Transmission Trouble

blu311

Been driving my 95' Pathfinder (automatic tranny) for 8 years and this I think i've finally had my first problem with it. The other day I put it in reverse and it hesitated for a second before moving, Next time I tried it... nothing. My Reverse gear doesn't work anymore. Drive works fine, no problems. So I put it on blocks and checked the linkage to make sure it was engaging. It does, and the tires spin ever so slowly but without any power.

Is this the untimely end of my transmission??

I called a transmission shop, desribed my problem, and they immediatly offered to rebuild it. (But you can never trust a transmission shop, right?)

Any tips or knowhow is appreciated

dont take it to a rebuild place. WAYYYY TO EXPENSIVE!!! at least for me. i got a used automatic transmission for my 96 pathy for 450. it had 92 k miles and i just finished the project less then a week ago. if your mechanically inclined id go with this. the transmissions are pretty much the same so i can tell you all the tips and tricks and things NOT TO FORGET. i would look around for a used transmission. mine works better then it ever was! and i reused my old transfer case. and if any one needs a transfer case that fits the automatics i still have the newer one that came with the transmission.

-Alex

Yes, your tranny is probably hosed. Yes, you could save much $ by finding a used one and installing it, adding an aftermarket tranny cooler (bypassing the stock one) and having it flushed. Try to find one with a warranty, etc.

B

I was afraid you guys would tell me that.

Before this happend I was considering buying a new car and making the pathy a project/trail rig. This makes the desicion a little harder, but maybe I'll just add "new Tranny" to my to-do list. I dunno. If I do- I might take you up on those pointers for swapping in a new one.

Otherwise -

'95 pathfinder FOR SALE

- runs good*

- looks great

only $4,000

* :forward only

I was afraid you guys would tell me that.

Before this happend I was considering buying a new car and making the pathy a project/trail rig. This makes the desicion a little harder, but maybe I'll just add "new Tranny" to my to-do list. I dunno. If I do- I might take you up on those pointers for swapping in a new one.

Otherwise -

'95 pathfinder FOR SALE

- runs good*

- looks great

only $4,000

* :forward only

Snicker see those on Craigs list all the time "Pathfinder, runs great, no reverse!" The prices they want for some of them is outrageous too!

I have a sick feeling that this is gonna happen to my 88 soon... :hide:

I have a sick feeling that this is gonna happen to my 88 soon... :hide:

You too? With 277,000 miles on mine I'm sure SOMETHING will give up the ghost soon.

Which other than the $$ it'll be ok -- I've got the VW to drive, and I wouldn't mind learning how to install a new engine/tranny. (If you know the right people anything is possible with pizza and beer)

Harb and SC88...

Do you guys not have external tranny coolers? If you do....stop reading..... If not, do it now!!! P...P...

It's cheap insurance, and the fluid overheating due to the clogged stock cooler seems to be the only thing that kills the autos........

Why would you wait until disaster strikes? -alcohol- :shrug:

i say just look for a new transmission and swap it yourself. it took me at max 3 weeks. but i was only working on it for like 2 hours a day. and i was asking a lot of questions. so if you have a mechanical ability to do a swap id go with swapping it. it couldnt cost more then 800 bucks. it costed me about 480 total. for fluid and the transmission.

-alex

Harb and SC88...

Do you guys not have external tranny coolers? If you do....stop reading..... If not, do it now!!! P...P...

It's cheap insurance, and the fluid overheating due to the clogged stock cooler seems to be the only thing that kills the autos........

Why would you wait until disaster strikes? -alcohol- :shrug:

I've got one -- installed by the previous owner -- I'm more worried about the sheer amount of miles on it than anything!

my pathy has 206 on the ticker and i just put a tranny cooler external on her but 1st gear pulls fine just never shifts when floored near redline in 1st and in second especially it slips like a manual transmission with a bad clutch would. It seems most people that have transmissions that have gone bad or are going lose reverse first. Could this be some kind of computer for the transmission? The truck sat for 2-3 months before i bought it. Any help would be appreciated. I know for a fact that this truck was babied for the last 100k miles at least and had reg oil changes. Thanks in advance.

Scott

Could be the tranny is in power mode.........

