What's the largest size tire I can put on a 95 XE?

Guest GreekTTC

Guest GreekTTC

My 95 XE has stock suspension...and it's time for new tires. Can I go up one size without rubbing? What size would everyone recommend? At the tire place up the street, an employee told me I couldn't increase the size at ALL or it would rub. I don't buy it.

Can I put slightly bigger tires on the stock suspension without rubbing?

Thanks all.

-Charlie.

The largest size you can run on a stock WD21 Pathy is 31x10.5x15" Alot came with that sized tire stock, if you had the offroad package.

Guest GreekTTC
The largest size you can run on a stock WD21 Pathy is 31x10.5x15" Alot came with that sized tire stock, if you had the offroad package.

Yes, the SE has the 31s. I thought the SE also had slightly raised suspension?

So you're saying I'd be alright with those SE size tires on my non-sport edition pathy?

i didn't have the 31's stock... mine came with 215/75/15's stock.. :laugh: hahaha.. i put 31's on and cranked the t-bars a bit n did the JGC coil install and i don't have too many problems :aok:

My '87 XE was wearing 31x10.5 with no problem when I bought it. The previous single owner was not aware of anybody doing any suspension lifting.

When I put the brand new Cooper STT 31x10.5-15LT's on, I got the tiniest of scuff rub at certain turn angles over bumps. Not enough to even look into and solve. I'd estimate these Coopers are one of the largest 31x10.5's out there. Yes, they are all slightly different.

My other set of "street wheels" are shod with A/T P255/70-16's. Fit nearly identical. Just a little scuff every now and then.

Bottom line:

- You should be fine with anything up to 31x10.5-15LT's or P255/70-16's, barring usage of wheels with abnormal backspacing.

- You should be looking for a new tire place, preferably one where they have a clue. This guy appears to only want your money, not to help you.

yup. i got 31" mudders on mine.. no problemo.. i lost one of the fender flares las t weekend and it sure looks like one could stick even bigger tire on there.. i haven't tried it yet though. a freind of mine has some 32" that i may give a shot to.

As everyone has said 31's should fit just fine. You might have to adjust the torsion bars a little but that is a very simple procedure that anyone who knows how to turn a wrench could do. :aok:

See my sig for a pic of a pathy on 31's. I have my t-bars adjusted a little so that the front rides even with the back. :aok:

Guest GreekTTC
As everyone has said 31's should fit just fine. You might have to adjust the torsion bars a little but that is a very simple procedure that anyone who knows how to turn a wrench could do. :aok:

See my sig for a pic of a pathy on 31's. I have my t-bars adjusted a little so that the front rides even with the back. :aok:

Do you have a quick link to a "how-to" on torsion bar adjustment? I'll search around a while...

Thanks.

Guest GreekTTC
Bottom line:

- You should be fine with anything up to 31x10.5-15LT's or P255/70-16's, barring usage of wheels with abnormal backspacing.

- You should be looking for a new tire place, preferably one where they have a clue. This guy appears to only want your money, not to help you.

LOL.

I think I might go with some Yoko Geolanders in 31x10.5x15. I'm on stock rims so the backspacing issue won't arise.

As far as the tire place goes...I just stopped by the one that's 30 seconds from my house to ask what one size up from my stock 235x75x15s would be. He said he didn't think I could upsize at all. Right then and there I realized he didn't know what in the hell he was talking about, so I turned to you NPORA peeps B)

LOL.

I think I might go with some Yoko Geolanders in 31x10.5x15. I'm on stock rims so the backspacing issue won't arise.

As far as the tire place goes...I just stopped by the one that's 30 seconds from my house to ask what one size up from my stock 235x75x15s would be. He said he didn't think I could upsize at all. Right then and there I realized he didn't know what in the hell he was talking about, so I turned to you NPORA peeps B)

you turned in a good direction. mine came stock with the same size and i upgraded to 31's.. that guy sounds like a tard...... and he was lazy about not checking for you. bypass that place on your final destination for tires ;)

I am not aware of any difference between the suspensions with the SE's.. and not all SE's came with 31's

Mine was wearing 235/75-15, from the factory. I put 31/10.5's on and did nothing to the suspension... they work fine. I get a "little" rub on my idler arm but I think that is simply because I am using the stock chrome wheels while I believe most, if not all the trucks that came with 31's stock used the optional wheels.

The little bit of rub that I do get is at left hand steering lock, but is not enough to cause concern... You should be fine :aok:

Well, technically its rubbing the lower washer and brace and not the actual arm itself...

idlerarmrub8hz.th.jpg

I know I can adjust the stops, but have not done so because it's not a big problem.. it barely touches and I don't typically turn to lock anyway. I will see how it is after I install the JGCC, RC UCA's and swap the wheels out with another set I have.. If it's still doing it then I probably will.

Edited by RedPath88

sly ooh. where'd you get that brace red? me likey :)

Mechman2K made it for me (I painted it), it's does the job but as 88 I am sure, will point out, it has it's flaws... Something I plan to address if I ever find a deal on a welder ;)