Turning radius? Terrible!

BobbyD

I have a '95 Pathy SE 6. I had a '91 Towncar that used less area to turn than my Pathfinder! Why is the turning radius on these vehicles so bad and is their anything that I can do to change this without emptying my bank account?

Yes, you have adjustable wheel stops... Very simple really. I don't know how much you will gain as these trucks don't exactly pivot, but I'm sure you can improve it. Just don't go so far as to let things rub.

B

I have a '95 Pathy SE 6. I had a '91 Towncar that used less area to turn than my Pathfinder! Why is the turning radius on these vehicles so bad and is their anything that I can do to change this without emptying my bank account?

my 95 is horrible compared to the 87...the 87 turned damn near on a dime (at least for suvs) but the 95 sometimes u have to swing it like an old school caddy...the 1st 2 weeks sucked b/c i'd try to slip in to a parking spot like i did in the 87 and would always have to back up but now i'm used to it and can get it anywhere i need to....but might check into the wheelstops b/c with the wider rims im thinking some1 adjusted them so they wont hit the frame at max turn

Hmmm I thought the Pathfinder had a excellent turning radius.

Maybe your just used to a large turning radius! Like I said, had a '91 Towncar that ran circles around my pathy as far as turning radius! I have been driving for the last 37 yrs. and the only vehicle that turned worse than my Pathy was a farm tractor!

Edited by BobbyD

I dunno, my pathy has a great turning radius as far as im concerned. I rarely have to back it up and try again in tight spots. Also, I can navigate parking lots almost as easily as my '01 civic... better actually, cuz with 6" of lift and 33's, I can see parking spots from a mile away :P

I find that my turning radius is pretty dern good. I got out of a tight squeeze today, after I got my first battle scar. Went over a lil hump on the side of the road, 2 feet from a tree "I've got enough room to inch forward a bit more".... do so, didn't even know the bump was there, (I was ontop of it).. down the other side and BANG! Dented front bumper, shifted grille around the pass side light...

Anyway, this isn't a battle scar thread. Yeah, I guess you could adjust it with the bump stops... I always hit mine though and it makes the grossest squeeking sound, so I tend to NOT fully turn.

I always thought this was funny. When I started the search for my pathy ('95 XE), I looked at and drove several before I found her. I was amazed at how poorly some would turn and how well others did. Two owners of the dubbed "Poor Turners" looked at me with total confusion when I informed them that their Pathys did not turn for hsit. Apparently they had never driven another Pathy, or they just loved theirs so much they were willing to overlook their inability to turn around on a 4 lane road without having to find reverse :shrug: