Which Suspension lift package?

OR99.5Speed

Which Suspension Package should I go with?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Which Suspension Package should I go with?

• AC 2" lift, GR-2 front struts and Bilstein Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts
    • AC 2" lift, GR-2 front struts and Rancho RS9000X Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts
    • AC 2" lift, GR-2 front struts and Rancho RS5000 Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts
    • AC 2" lift, Rancho front struts and Rancho RS5000 Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts.
    • AC 2" lift, Rancho front struts and Rancho RS9000x Shocks for the rear, Nissan strut mounts.
    • OME HD ($$$): OME HD Springs, OME Shocks, OME Struts, Nissan strut mounts

4. OME Strut bearings and Nissan strut mounts - are these necessary and where to get them?

Not necessary for the lift but highly advised (yes get them!) & get OEM (stock Nissan) strut mount tower (you can get these from a Nissan Dealership or most any parts store can order them for you, just make sure you get OEM)

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone tell me where I can find a prado lift for my '01 Pathy? The site pradolifts.com is suspended.

Tyler (tmorgan) on this forum used to be one of the sources for these subframe drop kits. You won't have much luck unless you PM him directly.

One thing I do know: getting a subframe drop kit made won't be an easy task. :shrug:

Not necessary for the lift but highly advised (yes get them!) & get OEM (stock Nissan) strut mount tower (you can get these from a Nissan Dealership or most any parts store can order them for you, just make sure you get OEM)

Do you happen to know if the strut bearings from AC to fit a 96 are OEM since everyone seems to want to stay away from anything else? I'm the guy who had the Electronic Suspension...are my stock strut mounts/bearings the same (if still in good shape) when I replace them with the GR-2's

Edited by OfftourRoadie96

Just one final check before placing my order for complete suspension kit on a 2001 SE Pathfinder.

These are all the parts I need to get before taking them to the mechanic.

I live in Victoria, BC, Canada.

1. Struts - KYB GR-2 part no. 335031/335030 ordered from http://www.autopartsway.ca/

2. Shocks - Rancho 9000XL part no. RS999010X ordered from http://powerandplay.com/

3. Coils - OME heavy duty front, OME medium duty rears. Ordered from: http://www.rocky-road.com/ They are 8 weeks back ordered. Anywhere in Canada sell these?

4. OME Strut bearings and Nissan strut mounts - are these necessary and where to get them?

Almost there, thanks again

Raz

Just an update on this post. After speaking with the guys at ARBusa, the distributors of OME parts, they recommended I NOT get the HD coil springs for this pathfinder unless I am going to put a substantial amount of weight on the front, like a heavy bumper or winch. They said that the HD coils will raise the vehicle too much and cause significant problems with alignment and wear on the tires. Can anyone confirm this?

Thx,

Raz

I had the HD coils installed on the front of my '02, with no winch and no bumper. It aligned easily and did not require camber bolts. Only time will tell if I have long-term problems, but so far, so good.

I got about 2" of lift at first, now more like 1.5".

Just an update on this post. After speaking with the guys at ARBusa, the distributors of OME parts, they recommended I NOT get the HD coil springs for this pathfinder unless I am going to put a substantial amount of weight on the front, like a heavy bumper or winch. They said that the HD coils will raise the vehicle too much and cause significant problems with alignment and wear on the tires. Can anyone confirm this?

Thx,

Raz

Do you happen to know if the strut bearings from AC to fit a 96 are OEM since everyone seems to want to stay away from anything else?

You mean the strut otwer mount? If so then I don't know if AC's is OEM, sorry

• 1 month later...

I've read over this whole thread, skimming through some. But I read it for the most part. I read a lot of you guys choosing Rancho 9000 struts(or shocks, noob question can somebody tell me the diff.?) anyways, on 4x4parts I read a lot of people recommending Bilstein for the better ride, and better quality. For those that have tried Bilsteins, how do you like them?

I've read over this whole thread, skimming through some. But I read it for the most part. I read a lot of you guys choosing Rancho 9000 struts(or shocks, noob question can somebody tell me the diff.?) anyways, on 4x4parts I read a lot of people recommending Bilstein for the better ride, and better quality. For those that have tried Bilsteins, how do you like them?

The 5100's are awesome. I can't recommend a better shock at that price. For the future, I plan on running 7100's with the reservoir in the rear. :aok:

Go Bilstein! :D

hey guys, im new to all this and have been reading these forums and such for months in regards to lifting my pathy. i have a 1999.5 4x4, and i was just curious if i have all the necessary items to lift.

im going with the AC lift, with gr-2 front struts, rancho RS5000 shocks, and the strut tower mounts. im trying to get away without spending a lot of money.

im also going to get the camber alignment bolts.

it says on 4x4parts that i have to purchase aftermarket wheels with 3.75 backspacing, however ive seen R50s lifted with the stock wheels. if this is true i will purchase 15x8 rock crawlers, and 32x11.5 BFG AT's.

is this all i need?

-coils, gr2 struts, rancho rs5000 shocks, strut tower mounts, camber alignment bolts.

