Harmonic tuned spark plugs

Earth1

A friend told me about this guy. He started using these on an older Chevy pickup and swears by them. Said they improved his mileage by almost 2MPG when he started using them. An interesting read for you technical types. -study-

Link:

sonic spark plugs

I think I may give them a try with my new motor. May be worth a shot for about the cost of premium plugs. Since he's local for me, I'll go talk to him in person and see what he thinks about a set for my new cams.

Engineer steps into the room.

Looks around.

BWAAAAAAHHHHH HAAHHHHHHHH HAHHHHHHHH!

Leaves shaking head....

Hopes to farrt soon to clear the smoke that was blown up there...

It's amazing the stuff people will try to sell to make a buck. At least the pet rock people were honest about what they were selling.

Oh come on. Isn't it possible it's at least a slightly better plug? Couldn't a knowledgeable person tweak a plug for better performance? My friend Marcus is a pretty bright guy and says the plugs are the the best he's used. I will talk to this dude. If you think he's FOS give me some ammo and I can at least try to bust his balls. The guy has some impressive credentials, unless you think he's just making it all up.

Is it possible? Ummmmm.... Ye... no, I just can't say it. I really believe it is a maybe at best. Is it likely? No.

There have been soooooo many "revolutionary" spark plugs over the years.... surface fire, Split fire, u-groove, v-groove, Triple lutz with a fandangle groove. After witnessing so many fads, I have gotten rather jaded. B)

They all shared three things in common: 1) They cost more, 2) always produced dramatic improvements when tested by the manufacturer, 3) Everybody who actually performed "blind testing" on them back to back with equally new standard plugs found absolutely no difference.

The secret? Compare their new fangled plugs to "standard plugs" (now switch to the very fine print) with at least 100K miles on them. (Revert to normal size print) SEE?, the results are dramatic!

But if compared to brand new standard plugs? Errr.....

With the exception of iridium plugs, all of the semi scientific and objective tests I've seen comparing ANY of the new fangled plugs to new standard quality plugs showed no reproducible advantages or improvements. And even the iridium plugs are a very marginal improvement - not enough to justify the costs for most non-racers.

And this "article" was filled with soooooo much jargonistic double speak it made me want to puke and triggered all of my BS detectors. Sorry! So much bull puckey it was hard to see if any value. I have to fess up and admit I couldn't finish reading it.

Here's the fact: Combustion chamber design is far and away the most significant factor in efficiency and power. If he denies that, he is yet another shyster.

Talk to the guy, ask him about combustion chamber designs and in which ones will this plug provide the most dramatic, or least dramatic results. If he tries to tell you it works equally well in all engines, you can safely walk away and know he is full of it. If he says it works dramatically well in some older american engines, but provides almost no improvement in some modern high tech engines, well, let me know and I'll try to read it again.

Wonder if those would help the performance of these:

If you haven't seen this you'll die laughing, if you have, you'll laugh all over again!

:lol:

its all about the WOO WOOOOO!!!

lol, Personally I think The typical Ricer Fart cans are JUST as bad, if not worse than those things.Even ones that are done tastefully that make the car sound like it might actually have some grunt to it. The reason? When they take off from a dead stop, they still have to rev their cars to 4000rpm cause its still gutless.

sure sounds like a snake oil to me. to a degree, all spark plugs are teh same with a few exceptions. and yes, some run better in other engines than the rest. but there is no gaining that kinda hp or effeciency unless what you had before was pretty much gone.

as for the "ricer muffler" comment. yeah, most idiot kids slap one on a stock exhaust system and have no clue of its true function. however, cannister mufflers do their job when used appropriatley and applied correctly. unfortunatley...99% of the time they are not used properly. and i dunno that id be knocking on other vehicles addressing a "lack of grunt" on a pathfinder forum. i think every vehicle within the last 10 years save for a geo metro came with more ponies than our trucks :lol:

the spark serves only one purpose... to ignite the fuel. Big spark, little spark, harmonically tuned supersonic backtwisting double lutz spark, it doesn't friggin matter as long as it't therer and enough to ignite the fuel. What we need is CONSISTENT spark. Failure to spark causes less horsepower, worse fuel economy, lousey emissions, etc.

now... with that said... putting magnets on your fuel lines to align the electrons and cause better flow through the system.... THAT'S SCIENCE! :) :) :)

My father is a retired physicist. I mailed him the link. :)

His reply....

hehe:

Ain't superscience wonderful.  So we have a spark plug with a sonically tuned hole in it and it resonates at 125 kilohertz.  So how is that supersonic, a physicist might ask...and where is the feedback mechanism that gets the thing into resonance, a physicist might ask...hey if we combine this with magnetically modified fuel we might get...normal gas mileage or better..maybe.  Where do you find this stuff?

Dad

we're not picking on you Josh, we're just all laughing at those types of products (like the hair-dryer turbo charger or the vortex airflow crap). Add it to the cross-drilled brake lines and blinker fluid list.

These sound AWESOME!!! I wonder if I can get them at the same place I buy my halogen blinker fluid?!?!? :D:P

WHAT!?!?!?!?, HALOGEN BLINKER FLUID, where the crap do you find that stuff, i cant find halogen anywhere, i just plain muffler bearing fluid now

we're not picking on you Josh, we're just all laughing at those types of products (like the hair-dryer turbo charger or the vortex airflow crap). Add it to the cross-drilled brake lines and blinker fluid list.

Cross drilled brake lines? :lol:

OK I fold. :hide:

Let's kill this one already.

I hope you don't feel we're hammering on you in any way. I'm definitely not!

I actually appreciate folks bringing these up - that's the best way to learn. Someone mentions a concept, and then it gets discussed, and then analyzed, and voila! We hopefully all learn something.

That is truly Science in action, and how things progress.

Thank you for bringing it up. Please continue to do so.

If I ever counted up how many questions I've asked in my lifetime that I later considered "not so bright?, sheesh. :blink:

My personal mantra: "Dohhh... I'm learning"!

Only cause I am suffering from some terrible flu symptoms, not that I like to start trouble or nuthin, that I add *fuel* to this dying fire....

It does seem theoretically possible that you could cause a plasma ejection and acceleration by creating a specifically sized convergent-to-divergent duct (in the place they show), and filling it with the critical mass of fuel to achieve a supersonic speed, IF all the stars line up with the phase of the moon, to equal the angle of the dangle and the heat of the meat, then blammo, add at least 1/1000 HP for that cycle.

OK, so I am having a brainstorm idea (If this ever gets patented, I'll cry);

If we create a hollow spark plug ground electrode through which to feed a pressurized fuel/air mixture into the combustion chamber of the convergent/divergent duct (basic rocketry folks), then such a system would more consistently achieve the claims of this inferior product.

Who is with me!?