problems with front shocks

joeytattoo

Poormans Breaker Bar.... pipe that fits over the end of the ratchet or a larger boxed end that will fit over the ratchet can be useful as well, I use the stock spark plug tool,.... you having a 88 I would assume it not there :wacko:

Soak em with PB or something similar... Heat can also be very helpful... just make sure you dont accidentally heat something that does not like the Heat :hide:

Heat, and ringing the nut.. Heat the nut, not just everything. Also, strike it squarely (with a BFH a few times)so as not to damage the threads or hex. The impacts can often break free corrosion... If it's still stuck, cut them off or use a nut splitter, DO NOT bust a knuckle, it's not worth it !! ;) Good luck

B

Not what you want to hear, but PB Blast (or another) breaker bar, heat and a BFH.. pretty much what has already been said.

You can usually get most loose, but if you can't then refer back to the second half of B's post. :aok:

I throw up the 42nd use of PB Blaster and a breaker bar or ratchet and cheater (pipe over the handle). A breaker can be bought stupidly cheap at Harbor Freight if you have one nearby. I got a 24" one for like $7. Be advised, if you go the route of a cheater bar, use an old ratchet you don't care about. I've broken 2 cheap ones this way, which is why you can now refer to option #1 of buying a breaker bar. ;) But bottom line is: penetrating lube + heat if you have it or a hammer + and leverage.

Be advised, if you go the route of a cheater bar, use an old ratchet you don't care about. I've broken 2 cheap ones this way,

That's why I buy Craftsman... I break it (do to normal wear, misuse or anything else, including rust) and they replace it for free :aok:

Just make sure when you use any of the suggestions above, KEEP YOUR KNUCKLES AND HEAD AND BODY SAFE! It's not worth getting hurt over.

Ahh come on deej, you know that a little pain just makes you push, pull or hit harder :D

But honestly, he's right... it's not worth broken body parts... your trucks or yours ;)

Safety glasses...

I'm a DFM (Dumb Machinist) and I put on the safety glasses all the time. You can take my lefy hand at the wrist, just leave my the left eye... Not really, I'll fight for both, but you know what I mean... ;)

B

Ditto the eye protection and gloves. I tough guy-ed it for too long with the eyes before getting wiser. I'm partial to Mechanix gloves. They're thin so you have feeling, flexibility, and can handle tiny stuff, but are tough. I slipped and hit my left index finger with a cut off wheel on a 4" angle grinder about a month ago. Without the gloves, I'd have a severe cut or lost a finger. With the gloves, it didn't even get through, just a slice/gouge. As for Craftsman, yes, you can't go wrong with good tools, or even mid-grade stuff for the average guy. The ones I've broken have been the $10 college years specials I still had kicking around. Ok, enough mini-whoring from me. The point being, take your time, use your brain before brawn, and be careful.

If all that still doesn't get it, find a buddy with a serious pnuematic impact wrench...

I have a hefty duty 1/2" drive rated at something like 400 lb ft of removal torque. It cranks as hard as I can with a cheater bar WITHOUT the drama and bloody results. Just slip it on and ratta-tatta-tatta SNAP. Sheared a rear axle u-bolt on a truck with that bad boy... And you can get guns rated at over 1000 lb ft!

Be sure to use proper impact sockets - and 6 point only, please!