aftermarket tubular Upper control arms

Cuong Nguyen

I know the tubular style arms are not perfect and square, but would their be any problems with alignment or premature wear of bushings because of it? This is more directed to the guys who have them whether the brands be AC, Super Lift, or Rough Country.

nobody's ever been able to get mine to track straight. It has always pulled a little bit to the right. i find i keep my steering wheel at the 2 o'clock position when the crown in the road is more noticeable. On a flat surface, i have to periodically correct the steering, but nothing major. mind you, i've got my t-bars about as high as you can crank them so that might have something to do with it. As for tire wear, i've had a little bit of cupping going on on the outside and inside tread blocks, but nothing to cry about. I've had the ucas installed for about a year and a half now, and the bushings are still in great shape thanks to 88 installing some zerk fittings in there. I grease them all the time as well as the balljoints and tie rod ends. All in all i'm pretty happy with the way they have been working for me so far.

I've got the automitive customizer brand installed btw.

Edited by skrillaguerilla

I just got my Rough Country arms. Reason I asked was when I opened it, I immediately saw that something wasn't right.

The rear driver side spindle tuble is not welded straight. It's not straight with the front driver side spindle tube.

The pictures show what I'm talking about. The second picture shows it even more. The bushing and spindle is centered in the rear driver side spindle tube. In that picture, the opposite end(far end)--which is the driver side front-- show's how bad it is.

DSCN0124.jpg

DSCN0125.jpg

DSCN0126.jpg

Edited by Cuong Nguyen

I think we need a second opinion from someone else that's recently upgraded to these UCAs. I wouldn't go pressing bushings into them before you check with rough country or whoever made those.

You may have gotten a bunk set of them. You should pm or email 88. I think he has the exact same brand

Edited by skrillaguerilla

yeah, I'm not. I ordered these through little foot offroad aka littlejeeper on here. He's the one selling the arms. I just emailed him about it.

The passenger side arm is fine. It's nothing remarkable like that of the driver side.

Edited by Cuong Nguyen

Here are some pictures of mine showing the differences between each side of both arms.

Arms are upside down in all pictures and with the exception of the first picture the rest are taken from the same side of the arms.

Sorry for the bad lighting :shrug:

uca018ix.th.jpg

uca025kd.th.jpg uca030ap.th.jpg

uca044nz.th.jpg uca057dg.th.jpg

Not that it really matters but I purchased these directly from Rough Country

With a rubber bushing the tolerances may be more forgiving... Mr P, is this one of the places you have installed Energy Suspension Poly bushings? Was it unusually hard to install compared to the using the rubber bushings? (or did you first install the new arms with poly bushings?)

Anybody who has installed new arms still have the stock units? If so, can someone check them to see if they if are the same or close to these.

Edited by RedPath88

Mr P, is this one of the places you have installed Energy Suspension Poly bushings? Was it unusually hard to install compared to the using the rubber bushings? (or did you first install the new arms with poly bushings?)

I used the regular (rubber) bushings they supplied, although they were pretty firm. But they went together very easy, with no wierd non-alignment.

Not that it really matters but I purchased these directly from Rough Country

the guy selling them on here is directly from RC too. he's just the middle man for them here in Canada.

but ya, mine look just like RedPaths. (i have the RC ones too)

Edited by Kn0xville

My Calmini arms were straight across, the spindle bolts slid right into place throught the bushings. The old stockers are also straight across, just looked at them. That doesn't seem right Cuong, but I'm not sure if it will matter or not.

Called Rough Country today, but since they are awaiting a shipment the tech had none that he could pull from the shelf to look at and compare. Instead he gave me SuperLifts number and had me call them. Said that if they agreed that there was a problem then he would exchange them no problem (when shipment came in and he could inspect to make sure they were not the same as mine)

Called Superlift and talked to Jason, walked him through what the problem was (he pulled a set of arms to compare) and agreed that there did seem to be a problem... the ones he had were straight according to him. Since I did not have the part number he requested that I call back with it so that he could verify that Rough Country had received the proper arms and not old outdated stock (if changes had been made to their design). He gave me two options, first one was to pay for a set then send the old ones back, once received they would credit payment back to my card. Or, send my old ones back and they would send me a new set once they had the old ones. He just needed the part number so he could issue me a return authorization (that may have been a "make sure he has them for real" move... but it does not realy matter anyway). This is the option that I chose.

However, I missed him by only minutes when I made it home and had the part number ready. Will call them back in the morning, and report back to you all tomorrow afternoon.

FYI, I also let him know that I am not the only one with arms that are like this, so they are likely going to look into the problem :Aok

***Update***

Called them back today with the requested info, which of course was not of any help to them as the part number on the box was Rough Country's and not Superlift's. And these arms do not have the part number stamped on them as he said the Superlift branded ones do.

Anyway, he authorized a return for me... just dropped them off at the UPS Store (they go out tomorrow). The arms I get back will be the Superlift versions.

When I called him back I gave him tinyurl links to the images of my UCA's posted above, when he saw them there was no doubt... though he did have to go check on them because he had never seen arms of that color (I did not ask when he returned but perhaps RC coats the arms after they get them).

After I was done with Superlift I called Rough Country back and let them know that Superlift agreed that there was a problem and since Rough Country had referred me to them, they issued me a return authorization directly. I also suggested that they check the arms in the next shipment that they get and gave them links to the images as well, which they eagerly took all the info on this that I had :aok:

Looks like they might have been pulled out of whatever jig they use before laying the final beads and heat warped screwing with their alignments (or someone knocked the jig outa wack and no one caught it). Either way, makes you wonder about quality control if they were sent out like that.

what hater, err i mean Ryan said. i bought mine last summer and i just threw my mounting rods in them to double check how straight they are, and they line up 100 %. who ever is working that line should be fired.. bet its some new punk kid who throws everything in a box with the OKAY on it. P...

Edited by Kn0xville

Either way, makes you wonder about quality control if they were sent out like that.

Well no Quality Control program is ever 100% effective. They try but it boils down to QC being largely human and it is human nature to make the occasional mistake. ;)

Well no Quality Control program is ever 100% effective. They try but it boils down to QC being largely human and it is human nature to make the occasional mistake. ;)

True, but when it is a part made for a vehicle, there are liability issues to think about as well. Not to mention the error here would have been easy to spot if they just threw a straight edge on them like the people that bought them did. :shrug:

Guest littlejeepr

Once I got the particulars I called rc right away, they seamed a little shocked but they are sending out that new set right away, for him. RC didn't have a problem with getting the problem fixed considering that somewhere along the line something got screwed up. It's good to know that they are willing to get things fixed up right away for people. also coung if you want to call rough country call ask for clay ext 125 he is the guy I have been dealing with on this issue for you, I'm certain he will be happy to help.