto stocks, said GM needed an alliance given the growing pressure from Toyota and Japan's Honda Motor Co. .

"When you have an industry that's coming under pressure, the weaker players can combine to create better economies of scale, to lower overall costs to compete better with the more dominant players like Toyota," he said.

"Given GM's problems, they need to do drastic things in order to survive and thrive in this market place," Leritz said.

GM's 8.375-percent bonds due in 2033 rose in early trading by less than a cent on the dollar to 86.25 cents. Its yield fell to about 9.8 percent, according to MarketAxess data.

GM shares were up 2.8 percent, or 87 cents, to $32.28 on the New York Stock Exchange in late morning trade. The stock is up about 65 percent since the start of the year.

(Additional reporting by Michael Shields and Chang-Ran Kim in Paris, Ben Klayman in Chicago and Kevin Krolicki in Detroit)

©2005 Reuters Limited.

http://money.excite.com/ht/nw/bus/20060927...-l27906745.html

Funny...I had JUST heard of this, then you posted it, MZ.

Here goes the crapshoot again :blink:

I can't figure out if this would necessarily be a GOOD or BAD thing for GM shareholders. Are they thinking the same things as us only about Nissans for this merger?? :confused:

Edited by navygz19

Personally, My father has always sworn by gm and vowed never to buy foreign car, so growing up I was biased. NOw I own a honda and a nissan and I will probably never go back to american made cars. I do have a 04 chevy silverado which is quite powerful and nice but it sucks gas like a pig and cost $32,000 new!! And that was not even with all the bells and whistles. Does anybody else see teh problem here and why gm is failing? They are selling trucks for $40,000 that get 13-15mpg if your lucky do not forget it is a "truck" not a luxury vehicle. GM saw how much people wanted big trucks and decided to gauge americans by overpricing them and now it is biting them in the a$$. Karma baby!!!

"The companies said in a joint statement that they could not agree on what the benefits of the alliance would be or how those benefits would be distributed."

:lol::lol:

These "Officials" of each company I imagine resemble the cavemen from the Geico Insurance commercials! :lol:

Speaking of treating employees MZ, the Norfolk Ford Assembly plant here in VA. (that solely produces the F-150's) was originally slated to close it's doors in 2010...that was just bumped up to 2008 two weeks ago...sad it is. Not the Governor nor anyone else could keep it open (not that the Governor knows $hit about what's going on with Ford these days.)

Sadly, I feel that article marks the end of this thread :sniff:

Edited by navygz19

Here you go boys and girls. Maybe we should be looking at ourselves....

http://www.freshalloy.com/site/features/op...002/default.asp

Personally I had enough of domestic vehicles. Its just the same ol' crap recycled very couple of years. The only domestic vehicle that does anything for me is the new mustang. If Nissan got together with a domestic, would we get some throwback nissan designs? Or would our car line suffer and go away? (remember oldsmobile?) Guess we just have to wait and see. :shrug:

Edited by 5523Pathfinder