doors...or not to doors?

these next few weekends im hoping will be nice. im thinking about taking my doors off but i dont wanna have any harnesses just hangin out. and i dont wanna cut the wires to hide them due to the fact that *contrary to popular belief* i still have pw, pl, pm, etc.

any suggestions?

shhh. im not really caring about the unibody part of it. i drove around without a tailgate for a couple months and that alledgedly has alot of structural support in it too.

im just more concerned about the wires. lol

these next few weekends im hoping will be nice. im thinking about taking my doors off but i dont wanna have any harnesses just hangin out. and i dont wanna cut the wires to hide them due to the fact that *contrary to popular belief* i still have pw, pl, pm, etc.

any suggestions?

You want to take off the doors, but still have power windows and locks? Uh, am I missing something here? :blink: Dude, just cut the wires, wrap 'em in electrical tape and stuff them into the holes they came from!

no i think what stryker is asking is what would u do with the wires for the pl, pw, etc. when the doors are off, because "contrary to popular belief", his truck is equipped with such features. am i right max? and for that i'd just stuff them (plugs and all) as far into the holes as possible. i liked the half door idea too, tho! hmmm sounds like someone needs to go shopping at the jy!

B)

DON'T DO IT!!!!

Ok now that that is out of my system, lol, see if the parts store has any kind of quick disconnect things for wireing harnesses. For example like the male and female things on cd players so they can be removed and easially hooked back up. It would take some time to get the first install right but you would save time in the long run. I dont know if you intend on wheeling like that, but i guess if you keep it on the road and dont get into an accident everything would be ok. I dont ever drive around with my doors open so im not sure if door ajar indicator woud be the only problem but probably nothing to worry about.

Yea, too bad nissan didnt make jeep wranglers. Ill never own nothing but a nissan hopefully, gotta stay loyal, but you always what its like to try something else out. I guess were married to nissan.

Dust, Mud, Mosquitos, Projectiles. Doors are your friend off and on the road. Perhaps at the beach might be a good place to go doorless. What conditions do you see favorable for riding with no doors?

any suggestions?

Interesting idea. It'll definately be unique. Though, I can't imagine it'll look like anything more than what it is...an R50 without any doors. Not sure I would see the point in it. :confused: Oh well, to each his own. Just not really my flavor. Good luck and post pics! :D

no its a secret mz. haha.

yeah my question is what do i do with the wires (more so, where is the harness located, in the door or in the interior.) theoretically, if i remove the doors im gonna wanna put them back on if it looks completely dumb.

the upside to no doors. everyone else has them and since i like to be different...well you get my point. im not even sure if i want to do the front 2 or all 4.

id be interested in doing a half door if local jys didnt want like $500 for them... but id prob make those my actual doors and make the doors i have into half doors due to excess damage to them already.

i think well its just a thought, any more opinions would be awesome.

its a possibility which is why i wanna know what to do with wires so i can put em back if i dont like it lol. and DAN youve been looking at this thread for a while now just say something.

:mellow: just being able to take the doors off here without watching yer truck going down the road 5 minutes later with some tweaker behind the wheel would be cool. i had to lock my jeep up all the time and could never park it anywhere for more than 5 mins with the doros off.. i can imagine the holiday they'd have in my pathy with all the stereo equipment and tools......... *shivers*

first time you go plowing through the water/mud.. you would regret your decision ;)

oh yeah.... and on most everything but a jeep here.. it is illegal to have no doros without some form of protection. ;)

apparently i can't spell DOORS today :wacko:

Edited by Slick

yeah good stuff. i get wet and muddy with my doors on so it wouldnt be much of a change here. and this "mod" if you wanna call it that would give me more incentive to wear my seatbelt more often...

and dan ill drink to that haha. (ill pretty much drink to anything though.

you think instead of half doors i can take a plate of steel and make a "bottom" side plate like the jeep tubs?

• Like 1

Just unplug the wiring harness to your doors under the dash and fish it out through the hole in the door jamb. Then if you don't like the look you can put it back w/o any harm done.

BTW, I recently removed my door to replace the door pins on my WD21 and IMHO, it'll look like something from a junk yard w/o doors, although half doors could be interesting if they're done well.

I've been kicking around the idea of chopping the top off K5 Blazer-style for a while now...maybe we should have a Sawzall party.

im thinking make some sort of quick disconnect type deal maybe like trailer light harnesses that have like 6 or 7 wires in them (not really sure how many are in our doors) but some sort of quick diconnect would be cool i think esp if u could make it work so it'd snap in the door jamb and not interfer with the doors motion.....

or just completly relocate the hinges so that they go say 270 degrees and they'll flip up and secure onto the roof of the pathy and just extend the wiring harnesses to fit

half doors or tube doors...

Edited by unccpathfinder

The wiring harness unplugs under the dash on each side. It's not a single plug, but you get the idea. They don't fish all the wires from the cab and then through the door hole when they assemble the vehicle at the factory.

Next step is to make a set of tube doors that would bolt into the stock holes and latch up securely. That's how the Toyota guys do it.