- 15x8 rock crawlers, and 32x11.5 BFG AT's

and more importantly, will the tires and all fit and will i be ready to roll?

help would be greatly appreciated . im only 17 and do not know much about all this! thanks! :blush:

-rob

hey guys, im new to all this and have been reading these forums and such for months in regards to lifting my pathy. i have a 1999.5 4x4, and i was just curious if i have all the necessary items to lift.

im going with the AC lift, with gr-2 front struts, rancho RS5000 shocks, and the strut tower mounts. im trying to get away without spending a lot of money.

im also going to get the camber alignment bolts.

it says on 4x4parts that i have to purchase aftermarket wheels with 3.75 backspacing, however ive seen R50s lifted with the stock wheels. if this is true i will purchase 15x8 rock crawlers, and 32x11.5 BFG AT's.

is this all i need?

-coils, gr2 struts, rancho rs5000 shocks, strut tower mounts, camber alignment bolts.

- 15x8 rock crawlers, and 32x11.5 BFG AT's

and more importantly, will the tires and all fit and will i be ready to roll?

help would be greatly appreciated . im only 17 and do not know much about all this! thanks! :blush:

-rob

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, it's recommended to get a set of Warn hubs, it saves wear on CV Boots and helps with gas mileage

how do the manual hubs work? i really dont wanna have to get in and out of my car to lock or unlock.

Then have fun replacing the CV's :) The real task that the hubs accomlish is less stress on the CV's because of the angle of the cv shaft after lift. If you get them yes you will have to get in and out to lock and unlock the hubs, but for most the gains of using hubs offset the negative things. They also make the pathy turn and glide alot more, and you gain like 1mpg more :D

how do the manual hubs work? i really dont wanna have to get in and out of my car to lock or unlock.

For 20-30 seconds of turning two dials, it's worth it. :aok:

Otherwise, have fun replacing your CV axles every few months. :shrug:

Hey Guys,

I want to do 2" AC Lift on my 2000 pathfinder se and I've got a few questions:

1. AC recommends wheels with 3.75" backspacing. In comparison with the 16x7" OEM wheels, will my tires stick more towards the outside or inside of the car? I don't know the backspacing of the OEM wheels.

2. Regardless of the recommendation, can I still use the 16x7" OEM wheels with the lift? Will I have any rubbing issues? I'm currently running BFG MT/TA/KM2 255/70R16 which equals to ~30" and plan on doing so until the end of next year. I will get a new set of wheels when I change to 32" tires.

3. I also plan to run Rancho struts and Rancho 9000xL shocks. What's your input on these items? Also, I checked on Rancho website and they have Rancho 9000xl with a secondary reservoir. Do you think this is an option for me? Have any of you run a 2" lift with shocks that have secondary reservoir?

4. AC listed different codes for rancho 9000xL: SPRSX900096PFLIFTRR (with suspension lift), SPRSX900096PFNLRR (with no suspension lift), SPRSX900096PFLOWRR (with lowering coil). Are they essentially one and the same shock, which is RSX900096?

Thank you so much for your input, it is much appreciated.

Andrew

Edited by dududuckling

I'll try to answer these as best I can. Here goes:

1. The less backspacing, the more the wheels will stick out; the more backspacing, the less the wheels will stick out.

2. You can use the OEM 16x7 only if the BS is adequate enough to allow for fitment of 32" tires while clearing the struts. I'd say you're better off going with some cheap steel wheels with 3.75-4.75" BS just to be sure.

3. Never run Rancho anything so I can't say. I'm running KYB GR-2 struts up front and they're great. I've heard great things about the Old Man Emu struts so I might try those in the future. I'm running Bilstein 5100's in the rear and absolutely love 'em. For a 2" lift, I doubt a secondary reservoir will be necessary but it wouldn't hurt anything. I plan on running Bilsten 7100's with the secondary reservoir but only after installation of a subframe drop kit.

4. This might be best left answered by AC. You should send an e-mail to see what Mike @ AC can tell you. That or hopefully someone can chime in on here.

Hopefully, that's helped some. :aok:

I'll try to answer these as best I can. Here goes:

1. The less backspacing, the more the wheels will stick out; the more backspacing, the less the wheels will stick out.

2. You can use the OEM 16x7 only if the BS is adequate enough to allow for fitment of 32" tires while clearing the struts. I'd say you're better off going with some cheap steel wheels with 3.75-4.75" BS just to be sure.

3. Never run Rancho anything so I can't say. I'm running KYB GR-2 struts up front and they're great. I've heard great things about the Old Man Emu struts so I might try those in the future. I'm running Bilstein 5100's in the rear and absolutely love 'em. For a 2" lift, I doubt a secondary reservoir will be necessary but it wouldn't hurt anything. I plan on running Bilsten 7100's with the secondary reservoir but only after installation of a subframe drop kit.

4. This might be best left answered by AC. You should send an e-mail to see what Mike @ AC can tell you. That or hopefully someone can chime in on here.

Hopefully, that's helped some. :aok:

Hey, thanks a lot tekazgtr1984. I'm gonna mail Mike later on during the day. Did you change your wheels as soon as you installed the lift?

@Alex: I thought you wanna try to squeeze a 34" on a no-lift pathfinder... or am I mistaken?

Hey, thanks a lot tekazgtr1984. I'm gonna mail Mike later on during the day. Did you change your wheels as soon as you installed the lift?

No worries! :D

As soon as the lift was installed, 32" Toyo A/T's and 16x8 Helo Maxx8 wheels with 4.75" BS were also installed.