Low fuel idiot light

navygz19

Just wondering.......

In my old car, a 2k2 Sentra, when the fuel light came on it almost seemed that you didn't want to go more than 10 miles or so, before the thing started hesitating (especially on uphills!) But on my 2k2 Pathy 3.5, it seems as if it comes on VERY early. So my question is...how far does everone usually go after seeing the gas light? (which I see more and more these days, as fuel cocts are soaring!) I know the fuel gauge isn't that reliable, I always use the miles to determine how much fuel I have left. Just wondering.

Cheers! :beer:

I've successfully squeezed 40 km's after the light comes on, but I am paranoid about running out of gas... I suppose that # is also affected by your typical mileage and how you drive...

I actually believe there has already been another thread on this - did you try a search?

easiest thing to do is run down till the light comes on then fill your tank. Check your OM or FSM to see your tank capacity and do the math.

I always thought that this was addressed in the OM or FSM. :shrug:

Edited by k9sar

Pezzy...I did try a search. Got 10 pages of hits on non-related posts. But I bet that this HAS been addressed before...any help on narrowing results?

K9...I always do do the math...and according to the gauge, when it's at the last line (E) on level ground, to me that should say it's time to fill up...but there have been times where I would only put in 17 gallons to fill it...out of a 20 gallon tank. I know that gas gauges are only a good estimate of approximate fuel, but that seems a little too off. :shrug:

Edited by navygz19

Determine Pathy’s MPG. Determine fuel tank capacity. Fill tank completely full. Reset odometer. Record Mileage when light comes on. Divide this mileage by MPG. Subtract total from Fuel tank Capacity. Multiply remainder by MPG. Total will be how many miles to total empty.

Example….

17.54 mpg

20 gal. tank capacity

Light comes on at 301.9 miles.

301.9 / 17.54 = 17.21 Gallons of gas have been used before light comes on.

20 - 17.21 = 2.79 Gallons of gas remains in tank

2.79 x 17.54 = 48.94 miles to empty.

I do not know your fuel tank capacity, but it would be most important to know your remaining fuel when light comes on. MPG can fluctuate greatly by driving conditions. Also hesitation can occur with a gallon gas remaining in the tank.

Further warning may be philosophical, but I believe impurities in the gas can be more concentrated in an empty tank rather than a full tank. Empty tanks can also condensate. This can be bad for fuel system. You might want to consider a fill up after every 100 miles. There is no difference in cost putting 5 gallons of gas in a full tank or empty tank.

Thank you dagwoodzz. It's a good thing you did so well in math classes, because I sure didn't :D I always try to fill up at 1/4 tank at LEAST, because I do worry about condensation especially on particularly warm days and cool nights (like we had the last few days...85 degrees in mid march!) Impurities I'm not sure about, though I agree that there's no difference in price between filling every 100 miles vs. emptying a tank (unless fuel prices jump 16 cents on average in 1 day, like they just did here!)

My light doesn't even light up, I've seen it once, but thats when the needle was below the Empty mark. The longest I've driven when I saw the light was 4 miles. Like Pezzy said, paranoid.

Did they increase the tank size in your model year? That day that I the light did warn me, I filled up to 15.5 gallons. I thought it was only a 16gal. A 20 would be awesome, less fills.

A 20 would be awesome, less fills.

VG33 is a 16 gal. tank, I think whereas the VQ's have a 20 (.2 I think?)

Believe me, the only time you notice those extra 4 gallons are at the pump :laugh:

My light doesn't even light up, I've seen it once, but thats when the needle was below the Empty mark. The longest I've driven when I saw the light was 4 miles. Like Pezzy said, paranoid.

Did they increase the tank size in your model year? That day that I the light did warn me, I filled up to 15.5 gallons. I thought it was only a 16gal. A 20 would be awesome, less fills.

the '97 SE came standard with a 20.8 g tank

I'm not sure where you guys are getting your specs from, but just about every spec I've read about the R50, no matter what model or year, indicates it has a 21.1 gallon (80 liter) fuel tank.

In my experience, the low-fuel indicator light usually starts glowing solid when there is about 3.5 gallons left. On my truck, that means I better start thinking about refueling within the next 50 miles.

Edited by XPLORx4

It probably should be called a gas guesser rather than a gas gauge. When the tank is full the gauge shows more than full. When you almost empty the gauge shows more than empty. It is more accurate than a weatherman, but not much.

I keep a pretty close eye on my mpg's. My light comes on about about 280 to 290 miles and I wont push it more then to 330miles after the light comes on. About the same as what XPLOR said. I read somewhere the tank was 18.5 gal approx?

Though I am inacordance with the 21.? gal I thought that I actually read that the light comes on with 2 gals left...but my personal experience when the light is on and stays on (meaning it doesn't shut off in turns or whatever) it has the 2.5-2.8 maybe even 3 gallons left. :D

It probably should be called a gas guesser rather than a gas gauge. When the tank is full the gauge shows more than full. When you almost empty the gauge shows more than empty. It is more accurate than a weatherman, but not much.

You got that right. I filled up today, gauge was between the E and 1/4 tank line, so about 1/8 of a tank. So should have taken 70 l (7/8 of 80 l). But only took 55 l :shrug: . Oh well, no excuse for running out of fuel :lol:

i have squeezed 50 miles out with the gas light on...

yeah its a 21 gallon tank and mine lights up with about 3 gallons left

it's not good to run low on a pathfinder - the internally submerged fuel pump uses the gasoline to keep cool. It gets hot when you're running on empty.

• 5 years later...

My light stopped coming on. I put in 19.7 one time and the light had not come on

This is what I'm wondering about, my 97 Pathfinder is new to me and I haven't seen the light come on yet.

Is there a test? Like when the ignition is on but the engine is not running? Where is the light? In the gauge?

My biggest fill up was about 16 Gal.

Thanks for any input!!! :D

My light stopped working al together. Hell, the pathy died from no fuel, and still no light! Oh well, now I just keep it above a 1/4 tank as much as possible.

Jose

My light stopped working al together. Hell, the pathy died from no fuel, and still no light! Oh well, now I just keep it above a 1/4 tank as much as possible.

Jose

Have you checked the bulb?