Help! Pathy won't start after TB cleaning!

OR99.5Speed

LOL, not if the motor wasn't cranking...

Look, once you have the motor cranking over and know you have spark, you can worry about the fuel... ;) One step at a time. Of course, putting some gas in it could be required when you get there.

Sorry, I don't have/have never worked on an R50, but I'm guessing the starter is down low on the passenger side ?? Well, I feel better, Pezzy has no clue and she ownes one... :o

B

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah its pretty weird to attribute all of this to TB cleaner. sw is right. Even if you flooded the engine with the cleaner, it would start with the pedal to the floor or at least crank.

I've had a similar occurence with a previous vehicle. I thought the battery was dead, the lights still came on, radio still worked and we tried to push start it and the tires would just lock up and slide. Solution? Loose battery terminal. :rolleyes: But I'm sure you've already ruled that out, right?

Edited by DJ Dank

Yeah, sorry guys, but I gave up and called a tow truck.

I unhooked the intake tube to the throttle body. It smelled like gasoline but leaving it open to eveaporate didn't do anything. All of my wiring and connectors on the intake were secure. I sure as hell hope I didn't run out of gas, because I will officially be the biggest n00b on NPORA!

Thanks for the help and I'll tell what happened when I get my truck back!

And the final verdict is...

The starter.

Yup, it needed a new starter, but what I can't figure out is why when we kickstarted it it wouldn't start.

The plugs were also cleaned off.

The bill was so expensive I don't even want to think about it...plus I won't mention how much it was here.

Thanks for the help! :clap:

Damn, you're slightly low. :hide:

I'm so pissed.

I know it's not the car's fault, but the amount of money I have and still need to put into it equals lease payments on a new Mazda 3. Unfortunately, it looks like I'll still have the Pathfinder for another couple of years.

:hide:

daumn my man.. maybe santa will bring you a bucket of cash, eh? :D

still makes me wonder why it didn't fire up when you pushed it... was the key on? i know it doesn't really matter at this point in time but i am still puzzled.

hope it all turns out ok..

it's supposed to be in the 40s here for x-mas.. wth? is up with this winter..

Yeah you better hide making that kind of comment on here.

No no no, I love the Pathfinder, but here's how it goes.

Pathfinder with 92k miles: $8,000

New Optima and alternator belt: $200

Timing belt, tensioner, water pump & a few other things: $950

New tranny fluid and coolant: $100

New starter and cleaning plugs: $575 -argue-

Grand total: $9,825

Plus-

What it will need soon:

New tires in next 9 months: $600

New suspension (rear factory coils, Rancho shocks + KYB struts and strut mounts): $600

New brake rotors and pads and ATE Super Blue fluid: $375

New AC compressor: $750

All provided nothing else goes wrong in the next 25k miles:

$2325

Grand total is $12, 150 for an estimated 2.5 years of use

minus value of truck in 2.5 years ($5,000)

$7,150 for 3 years of use. Maybe that's not too bad.

I just really can't have a new car because I can only have liability after the GF totalled the 4Runner.

if you look around the you can have the battery and belt for close to 50 bucks less.

this is why you should learn to diy. tranny fluid and coolant for a hundred? holy cow, i can do that myself for like 30 bucks or something and less then an hour on my back. why new ac? the old one's bad? i am sure you can find that for way less.. e-bay maybe worth looking into my man..

Dude, you can't fault the truck for a bunch of stuff that either is worn out or is routine maintenance for that age. As for the starter cost... well... we could go many places with that. It was mentioned above, after all. :rolleyes: The only abnormal things would probably be that starter, the coils (who says they have to be replaced? Is there a problem?) and the AC compressor. As for the rest, any vehicle with some miles will have those costs. But in the end, you're running down the road, and you've lived and learned. I bet you'll remember this next time something comes up. Welcome to the joys of vehicle ownership!

On a side note, how fast did you push when bump-starting it? I've done it on cars before where you have to get it really MOVING pretty good, say around 5mph.

Oh, and don't read too much into mine and other people's criticisms. We've all been there at one point, and just ask most any of these guys. I've pulled some good ones myself. Often. I'm good at it. -thnkboutit-

Edited by Mr. Pickles

I don't know if I buy that.........Unless something's drastically different from kick starting a 95, because I got mine going, by rolling SLOWLY in reverse, (in reverse gear) and popping the clutch. Started right up. My guess is the key was in the acc. position, as opposed to the on position. :shrug:

Reverse also has a hell of a lot more torque than 1st gear, let alone 2nd. When I've tried starting mine from first I can do it when barely moving and the tires skid at first but eventually catch and starts right up. Going in reverse would just allow you to start it going even slower, right?

hey i dono if you ever got your pathy started but the same thing happend to me whne i cleaned my throttle body out. turns out i had throttle body fluid in the pistons and it wouldn't compress i unplugge my #6 cylinder and turned the key all the gunk came out and the engine turned over. my pathy is a 1992 so i dono if the engine is set up the same but it is slightly angled so that the fluid must have flown to the rear cylinder.

• 3 months later...

UPDATE:

Just occured to me that I have be a bad member and haven't updated my thread. I had the Pathfinder towed to a mechanic when this happened. I told him all that I did and they were very confused. The mechanic called me a few hours after I dropped it off saying the STARTER was bad! My best guess is the starter crapped out coincidentally. Really bizarre stuff and no, my Dad does not believe the mechanic. I do though, plus My car is on/off about 5 times a day.

After the starter is put in it I find out the truck burns oil, leading me to this thread of mine:

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...=20entry89625