There's a switch on the dash....make sure it's in the middle.....it should shift normally in that mode.

its weird if i floor the pathy sometimes the power light goes on but most of the time its not on unless switched on is that normal? i remember my old toyota the power button was either on or off. do the pathfinders have a sensor that if you need "power" it automatically kicks it in? If my truck isn't working properly what sensor would be bad the auto ecu or ???? Im getting slipping in the trans like a manual with a worn clutch disc: just not in first but on the highway say at 70 and you give it a little gas and tach jumps up but truck isn't going. 2nd up a hill it will slip too. I'd love to hear the trans was fine just something electrical but with 206k..... Thanks in advance.

Scott

Im getting slipping in the trans like a manual with a worn clutch disc: just not in first but on the highway say at 70 and you give it a little gas and tach jumps up but truck isn't going. 2nd up a hill it will slip too. I'd love to hear the trans was fine just something electrical but with 206k..... Thanks in advance.

Scott

there is a thread about torque converter somewhere around here.. somewhat recent, might be worth a look but i don't think there was a conclusion to it.. similar symproms though.

ooh good to know about the power button automatically going on thats a good sign. Maybe ill reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery and letting it stay detached for a while an see if the trans shifts any different. Maybe it is shot and i need a replacement i was hoping i woudn't have to. I just bough the truck cheap but put total 1700 into it including th cost of the truck timing belt brakes etc etc. I guess a good orig used one would be 500ish on ebay or junkyards. I'd hate to install a "new" tranny only to find itdoesn't shift right due to some electrical thing. ill have to figure otu how to do a tranny test.

Scott

Just another piece of advice if you don't feel like spending the money. We've got 2 Pathfinders with revers problems as you describe. Sometimes we have reverse, sometimes we don't. Normally, as long as you don't put yourself into a situation where you ABSOLUTELY need reverse (in the path of a semi, train, or stuck in a lot of snow or mud) if you try enough (going from R to D to R to D) it'll go in eventually. After the first Pathfinder lost reverse (125,000) we've put another 75,000 on it and the reverse problem hasn't gotten any worse. The second has an additional 30,000 on it and the reverse problem hasn't gotten worse either. So, there is the option of doing nothing and getting used to where to park and what kind of situations NOT to get yourself in to.

Well, I found a used tranny for $500 so I'm gonna go pick it up today. Maybe this weekend I'll get started with the swap. I'll probably be posting alot with questions. Any links to sites or threads that could help me out would be appreciated.

I'll be sure to install an externall cooler too.

• 4 weeks later...

Unless you are hearing grinding of the gears. The tranny's are NOT bad. Just the pressure solenoids getting old and stuck. this is a common problem with almost every pathfinder to 96 with autos. There is no point in spending two to ten times as much for a used trans that is eventually going to have the same problem. Replace the shifting solenoids and you will do a trans flush at the same time. Anyone who can read instructions and has a bit of technical skill can do this in your driveway. Trust me, dropping the tranny pan and working is NOT as intimidating as most of us make it. Ofcourse now you are at the perfect place for a trans cooler too!!! hth

pressure solonoid? would this be the same for the prob i described the tranny slipping (tach rising like a slipping clutch) and when floored say in first or kickdown to third and it pulls to redline but stays there. I'd love to think its a comptuer function. truck doesn't slip when power button is switched on. or very little it appears as when the throttle is depressed truck downshifts and pulls well. seems that 1st and 3rd in the auto are fine but 2nd and OD aka 4th seem to slip any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott

ps here's my email if there are lengthy explanations or anything speedbuggy67@netzero.net thanks again.

Just got out from under my Pathy (93 auto). 2 useless used trannys from the wrecker ($800 bucks down the drain) - bad tq converter on one, toasted high clutch on the other (same problem as the original). Knuckled down and ordered a rebuild kit and new tq converter, $350 and $150 (Cdn) respectively. 4 days to rebuild working slowly (ie very carefully). Tranny cooler installed. Gettin real good at removal and installation! Runs like a top now. Moral of the story: Think real hard about forking over that hard earned cash for complex items like electronic automatic overdrive trannys. Most wreckers are pretty reasonable about replacing defective parts, but patience starts to wear thin after the first one... I had planned on snapping some pics of the process (removal, rebuild, and installation) but the whole experience became so harrowing that plan went be the wayside. Happy to answer questions though.