question about a roof rack

sammyb33

ok i was looking around the other day, and really was looking for a good looking functional roof rack. I am not going to be putting my spare up there, but i go camping a lot, and a rack would be very helpful. So not a lot of gear has to go up there, but it will be used. I have seen a few people with the wind deflectors that say Nissan on them, and was just wondering where those people got them, and if they got them from the dealership. I know the dealership prices are amazingly high compared to others, but i always like the look of factory, so price (if it's at the dealership) is not a problem.

Thanks in advance,

-Sam

I'd say go with Thule or Yakima set of crossbars, and get a basket or a cargo box.

You can probably score a base rack (Thule 400 or Yakima Q-Tower) off eBay for cheap, then if necessary get a proper set of clips/pads for the Pathy from a Thule or Yakima retailer.

For baskets, there are many options, but I myself have been pimping a Thule Summit box which swallows my tent, sleeping bag, self inflating matteress, some clothing, shoes, jumper cables (25' of AWG2), foldout chairs, potatoe cannon, come alongs, spare oil/air filters, alternator, starter, and more.

The box keeps it all dry and out of the view of stupid young punks.

IMG_4251.jpg

ok, i thought i had seen one or two that actually had "NISSAN" written on them, maybe not. But what i am looking for is a basket, since i have the factory rack, i would like something like this, which is a yakima rack...

LINK

ok, i thought i had seen one or two that actually had "NISSAN" written on them, maybe not.  But what i am looking for is a basket, since i have the factory rack, i would like something like this, which is a yakima rack...

LINK

His is a Conn-Ferr basket on a Yak rack. I got a Coleman Basket for $100 at Target a little less than a year ago and threw it on my stock rack.

rack1.jpg

Edited by GrimGreg

Guest whitca

I've been looking for a basket too, but my XE doesn't have a factory rack. What do you guys suggest? I plan on putting my spare up there as well as some lights and wind deflector. I just don't know what the easiest and cleanest way to do it is. I've thought of the one from AC and about just getting a factory one from a junk yard and installing it. If I were to do this, what would I gain? Is it a better idea? hard to install?

I'd bet a Yakima rack set-up with towers and cross bars could handle a far larger/heavy capacity than the stock ones. I've got the Yakima set-up, with a home-made basket that I adapted loosly from Mookie's design. I've put storage containers, coolers, etc. up there, and Mookie said he used to keep his spare on his. If I remember right, the factory racks have a pretty low recommended weight limit. As far as the fairings, I bet people just put on a Yakima or Thule one and applied a Nissan sticker or something.

yes Mr. P that was my suspicion after i was told they did not make fairings for pre 96. yes, i was looking at buying a yak now, and possibly getting a fairing and doing exactly that. Thanks for all the input guys...