Newbie from NC

ntwrkguy1

Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a newbie to the world of Pathfinders -- actually buying a black '97 SE tomorrow for my 16 yr old son. He's excited, since it's his first car, and I'm excited, since I get to learn about another car. I'm a huge fan of Internet forums, since I believe the 'knowledge of the parts is greater than the whole', so to speak.

I look forward to browsing the boards for hours, looking for tips/tricks on the '97. And yes, I promise to keep the "ask question first, search second" episodes to a minimum! :)

I'm not ALL that mechanically inclined, but I do bring 20 years of automotive detailing experience to the table. So hopefully I can share my expertise while everyone else shares theirs!

Thanks,

Ntwrkguy1

WAVEY hello and welcome!!! *tip* if the pathy is an auto.. please make first investment an aftermarket tranny cooler and install immediately* ok.. so!! detailing eh??? that means : "find mud, proceed to dunk pathy until fully covered, remove from mud and drive dry" :D just messin with ya. :P or was i?? hmmm... hehehe

WELCOME!!!!!!! -bounce-

WAVEY  hello and welcome!!! *tip* if the pathy is an auto.. please make first investment an aftermarket tranny cooler and install immediately*  ok.. so!! detailing eh??? that means : "find mud, proceed to dunk pathy until fully covered, remove from mud and drive dry"  :D  just messin with ya.  :P  or was i?? hmmm... hehehe

WELCOME!!!!!!!  -bounce-

Thanks for the welcomes! The good news is that it's a 5-speed.....the bad news is my son has never driven a manual transmission! No beers for him, but I'll undoubtedly need a few after teaching him how to drive with a clutch!

Slick -- detailing is definitely whatever you want it to be :) For example, my neighbor defines detailing as 'cleaning the bugs off the paint with one of those green scratchy pads I use in the kitchen'. When he told me that, I almost fell over!!

Slick -- detailing is definitely whatever you want it to be :) For example, my neighbor defines detailing as 'cleaning the bugs off the paint with one of those green scratchy pads I use in the kitchen'. When he told me that, I almost fell over!!

as for learning to drive a manual.. pathy's are pretty forgiving.. kudos on the 5 speed ;) (mine's a 5 spd too)

OMG :o he did NOT use a scouring pad? please tell me that was a joke? daaaaaaamn......... i am not even that cruel to my pathy..... at least she gets pressure washed after the mud has had a couple days to set firmly and dry solid lol.. and of course i have driven through town at least 2 times to show off pathys can do it too sly but NEVER a scouring pad.. that is just wicked.....

He really did use the scratchy pad to get the bugs off......and then proceeded to ask me "Do you know how to get those scratches out?" I made him throw the pads out, then spent the next 90 minutes working on his hood. He actually would do better never washing his car, because then he wouldn't see any of the defects!

Thanks for the welcomes!    The good news is that it's a 5-speed.....the bad news is my son has never driven a manual transmission!  No beers for him, but I'll undoubtedly need a few after teaching him how to drive with a clutch!

Oh cool! 5-spd. R50's are awesome :D though I am yet to drive one.

This is the first automatic I've ever had and I'm missing the clutching actiaon greatly...manybe means I need to find a WD21 for sale :P

Anyhow, welcome to the boards!

Edited by navygz19

Welcome...what part of NC?...I'm in Charlotte and moved here from Fayetteville

being 22 now my 1st truck (technically 2nd the 1st i had 5 days B4 it got totaled) was an 87 pathy which i currently have had since i was 16...it was so good that when i just recently decided to break it i bought a 95 as my daily driver

Welcome WAVEY

I normally detail the branch scratches with mud, followed with a random rain shower and at times take out the big gun (the power washer) and spray the under body followed by my drive way :P

But I'm open to new techniques -bounce-

Unccpathfinder -- I'm in Cary, over by Raleigh.

mzextreme -- the beaches here are nice.....but not as nice as the beaches in FL where I grew up. I'm originally from Clearwater, FL, and the beaches on the Gulf Coast of FL are beautiful. The sand is as fine as sugar!

Oh cool! 5-spd. R50's are awesome :D though I am yet to drive one.

This is the first automatic I've ever had and I'm missing the clutching actiaon greatly...

hehee... does yours have that imaginary clutch you get in and step on every now and then, as you revert to your old ways?? I've had my truck not quite 2 years, and still look for that.

hehee... does yours have that imaginary clutch you get in and step on every now and then, as you revert to your old ways?? I've had my truck not quite 2 years, and still look for that.

You know the feeling all too well :laugh:

It's worst when I start the truck up, as in every other car I had the clutch had to be depressed (except in my old D21 4x4, in which you didn't have to clutch it when starting on a hill...cool feature :D )

Cary's a nice place...if your familiar with the wilmington area and you like to fish/camp when the weather gets a little nicer you should jump on I-40 and go down to ft fisher/Carolina beach and go camp out on the north end for a weekend it'd give the pathy a good run in the sand...now that im so far away from the coast now i miss getting down there and fishing about every weekend