Which Suspension lift package?

OR99.5Speed

Which Suspension Package should I go with?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Which Suspension Package should I go with?

• AC 2" lift, GR-2 front struts and Bilstein Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts
    • AC 2" lift, GR-2 front struts and Rancho RS9000X Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts
    • AC 2" lift, GR-2 front struts and Rancho RS5000 Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts
    • AC 2" lift, Rancho front struts and Rancho RS5000 Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts.
    • AC 2" lift, Rancho front struts and Rancho RS9000x Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts.
    • OME HD ($$$): OME HD Springs, OME Shocks, OME Struts, Nissan strut mounts

hmm not sure about the noise and at least it rides more like a truck than a big ol cadi

think i found what the noise is...thought i didnt thighten one of the ball joints enuf...so i jack it up...when we wiggle the tire, there is play around the nut on the lower control arm...book says the hole for the ball joint stud must be worn..CRAP...off to get nother steering knuckle!!

Tye...it looks AWESOME tho!!

oh yeah...new tires lifted a solid inch more for a total of 3.5 in the back and actually bout .25 in more in the front

Edited by ty01pathfinder

• 3 weeks later...

think i found what the noise is...thought i didnt thighten one of the ball joints enuf...so i jack it up...when we wiggle the tire, there is play around the nut on the lower control arm...book says the hole for the ball joint stud must be worn..CRAP...off to get nother steering knuckle!!

Tye...it looks AWESOME tho!!

oh yeah...new tires lifted a solid inch more for a total of 3.5 in the back and actually bout .25 in more in the front

How'd it work out? What size tires did you go with, and did you switch to manual hubs?

How'd it work out? What size tires did you go with, and did you switch to manual hubs?

actually better than i thought...turns out that when i prepared to switch hubs, realized the ball joint nut wasnt tight enuff..(new ones have nylon nut instead of cotter pin)...i had to clamp the ball joint tight to the control arm and then was able to tighten the stud nut properly, saved me switching the whole spindle...took the spare back for a refund. Didnt replace the hubs yet...going to tho...FOR SURE!

Tires are 31x 10.5 roughrider M+S on 15" steelies. There is definately room for 33" tires there tho!!!

Tye

Oh Y...most importantly...i wish i saw the thread first but..............FIFTEEN INCH RIMS ARE TOO TIGHT TO THE CALIPER.........I wish i had read that thread B4. The grinder came out NUMEROUS times to stop my calipers from rubbing and my brakes are quite worn!!!!!

Tye

• 3 months later...

Ok so I'm having a hard time finding a suspension lift for my 04 Pathy. Everywhere I check they say they got em for the earlier year R50's but not mine. Is there something different with my model year? Also I saw on Rocky-Roads website that they had a OME 1.75" lift for my 2004 but everywhere else I check locally they said they don't have one listed for 1.75" only like .5". There are some discrepencies lol. Anyone else with an 04 on here can help or something. This is making me bash my head against the wall lol.

Also I'm still a newbie....so what is an "AC 2" " lift? Is that another company and is that a lot easier to find than OME? I'm having a helluva time finding OME and at a reasonable price but I've heard such good things on them.

Also I'm still a newbie....so what is an "AC 2" " lift? Is that another company and is that a lot easier to find than OME? I'm having a helluva time finding OME and at a reasonable price but I've heard such good things on them.

My gift to you: https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/pathfinder-19962004-pathfinder-c-435_437_341_8.html

Also I saw on Rocky-Roads website that they had a OME 1.75" lift for my 2004 but everywhere else I check locally they said they don't have one listed for 1.75" only like .5". There are some discrepencies lol.

I **think** the Rocky-Road package includes spacers or something, which make up the difference... I found that confusing too.

I **think** the Rocky-Road package includes spacers or something, which make up the difference... I found that confusing too.

nope...its actually referred to as a .5" lift because each grade of spring...LD, MD, HD, give .5" of lift respectively with xx # of lbs over stock weight respectively. It is confusing, it does lift 1.75-2" and some of the part # are mixed up too.

