New MAYBE, San Francisco/East Bay

Guest hank

Well, the neighbors are ready to sell it.

220k miles, 1991. Sounds like they never realized it had a timing belt, they thought it had a chain so never did anything about it.

Mechanics receipts they saved -- nothing new since 1991 -- said the engine manifold was leaking on both sides. I've read that those fall off.

I'm going to be looking for a good reliable mechanic for checking this thing over if we get that far -- I'm in Berkeley/El Cerrito area.

We do a lot of mountain road/fire road 4wd driving -- but in first gear low, mostly. We do fire restoration/field botany work in our copious spare time, and take kids camping in the summer, on long field trips.

My old 1983 Tercel wagon was good enough for me, but now I need room for more people. The 1988 Subaru wagon I replaced it with has 240k miles and isn't all that reliable.

But we drive a total of maybe 4,000 miles a year -- up to the forest, back to the Bay Area for long weekends, half highway miles, half steep forest roads in low range low gears creeping along.

Help? Hoping for local help checking out this vehicle -- and if not this one probably another one, since my beloved wife drove this one last night and says she wants one.

Me, I don't want another pile of trouble. I don't mind paying a mechanic if I can find one I can trust.

I can tell you some Subaru mechanics I know I can't trust .... the Subaru has 240k on it now.

And if I don't buy this one, I can refer the next person to the seller.

Seller's hoping to get upwards of $3k for it. I'm just worried it's got a lot of trouble he hasn't seen yet, and I've never owned or drive one of these before.

I read about the transmission fix for more oil, I'll crawl under it and compare the picture on the TSB to see if the fill plug's the new higher position or the old one.

I might be able to recognize the exhaust problem but would rather have a good mechanic who knows these things look at it.

Other stuff -- again, I'm hoping for a referral to a reliable local shop that would know what to check out. Well, praying, anyhow.

I'll check back tomorrow.

$3000 is way high for a vehicle with that many miles that has never seen a timing belt. The timing belt interval on those Pathfinders is 60,000 miles...thats almost 4x the lifespan of the belt!

I'd walk away and find another one that was taken care of better.

^^^Good posting/advice!

Weclome. Hope you stay around. :beer:

I agree with both the above, look for something else.

You are only gaining 20,000 miles on the Subaru and with no maintenance records (and the t belt never done, it is only the 3.5 motor that has the chain) I would be suspect of how it has been looked after.

Good luck in your search.

Welcome perspective buyer! WAVEY

$3000 is WAY too much for a pathy that hasn't had a timing belt change with that many miles. Even for Cali pathys (which tend to go for more than here than in other states). If you want one that has a LOT of very good modifications and has had maintence check out transworldmotos rig in our vehicles for sale section (although another forum member MIGHT be buying it, not sure on the specifics yet). He's located in San Jose.

Also make sure to check out craigs list, I just found this one which is a MUCH better deal (and it's got the optional 31x10.5 tires!): http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/car/127620524.html . If you need help checking out pathy's we have a number of members in the bay area who I'm sure would be willing to help you out. I, by the way, am in Santa Cruz.

Hope you decide to get a pathy! :aok:

I second everything the guys before me said with no records and no new timing belt your asking to be screwed if you give them that much money for one

Now dont get me wrong i love my high miage pathy 237000 and still strong

no smoke ive got an exhaust leak up at my manifold pass side like they all get with the original bolts but other than that an my recent horribly dirty injector

And i think that was partialy my own fault

but i only gave 1500 for mine and I drive it every day plus offroading on the weekends

but the first 40.00 that went in it was the timing belt and tesioner

So personally i recomend a pathy :cool2: just not that one

you can find a much better deal

I am close enough to you that I could come check it out, but with such unreliable maint history, i would be weary for sure.

With broken manifold studs, you will definitely have work to do, now, or very soon.. and $3,000 is WAY too much! i paid $3600 for my 114,000 mile 92 pathy 2 years ago.

As above... step away and seek another pathy.. check craigs list, there have been some good ones listed.. check all areas.... once the bugs are worked out, pathys are very reliable. take it from me.. even sick, broken and in need of love.. they just keep running :bow:

oh.. and welcome!! WAVEY

They're calling the shops that did their maintenance to ask them to send a copy of the records -- could well be they did get more work done than they kept copies of, and they agreed to check on that.

There's this thing called Parental Retroactive Amnesia that happens when you have a new kid, I understand -- you forget everything in your past (grin). So I'll know more soon on that.

Can anyone recommend an experienced mechanic in the East Bay/SF area who could check out and give an opinion on this or another vehicle?

I realize a lot of board participants are experts -- but figure it'd only be fair to have a licensed repair place do a formal check and estimate for value/needed work, on a sale between people who none of us know much about these vehicles.

Probably we won't buy this one, given what we know -- probably someone will who wouldn't show up here asking for advice ! -- but I'll keep at this til we know all the details we can find. After that they'll probably put it on Craigslist or Ebay and see if they can get the money they would like to out of it.

But this is an honest seller -- while he said straight out he'd rather sell it to someone on an as-is-ran-ok-for-me basis, I offered _not_ to show him the stuff I found out about likely problems, if he wanted to stay uninformed. And he was willing to take the printouts and think over what he'd missed doing maintenance and repair and see how he felt after the belated education.

It's ok either way, he bought a newer used Pathfinder to replace this one, so I'll educate him about what to look for now, while considering buying his old one.

I've followed the two pointers above to other vehicles and sent inquiries.

We can do this for months! before we decide, if need be.

Educate me more, please!

Howdy Hank. Being a local (petaluma), I can tell you that the seller is asking for a bit too much as you would need to spend $1-2k to have the timing belt done, manifolds fixed and tthings like waterpump, shocks, etc. If you are interested in the Pathfinders, there are far better buys available locally. $4000-4500 would get you a clean, well maintained one with probably not more than 150k on it without looking too hard. As you said, no harm in finding out more info on that one though. Good job doing your homework like this... :aok:

B

Well since I pretty much agree with what has already been said, about all I can do is Say "Welcome to the forums and good luck in your continuing search to find a better deal: :aok:

Edited by RedPath88

So -- is it safe to conclude that nobody knows an actual mechanic they'd consider competent to work on these older Nissan Pathfinders, anywhere around the Bay Area?

Because if you do -- please speak up or email me if you don't want to say a name in public.

While I can keep shopping -- I won't buy something I can't get checked and fixed.

The neighbors' has the one advantage that it probably never went off road -- they used the 4wd driving in snow on ski trips. I trust them on that. They're still collecting repair info, got a stack from one shop and the other place they took it is closed til next week so there may be more.

They did get their regular oil/lubrication -- but for that timing belt and exhaust manifold leak. It's had recent front brakes, brake sensor, the whatchamacallit that fails in the dash for the instrumentation already failed and replaced.

Not having been off-roaded, just highway/city miles, is still a plus of sorts -- but only if I can find a mechanic who knows these things.

Given a reliable shop, I could get a solid written estimate to do the work that would bring it up to proper condition, and maybe get an as-is value estimate, as talking points.

I'll try asking Autometrics in Berkeley, they might know this one, not sure yet.

Without a mechanic -- I can't see buying a Pathfinder at all, much as I like them and what I've read here. Wish I could but I can't.

Still looking, both for others and at this neighbor's.

I haven't crawled under it yet to see if it has the upgraded transmission case -- that would be a big plus, it's possible the guy who bought it new and put 100,000 freeway miles on it got it done (a realtor, they say). Still something to hope for (grin) til I look. I doubt it though.

That's where I got into trouble with the old Subaru -- discovering too late that only the off-road do-it-yourself people knew about keeping them running, any more.

I had carpal tunnel -- surgery didn't help -- so I don't do my own mechanical work now, can't be sure I'll hold onto tools.

Ok Hank, try Howards Automotive in Corte Madera. I believe he still has his shop there although I haven't seen him for years. The man is trustworthy and has plenty of return customers.

Kindt Automotive in Novato. He specializes in american cars, but worked on my old Nissan truck before. Also a completely honest man...

Mikes Imports and Engines in Santa Rosa. I just started dealing with him recently, but he seems pretty straight up to me. He specializes in Honda/acuras but used to own a 94 Pathfinder himself.

Those are the only 3 mechanics I would recommend. I have a while list of ones I'd warn you from, LOL. Good Luck.

B

Ok, so far

-- I've emailed both people with Pathfinders for sale suggested earlier, no reply from either one. Still hoping to hear from our new Coast Guard service member, maybe he's en route to training. Or do you all know if he's sold his Pathfinder already?

-- I've got some service info, more to come in a week, on the one the neighbors are getting ready to sell.

-- I'll crawl under it tomorrow and see if I can identify the transmission case as old or upgraded. And ask questions if it's the old one about what to do on that.

-- I've got some possible service/garage places to inquire (still nobody near the SF East Bay, though -- still hoping). I hope to get a solid estimate for needed service.

How do you all balance between

-- 220k neighbor's vehicle, good body (I'll go look under the back seat for rust) -- I know it has not been used off road. I think wear offroad is a real issue. Thoughts?

-- anything else for sale, where I don't know how it's been used? How do these things survive with offroad use, anything special wear out faster? I'd assume so.

I figure I'll try to find a solid price estimate for the needed service, which is timing belt, engine exhaust studs upgrade, overall checkup, and ask if the neighbors want to adjust their asking price.

The big plus for the neighbors' car -- ** am I wrong? please tell me if so ** -- seems to be that it's not been used offroad. I know that, I see it every day, never seen it covered with mud.

That means, I guess, that it may not have eaten up its transmission by being used on steeper slopes than normal paved roads -- and maybe less wear and tear overall.

But ... yes, I'm still looking hard and long for other possible vehicles.

And my beloved spouse is saying, well, maybe we _can_ fit all our gear in the old Subaru after all (grin).

We'll take our time. I much appreciate the ongoing education.

hey there hank! well, i leave on the 13th of february, so im not gone yet. sent you an email and well i would like to see precise1 (bernard) pick it up because his 95 is failing him with a screwy front end, but if he decides it's not what he's looking for, you are welcome to come and check it out. i'll let you know in the next couple of days!

oh ya, and welcome aboard mate! yaharrrr lol :unsure:

Ben

I figure I'll try to find a solid price estimate for the needed service, which is timing belt, engine exhaust studs upgrade, overall checkup, and ask if the neighbors want to adjust their asking price.

