Trailer hitch options

Crazy Geologist

I searched for a thread...I hope this hasn't already gone around.

I need to get a trailer hitch. But just about every hitch I have seen on pathys has sat inches below the bumper. Is there a hitch manufactuer who sells one that doesn't rob too much clearance? Maybe arranged such that the receiver is behind the lic. plate? :shrug:

I dont know of any off the top of my head that are made for the Pathfinder but Im gonna try to get one from a Hard body to work. Its a Smitty built and it looks like this...

IM000606.jpg

Rami

And I thought my old one was an anchor. You'd be lucky not to get hooked up in a car park with that one.

You will have to have one fabbed. Even with my ride hight I ended up removing mine. I called it an anchor.

Yep, that's what mine is like...

CG, as V6 said have one made... go by trailer or local welding shops. Tell them what your needs and requirements are (tow capacity and size/placement restrictions) and they should be able to hook you up with a custom made unit.

Check around through, get the best price/quality combo you can.

Edit: Picture of mine, you can see it hanging way down under the bumper :huh:

hitch2qf.jpg

Edited by RedPath88

And this indeed is the only reason why I don't have a rear hitch yet. I hate how all the designs hang like two feet below the goddamn bumper.

I am looking forward to making my own custom setup in the spring...

:allclean:

Yeah a replacement is planned for the future... just not sure when.

I got this one used from a wrecking yard for $50 It looked almost brand new. I needed the ability too tow a trailer so I picked it up to serve the need until a proper one could be made.

292527692_m.jpg

i can tell u, i have just a plain jane hitch on mine and it does take a beating

(yes i know theres a guy in front of my truck, he noticed after the fact, dont try that at home, and sorry bout the kid with the middle finger, i dint see him doing that seeing has how hes outside of the truck)

yeah, I guess a custom bumper is the way to go...then I won't bend it every time I try to get un- highcentered. Thanks for the input

They are very tough, I have had trucks hanging from the hitch without any bending (or damage to the bumper) as well as dragging through rocks and other stuff. I personally like the extra little bit of protection it provides. Others will disagree. If you really need that extra few centimeters of ground clearance at the bumper, then a hitch will get in the way for sure.

AHEM... on topic...

I dunno, I like my hitch. It's a nice familiar sound when it hits off a rock. it's the other crashes and bangs offroad that make me nervous.

If anyone wants to get rid of their hitch, I'll take it...

AHEM... on topic...

Was that on topic ?? Sheesh, Mod for a day and she's already running all over 'correcting' things !! I guess the place just needs a womans touch... :blink::D

B

If anyone wants to get rid of their hitch, I'll take it...

Was that on topic ?? Sheesh, Mod for a day and she's already running all over 'correcting' things !! I guess the place just needs a womans touch... :blink::D

B

yes, I did keep it on topic, thanks.

I have a hitch for sale, the old stock one that I had before I replaced it with a class III hidden hitch.

• 2 months later...

Bump. I am currently in the 20hour of this marathon of trying to find plans/instructions/guidance/formula/whatever for putting this custom rear bumper hitch thing together when I finally came across this thread that describes exactly what I am looking for (Good thing work is light on Saturday, and have been getting paid for it). Anyway, has anyone made any progress on this? I think I am just gonna buy some metal on Monday and start fabbing (I am in Sacramento if anyone is interested in helping).

- D

'91 Pathfinder