Tye

nope...its actually referred to as a .5" lift because each grade of spring...LD, MD, HD, give .5" of lift respectively with xx # of lbs over stock weight respectively. It is confusing, it does lift 1.75-2" and some of the part # are mixed up too.

Tye

That's as clear as mud. :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

Wow guys, thank you so much for so much information!! I just bought my '97 pathy and love it! I threw on an old tube bumper I found at a local junk yard, Ive already got 31s on there, and the next step for me is to get a lift. I was looking at the lift kit : https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/pathfinder-suspension-lift-p-1550.html

Do I need to get new struts and shocks too? Im on a college student budget, but seeing as how the stock suspension is sagging anyway, when I replace it Id love to go higher~ Do I have to get the strut spacers? Right now the front suspension is in worse condition than the rear, so I think I'd be fine leaving my rear shocks in, but if I need longer shocks, that'd be nice to know. Thanks again! You guys really know your stuff!

you don't need strut spacers. new shocks and struts are highly recommended especially with the larger springs if you are lifting it. get them from another place other than 4x4parts. they are a lot cheaper elsewhere so its good especially if you are on a budget.

Thanks, that helps. Would anything bad happen if I didnt replace the stock struts or shocks? Im a pretty tight budget as a college student, so eventually I would get new ones, but will holding off on them cause any problems?

It won't cause any problems, but again it's highly recommended. Your putting brand new coil springs on suspension that is 10+ years old. It will work, but it's not good for the truck. I too was a student on a budget, and it took me over a year to finally get enough money. Will save you a lot of hassle if you do it all at the same time. I mean the struts and shocks have to come off to put the new springs in. Why not just replace them?

FYI I got my struts from amazon for around $130 for the both of them. And you can get cheap shocks that could be as cheap as $30 a shock.

Edited by exit34rocker1017

Thats good to know, thank you. Would the shocks and struts have to be a different size than the stock ones? or the same?  Also, do I need longer brake lines?<br>

Edited by Iceman2989

I know that when i was searching for my stuff, you could get KYB GR2 struts and shocks for under $200.00 on EBAY (brand new) Now i dont know much about their shocks but the struts are OEM replacements. You just need to get your coils then. And if you arent going to disconnect your rear antisway bar or get a SFD to lift your rig 6" then you dont need longer shocks or brakelines. And there is only ONE size of strut you can get for the Pathy.

To put that price in perspective...The Gr2 struts here in Canada range from 140-200$ EACH....thats a BIG difference in price...maybe a good solution for a college budget!!!

Tye

P.S. The prob with replacing just the coils and not the struts is...you have to remove them and take them apart ( a risky job) just to replace the coils...sooooooo its worth it to just do it all at once. The rear is simple...its the struts that are the PITA!

Besides...new stronger coils and 10 yr old shocks not a great idea imho....if they arent already shot they will be soon after!!!!

I vote OME for two reasons. They are reputed to be a good setup. and AC is one of the crappiest businesses I've ever dealt with for anything...automotive or otherwise.... over the past 5 decades of life. Their service blows...they provide false information about products...they charge your credit card and then ship your order many weeks later..and have a total crap attitude toward customers. We need more vendors out there for our Pathys.

• 1 month later...

Just wondering for those with the OME HD coils up front if you have noticed any front end or tire wear issues. i remember reading earlier that this might be an issue if you dont have the sufficient weight up front. Also does anyone find the ride too harsh? I think i would prefer the MD set up all around but I want the pathy to sit level and I am afraid i won't like the way it sits with just the MD coils all around. If you have any opinions I'd like to hear them.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Rocky Road told me 5-6 weeks for delivery, so looking at 4x4parts.... $350 for the springs and $77 for shipping. Isn't that a bit high for S&H???

don't cry.. I bought my springs at 4x4parts also, and after everything from currency conversion and broker's fee and shipping, my springs cost me 640$ CAD.... so you have it good.,.. :lol:

don't cry.. I bought my springs at 4x4parts also, and after everything from currency conversion and broker's fee and shipping, my springs cost me 640$ CAD.... so you have it good.,.. :lol:

Ouch. Might have been cheaper to pay someone in New York to order and make a trip across the border. ;)