Tranny saving suggestions

I'm a little worried my auto tranny might be on it's way out. Seems to slip a little when taking off. It does it maybe 10 percent of the time, more so when cold I think. Anyway, just looking for suggestions on what I should try to keep it from totally self destructing (although failure may be imminent) Searching around on here, found some good info, but any other advice is welcome. Not sure I want to take it to a tranny shop. I'm a big fan of doing stuff myself if I can keep the problem at bay. I tend not to trust anyone working on my vehicles. If it does go, not sure I'd want to tackle that project. Sounds like a lot of work from reading on here just to get it out. Here's what I was thinking of doing:

Get the fluid power flushed by a shop.

Put some good fluid in (any suggestions? I was thinking redline ATF)

Maybe pull out the screen filter and replace??

Re-set the auto tranny computer

It just had a new tranny 10k miles ago, looks like the guy picked a real dandy to throw in there.

[quote

Get the fluid power flushed by a shop.]

If you get it flushed, don't go to Jiffy Lube. Just saw a story on the news here in So. Cal, they busted 5 out of 8 Jiffy Lube shops for charging customers for work (including AT power flushes!) without actually doing the work. Seems that the problem is not just a few bad nuts, but corporate policy requiring unreasonably billing per vehicle. One employee (whistle-blower) said they actually trained them how not to get caught by undercover reporters using hidden cameras. This was the 3rd such bust in 3 years in the LA area. Go to a reputable shop and watch them do it. :aok:

Edited by Nutz

LOL I meant what company.

They're all pretty much the same. You can get a good one at Advance/Checker/Shucks/etc. That's where I got mine, cost me all of $45. Cheap compared to the cost of a new/rebuilt transmission! :D

Oh yeah!....when you're installing the cooler, it would be convenient to do a Drain-Fill on your transmission at the same time, since you'll be losing some fluid anyways....don't forget to buy tranny fluid before you start like me! :crazy:

I read in a few places online that in 95 the pathfinder got a plate-style cooler for the tranny that works a lot better than the tube and fin types from the previous years and isn't as prone to clogging. Is this a typo and they meant 96 and up or is this true? If it is true, would I be ok with my 95's cooler or would you still suggest swaping it out for an explorer one or something like that?

Quote talking about a 93 pathfinder from http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/projects/pathfinder.php :

"The stock transmission cooler is prone to clogging up with clutch fiber. This starves the rear planetary gears of oil resulting in a ruined transmission. It also transfers a lot of heat to the radiator coolant, which can contribute to overheating. We solved this problem by eliminating the stock transmission cooler replacing it with the stock transmission cooler from a 1995-present Pathfinder. This cooler is a bar and plate type much like a racing oil cooler."

Thanks for any help in advance.

Edited by Electrifyliak

sorry, fixed the link but the quote is all that's really pertinent to this question, click on the introduction link towards the bottom and scroll towards the bottom of that page for the quote. But it looks like an interesting build to look at if you want to tow heavy stuff with your pathy or just improve it in general.

Edited by Electrifyliak

sorry, fixed the link but the quote is all that's really pertinent to this question, click on the introduction link towards the bottom and scroll towards the bottom of that page for the quote. But it looks like an interesting build to look at if you want to tow heavy stuff with your pathy or just improve it in general.

I read the article and I hope what he says is true as that will save me from having to install a external tranny cooler.

Yours is inside the radiator. All you need is hose, hose clamps, a cooler, cooler mounting kit and extra fluid to install one. It's fairly simple and straightforward.

Place a catch pan under the radiator on the passenger's side.

Remove the old cooler lines from the radiator(both hardline tubes on the passenger's side by the overflow bottle). Let the trans fluid drain out of the radiator and lines for a bit.

Remove the fan from it's pulley but leave the pulley on the water pump so you don't have to retension the belt. After taking the fan off, put two nuts back on to make sure the pulley stays there.

Slip/clamp hoses onto the cooler line ends(if the fittings slide back far enough) or just plain trim the flared end off the hardline and clamp the hoses on.

Using a mounting kit, mount the new cooler on the back side of the radiator(I can't remember how much clearance there is between the fan and the rad, but I'm pretty sure it was plenty), route your hoses to it and clamp them on. Zip tie the hoses together and out of the way of any moving parts. Put the fan back on. Make sure everything is tight. Watching for leaks, start it, let it warm up and then check the fluid level. Add fluid to fill as necessary.