My New Truck...

Hey all, Been a member here for a year and a half and have a whopping 5 posts. I am however a very experienced lurker. Been looking at pathfinders for almost 2 years now, finally found a pretty decent one for cheap. Not too long ago I also purchased some old 240z's for restoration, and have been getting so fed up trying to transport parts in a car, finally got serious about finding a pathy. This ones a 91 with 120k on it.

The Good:

Low price within my range, paid $1000

Great body and frame rails with very little rust (relatively speaking for a 15 yo WI truck)

Engine and Transmission seem in good working order

Quite a few options

Fairly low mileage for the price

Good Tires

Has trailer hitch and wiring that I need

Not so Good:

Had fuel leak. Fixed already, rubber hose between the fuel rails. What a PITA

Tape stuck in tape deck so all you hear is clicking.

Passenger window out of track, need to open that up and check things out.

Sport/Touring button doesn't work. I wasn't even going to worry about this, should I?

Front Torsion beams need adjusting, did that already too.

Dent in Tailgate, can probably get a paintless dent removal done.

Here's some pics:

truck15ul.jpg

truck23lo.jpg

Edited by MaximumHP

Welcome! WAVEY

Did the previous owner replace the shocks? If they replaced them with anything other than Nissan OEM shocks, the sport touring button obviously won't work. ;)

Tape deck is an easy fix: get a new deck, who listens to tapes anymore anyways?

Good looking pathy! Love the color! :cool2:

Thanks Guys.

Don’t think the shocks have even been replaced, they aren’t doing much but making noises. That’s one of the first upgrades I’m looking into.

Werd on the tape deck, figure I can pick something up relatively cheap.

Looking forward to getting some off-roading in once I feel everything is in good condition. I always worry things have been terribly neglected by the last owners (and they probably were)

:clap: niiiiice!! sly same color as mine (when it's clean) :blink: looks like you got yerself a nice pathy for $1,000 -bounce-

oh.. and hello and welcome to pathy ownership after 18 months! :beer:

So far so good. Got the fuel leak fixed, indexed and adjusted the torsion bars. Got the tape out of the tape deck, but still may upgrade, but at least I don’t hear clicking and can listen to the radio now. Cleaned it up inside and out and it’s starting to look great. I put some of that back to black stuff on the fender flares and it really helped it look a lot better. I still have some plans, but for the most part I’ve got a lot accomplished. Here’s what I still want to do soon:

Need shocks bad, they are totally shot

Still need to fix the passenger window

The passenger lock locks fine, but doesn’t unlock with the rest??

I’d like to grease the suspension

Change the tranny fluid (found I already have an aftermarket tranny cooler)

Give it a general tune up

Probably should change the diff fluid

Remove and paint the bumpers (They came black right)

I’ve tried everything and can’t get the trailer hitch receiver out

When I do get it out, Paint the trailer hitch

I want to try and fix what rust there is, it’s just on the rockers

I need new fog lights, or at least one since the passenger side glass is broken.

Fix the dent in the tailgate

Paint the spare tire holder frame

Give the paint a thorough polish and wax, there are almost no dents.

Do something about the beat up spare tire cover

After all that this thing would look great! Most of the stuff doesn’t cost much, just time in doing the work. I’m pretty much a do it yourselfer, so everything above I’ll do myself, just the part costs.

Is it a bad idea to hook one end of a chain up to the hitch receiver, the other a tree, put it in 4 wheel low and give er heck… :P I couldn’t even budge it with an air hammer.

Have you tried spraying in some solvent of some sort.. maybe even WD40 or PB Blaster to try and penetrate and free it up?

This may seem like an odd suggestion but... crawl underneath and look at the back. I had a buddy who welded his in place after having three of them stolen (one of them had a locking pin too.)

Yeah I did spray some PB in there and banged on it a little, then from behind I tried to use an air hammer to hammer it out. I tried to bang it either way with a hammer too, but it won't budge. Didn't look welded, but I should take a closer look. I was going to spend this week re-spraying it and giving it some time to penetrate and take another whack at next weekend.

My suggestion for the spare tire cover: toss it and then toss the wimpy stock spare. Go get yourself a full size wheel and tire from a junkyard (alternatively try your local classified ads, and craigslist.com). The stock spare is beyond worthless. In fact if you do use it you could end up doing some serious damage to your differential. Don't worry a 31x10.5 fits fine on the external tire carrier, got one on mine right now! A bonus of having it too: if you were to "accidently" run a red light with a camera they won't be able to see your liscence plate. (of course if you have a front liscence plate you're still SOL) ;) However a cop following you in a cop car will still be able to see it, so you won't get any "obstructed liscence plate" tickets. sly

My suggestion for the spare tire cover: toss it and then toss the wimpy stock spare. Go get yourself a full size wheel and tire from a junkyard (alternatively try your local classified ads, and craigslist.com). The stock spare is beyond worthless. In fact if you do use it you could end up doing some serious damage to your differential. Don't worry a 31x10.5 fits fine on the external tire carrier, got one on mine right now! A bonus of having it too: if you were to "accidently" run a red light with a camera they won't be able to see your liscence plate. (of course if you have a front liscence plate you're still SOL) ;) However a cop following you in a cop car will still be able to see it, so you won't get any "obstructed liscence plate" tickets. sly

That's a darn good idea, I may have to do that too. Thanks for the suggestion.

sold my tire carrier have a 31 in the back now.

if you decide yo don't want to get a 31 just yet.. i have a very very good condition spare tire cover if you're interested. ;)

Ditto on the spare tire cover, I've got a pretty good one too if you want it. Send me a couple bucks shipping cost and I'll send it to you. I just feel bad throwing it away.

For the spare, match what ya got. If you're content with the smaller stock option, more power to ya. Otherwise, switch to another of the same size diameter as your regular tires. Even if its the same size but a different brand, its a big help to relieve strain on your drivetrain.

Finally, congrats on the Pathy purchase! That sounds like a great truck for the price. You'd pay at least 3-4 times that here even for a stock truck in decent shape. Happy modding! :aok:

Thanks guys, found some wheels close by for about 35 bucks a piece. I'm really leaning this way now since it would look a lot nicer and be a lot better just in case I do blow a tire. Probably looking at about 50-60 bucks by the time I get a decent yard tire and get it mounted and balanced and such. Thanks for the offers on the tire covers, but I think I'm convinced now, especially after reading the warnings in the users manual about the small spare. I’m getting er titled and insured today.

BTW, the system shows the front and rear wheels as different because the fronts have the hole for the hub, I'm assuming a rear would fit on both, worst case I'd have to leave the decorative center off.

The "lego" wheels are the same front and back, it's the hubcaps that are different. :aok:

I would also suggest calling local tire shops and asking if they have any used tires in stock. Buying a tire from a tire shop is better than a Junkyard because they will only sell you a good used tire (well as long as it's a reputable shop). I purchased a tire from a junkyard, and when I got to the tire shop to get it mounted I found out it had a broken belt. :angry: Worst thing about the situation, no returns on tires. pssd