Ahhh rust!

ILoveMyPatty

Okay so I removed all four fender flares the other day, and revealed some "surface rust"... Surface rust... pchhh.. yeah right. After grinding away at the rust, it got deeper and deeper, wider and wider.. Now I'm left with multiple holes around my fenders and rockerpanels. I am scrooged!

Drivers side rear fenderwell/rockerpanel.

IMG_2692.jpg

IMG_2694.jpg

IMG_2690.jpg

Drivers side front rockerpanel area... I know I know.. It's absolutely hideous... It spread like a wildfire while my truck was dirty...

IMG_2693.jpg

Passenger side behind wheel well.

IMG_2687.jpg

Passenger side rear wheel well.

IMG_2689.jpg

Passenger side front fenderwell.

IMG_2705.jpg

As she sits right now.

IMG_2707.jpg

IMG_2706.jpg

I have no idea how I'm going to fix these massive holes. I really need some tips, they would be greatly appreciated.

Help pleeease!

Thanks!

If you want the repair to be good looking and hard to notice, you really have no choice but to have a metal craftsman form and weld in new sheet metal.

If you just want to plug the holes and stop the cancer and really DON'T care what it looks like, you can patch it up yourself with minimal skills or expense.

- grind off ALL evidence of rust,

- coat the inside of the panel with POR-15 to stop the rust from continuing to spread on the inside.

- shoot some 2 part expanding foam into the cavity (foam that is compatible with resin!)

- shape the surface of the foam so it looks kinda like what the metal used to look like.

- Lay a couple layers of fiberglass over the top.

Depending how well you did, it may (or may not) look like h#!!, but it will stop the rust and let you drive it for a few more years.

Talk to the folks at a fiberglass supply place. There are special foams that are resistant to the resins. Many foams will dissolve so you have to use the right stuff. We used to use florists foam for building plugs to make molds - but it comes in solid blocks and not injectable.

Here's a good source for materials and knowledge - been around for decades.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/cm/foam.html

Drivers side rear fenderwell/rockerpanel.

IMG_2692.jpg

Heh, started poking at the rust on my 93 in that area (fixed once 3 years ago), it looks a little worse than that, guess I didn't kill all the cancer so it came back.

Guess I found my next project on that truck :angry: