Finally took my pathy offroad

MrGame

Well I haven't posted in a while because I just got my license and I've been all over the place (as i'm sure most of you were when you got yours). I finally took my pathfinder (R50) into the pit in sayreville, nj today with my friend and his wrangler, and it was a BLAST! i had to buff out a couple of scratches that i was flippin out about when i was in the trail, but other than that it was awesome. I climbed a 50 degree hill in 4LO, drove over a foot high rock, and drove through a puddle that was probably a couple of feet deep. I have a whole new love and respect for my turck and dont' take anyone who says pathfinders cant' handle the trail seriously

worth.gif

sounds like you had fun... if you plan on wheeling your truck more - you'll probably have to get used to the scratches... kind of a fact of life when you go offroad. B)

...I just got my license...I climbed a 50 degree hill in 4LO...

Hello, welcome [back] to the forum, and welcome to being a licensed driver! Be careful out there. Driving your vehicle off-road is a lot safer than driving on the highway!

And, for the record, you probably did not climb a 50-degree incline, unless it was shorter than the length of your truck. Many slopes, even up to only 25 degrees, feel much steeper than they really are, even more so when you're new to off-roading.

Take this trail report about the very-difficult Dusy-Ershim 4WD trail in California, for example:

What faces you is the infamous Chicken Rock. This rock is huge and many people, especially those with under powered vehicles have failed to make the climb. If your rig has enough muscle, it's not a problem. The rock slope is at a 50 degree angle. As you get closer to the top, panoramic views of Courtright Lake and surrounding peaks unfold around you on your left. On your right is the huge dome, called Maxson Dome.

And here is what angle it really is: only 25 degrees!! Click to see proof. Here's a photo from the side.

This hill on Moab's slickrock was less than 45°, and it was a beotch to climb, even with a locker!

Needless to say, whenever all you can see is the sky, it always feels STEEP! :eek:

Edited by XPLORx4

ive been done like an 80 degree 'cliff', heres proof...

292527692_l.jpg

See what I mean about exaggeration? ;):laugh:

The angle of the truck is more like 45, possibly 50. True the actual cliff is steeper, but it is short. Good thing, too, because at 80 degrees, you'd probably roll end over end and land flat on the roof.

Edited by XPLORx4

Mr Game - the clearcoat is pretty good on Nissans. A detail shop will be able to buff out most of the scratches, assuming they are from light branches and didn't actually go thru clearcoat and paint and primer to steel. For a few years, when it was newer, I had my pathy detailed every fall to help protect it during winter, and they buffed out all but the deepest scratches.

But, the last couple of years added scratches, dents, scrapes... it is officially a well used trail rig now, and no longer worthy of a detail shop.... it has character!

As for the slope discussion - as Dean well knows, most are gross exagerations. Most 4wd vehicles cannot climb a slope greater than 45 degrees, even if traction is not an issue. The standard for 4wds is the Humvee - the military model, not the bling-bling glorified Yukon.

see http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m998.htm:

they state:

The vehicles can climb 60% slopes and traverse a side slope of up to 40% fully loaded.

To navigate 80 degree slopes you need to move up to one of these:

http://www.army-technology.com/projects/al_fahd/

and i suppose above 80 degrees we are discussing airplanes and rockets, not trucks. See the guy giving the finger in FLApathy's shot? That finger is at about 80 degrees!

m.

Oh sure you do! You just dont wanna do Potato Salad Hilll.... :lol:

I guess, but it's all that crunching that makes me wince! I love my Pathy in one piece...(I have to drive it to work everyday)

I guess since Dean doesn't have any wild crazy or exotic upgrades (Just smart, well thought out ones) I could probably do similar mods and do some more serious wheeling....

I'm goin to the desert this Saturday, maybe i'll be alittle more daring.

BTW Dean...I love your Pathy's color!

See what I mean about exaggeration? ;):laugh:

The angle of the truck is more like 45, possibly 50. True the actual cliff is steeper

yeah thats what i meant, the cliff, and that thing was steep to, looking at the pic i noticed how it doenst do it justice, i would go out and snap a pic, but its almost flat now, some dirtbikers thought it would be cool to jump it and then it just went downhill from there (lol), i was just pointing out what u said earlier...

true it probably did seem steeper than it actually was, i'm not going to take my pathy offroad again. It's too nice haha, but i'm going to save up and buy like a beat up 92 and take that offroad...i'd like to find 1 with the 5 spd stick

*drool*

I wish my pathy could come play with your pathy.

me too! and i'm in cali..... where'd you find all those nissans to play with?

-bounce- isn't wheeling FUN FUN FUN mrgame! :D you will get over the scratch thing real quick..ya know.. fighting the losing battle thing..... ;)