I was going to recommend this approach. With that many miles on your neighbors', I don't think the tranny could still be a problem :shrug: I hear what you're saying though with knowing more history on his Pathy than any others out there that are for sale. Good luck with your decision and welcome to the forum, keep the questions coming WAVEY

Thanks Ben, and Deej, and everyone else. Glad I'm not in a hurry, this is all hopeful, one way or the other.

I have been poking at the nissanusa.com webpage, where they have a link that promises a dealer service discount coupon -- but all I get is error messages from the link. (That'd be possibly for the timing belt and exhaust manifold studs on the neighbor's car -- I find myself wondering how he even has been able to get it smogged with exhaust leaks on both sides! Maybe it improves the test results , heh.

I'm for sure going to convince the neighbor not to put miles on his Pathfinder and risk breaking his timing belt in the next week or so, now that I've convinced him he's needed one for the past (gulp) 120k miles at least, the past 7 or 8 years. Lucky folks! I'll be hoping it doesn't break while I'm trying to get estimates for the work it needs. The second shop he's had service from is on vacation til early February, so that's when I'll find out if they have records of (gulp) oil changes in the last few years happening.

---> OK, a couple of real questions that are new, based on the service records I've seen:

They had the mechanic look for

-- a noise under the hood like a rattle (nothing found)

-- a noise fron the front end going over bumps (nothing found)

-- a coolant leak (didn't find one, didn't get it to overheat at the shop)

Those may just have been nervous-owner checkups -- they had the mechanic replace front and rear light bulbs, too, over the years. Do any of those remind anybody of anything that an ordinary mechanic wouldn't be able to find, that happen with these Pathfinders?

It has had front brakes done, twice, in the records they've found so far.

This weekend I'll go look for rust under the back seat, and check that transmission case for old or new plug type, and -- just learned this somewhere -- look for a little metal tag on the firewall on the driver side where, supposedly, the mileage at timing belt change is supposed to be noted. Anyone heard of that?

Offroad use shouldn't be an issue unless it was abused. Sounds decent enough to me.

The detractors are: cost of engine timing belt/etc maintenance required immediately after purchase and the possibility of transmission failure from underlubrication for 220,000 miles, as I see it.

1. Possible heat shield rattle

2. Turn stop caps missing, dry(ungreased) tie rods/BJ's, damaged bushings, steering linkage parts, etc

3. Watch for leakage at idle in your driveway, etc. If you see coolant, try and ID where it's coming from.

4. Nissan dealership mechanics may have some sort of ID tag they use to stamp/write maintenance dates on, but AFAIK it wasn't a factory item.

Timing belt/water pump changes generally run about $900 or more depending on the mechanic or area you live in. That's why it's such a great deal if you're able to do your own work and save the hourly mechanic's rates. Perhaps someone else local could help you that's got experience and willing hands? If I were close enough, I'd do it just because I can...I did Somethingcool's t-belt/water pump/etc for free when his 91 needed it. :)

ok. I will repeat myself I guess.....

I am less than an hour from you, and I go to castro valley & alameda all the time to see friends (i used to live there).. so if you want me to check out the pathy, i will. i work on my own pathy so can not recommend any mechanics other than myself to you..lol... but i am more than willing to look at it for you.

BTW: does the pathy have an auto or manual tranny?? v. important factor... ;)

as for the following:

They had the mechanic look for

-- a noise under the hood like a rattle (nothing found)- probably the manifold studs that broke or as 88 said manifold covers. does the sound go away after it warms up and has been driven?

-- a noise fron the front end going over bumps (nothing found)- betcha it's a bad bushing.. with close investigation it can be found

-- a coolant leak (didn't find one, didn't get it to overheat at the shop)- does it "piddle" on the ground? or is the coolant low and you are not seeing any visible liquid on the ground? sssh

as for the sutds being broken and the pathy passing smog.... they do... 99.9% of the time.....

let me know! :beer:

Edited by Slick

hey hank...welcome!

surprisingly a lot of northern californians here such as rikk, p1, sc88, slick, myself (daly city), etc. you've already got tons of great advice from everyone already. and i agree, that was WAY too expensive...definitely continue shopping, and i think that you'll be happy with any year/trim pathy that you end up with, as long as you pick wisely. i live in san francisco's neighboring city, daly city...and there are TONS of mechanics/shops that deal with japanese/imports, and even those that specialize in nissans. i recently bought my pathy and found a shop that was able to change my timing belt, water pump, seals, and all drive belts for under $600 (in the sunset district of SF). i can see that sc88 has already recommended www.craigslist.org, that's where i bought my baby...no regrets whatsoever =) good luck in your search =D

and since you were originally going to spend around 3k...take a look at this one, i'm sure you can talk them down a bit =P

CLICK HERE

172k miles, but many here can testify that if you care for these babies, that pathy has many more miles left with that engine.

Edited by QuismO