The troubles just grow

unccpathfinder

damn. where is that free motor when you need it, eh? the other one may still be for sale.. haven't looked at that thread in a while.

The guy seems to have flaked out big time... Last message I sent him was on October first and it has still not been read yet. Last time I heard anything from him was on September 11th. He said he already had it crated and would check on shipping.

uucc, you might give it a shot but I would recommend not holding your breath :shrug:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well there was 1 on ebay for 695 but it was gonna be like 100+ to ship it and its only like 5 hrs from me so i asked him if i could pick it up and he was like ABSOLUTLY NO P/U so i was like well then

i'll keep looking...im gonna try to crank her up and get some video with audio so yall can hear what shes doin cuze im lost

• 2 weeks later...

i pulled the rockers and all the lifters looked to be in normal condition not any crazy wear or nicks everything was smooth...

the scope idea i had but there are 2 reasons y i havent done it yet

1. its really loud the video doesnt really protray that

2. with my luck i'd be listening and then QAPOW something bigger would break and i would be somehow seriously injured

still donno what im gonna do... :sniff:

:o wow. that sounds bad. Like MZ said.. almost sounded like the fan was hitting or something is getting hit by external moving parts... too loud to be a dry knock i'd say... oof.. hope you can find the problem. Sorry I can't be of any help on this... :sniff: poor pathy

I watched the video before reading the rest of the posts and my first guess was the Fan... I did not notice a change in feq when you rev'd the engine.... Got me stumped out side of the fan or something hitting one of the pulley's...

hay just a thought.

not having ever seen a vg30 in real life

im not sure what there harmonic balancers are like, im assuming they have one.... :hide:

check to see the rubbers on the harmonic balancers havent perished and its just the pully moving around with respect to the crank shaft.

shortly after my engine conversion i had a real loud metal on metal noise/clunk. i was stressn out thinking i had broken something serious. so i preceeded to tear the motor down till i had taken both heads off. of course everything was perferct. so i started to put the engine back together and THEN i noticed the harmonic balancer was stuffed. i threw a new balencer on and walla all good.

also having watched the video a fair bit what is that puff of something at the 9/10 second mark, seems interesting.

another sugestion remove all the aux belts (steer, ac, alt) and remove the hydrofan and then starter up. see if this makes any difference at all. start crossn stuff off the list.

Edited by sw

fans clear as well as balancer and i did notice more (blue) smoke black is often b/c of exhaust leak and the o2 getting bad readings...i have had b4 since earlier i discussed a lil smoke after idle...but i will take the advice of pulling the belts and all that good stuff to check it out

yeah, the ballencer has been a little bit of an issue here and there.. check the keyway and see it it's still there and if the ballancer is in the right position.. but you'd get a vibration from hell if that was the case.. i don't see it..

any fluid mixing? have you checked compression on the cylinders? backfire with the smoke?

spun crank bearing could be one of the things.. it's almost impossible to tell from the vid.. can you shoot another one looking at the engine.. so we can have a better look/listen?

try to do everything possible before you start disassembly of the motor..

turning by hand everything felt very smooth and no rough spots...

did it feel loose in any way?

one more q. how is the oil pressure?

Edited by mzxtreme

you need to isolate where the noise is coming from. My guess would be one of 3 places front, top or bottom:

1. fan blade hitting something

2. failed hydrolic lifter in valve cover (either or both)

3. worn main bearing on crank shaft (crawl under, noise would coming from oil pan.

Once you locate the noise, the solution should be easy

well the fan shroud isnt in the truck so that eliminates the fan

how would i check for a failed lifter when i pulled the rocker arms i checked all of them and they seemed to be oiled and moved freely and were clean of any unnecissary wear

i might climb under there this afternoon and see if its coming from the bottom end...thats where i really think its coming from

didn't think it was the fan but...heck, gotta check.

lifter noises will go away once they get oiled unless they are completely buggered. If you had them out, check for free movement and tat the oil-feed hole is not clogged. You could also try holding a small piece of tubing at the orafice and blowing to see if they expand.

Noise from the bearings are due to a larger than normal gap between the bearing and the crank shaft. Prolonged running will produce a hammering effect and flatten your bearing. Let us know if that's where the noise is from and we can enter into a discussion of how to fix it.

well i've been searching for a ride all morning to northern tool so i could pick up a stethoscope but i have failed miserably every1 is hung over cuze yest was the last day of classes...

but i cranked her this morning to check and see if i could tell where its coming from by putting my ear as close as i could to the heads and under the oil pan and i can almost say its prob the crank b/c its a lot louder than any kind of lifter noise i've heard and its petty loud from the underside too

going to try and build a stethoscope but the only thing im not sure on is if i need to make a vaccume on the tubing running from the "ear pieces" to the probe b/c i think i need to but not sure but im gonna go try different things to see if i cant figure out where its coming from

well i've been searching for a ride all morning to northern tool so i could pick up a stethoscope but i have failed miserably every1 is hung over cuze yest was the last day of classes...

but i cranked her this morning to check and see if i could tell where its coming from by putting my ear as close as i could to the heads and under the oil pan and i can almost say its prob the crank b/c its a lot louder than any kind of lifter noise i've heard and its petty loud from the underside too

going to try and build a stethoscope but the only thing im not sure on is if i need to make a vaccume on the tubing running from the "ear pieces" to the probe b/c i think i need to but not sure but im gonna go try different things to see if i cant figure out where its coming from

no need to build one. Get a piece of tubing (prolly about 1/2 in ID or less) and use that.

Quick run to just about any hardware store or pet store should do. Hold one end to your ear and the other at the heads or pan and you should be able to tell

i used a really long bolt and it seemed that it was def bottom end noise... but not really conclusive evidence b/c by each cylinder on both sides the noise sounded about the same but around the pan it was a lil louder...for the 5 mins i ran her i did notice she dropped a buncha oil and this is the 1st time i've ever seen it drop a oil spot in the driveway

2050078_26_full.jpg

but i do belive that is enough evidence to go ahead and start saving for a engine hoist

still no clue to where the oil is coming from i pulled the alt and all that good stuff and everything is just coated

well as bad as that leak is i think that means im gonna have to pull the motor to fix that b/c thats horrible...and now i start kicking myself in the butt for switching over to high mileage oil...i know that prob isnt the cause of this but a couple days after changing the oil all this crap comes on...

valve covers back on?

you can rent an engine hoist at a tool rental place for prob less then 50 a day.

you can pull the cams out with the motor still in.. not sure about the crank.. maybe too. it probably depends if you remove the AC exchanger (rad)

Hey, I didn't read the first page so this might have been talked about, but have you considered hooking up an oil pressure gauge? You can get'em at Partsource for like $20 and it will give you a better indication of whats happenin in your engine.

Good luck with the fix.

yea i had the valve covers on and good and tight and they werent leaking

well i can get a hoist from northern tool for about $140 which i was planning on buying before my truck broke so i can pull the 152 out of project scout and put a 350 in but for now project scout has once again been put on the back burner

i was thinking rear main seal but the oil is coming from the front side

an oil pressure gage will mount where the sensor is now correct? the 1 that goes to the dummy light?

i was thinking rear main seal but the oil is coming from the front side

an oil pressure gage will mount where the sensor is now correct? the 1 that goes to the dummy light?

could be your cam seals. If you pull the t-belt cover, you can tell fairly easily. The oil from there runs down and eventually drips out the bottom of the shield by the crank pulley.

As for the pressure gauge, make sure you get one that matched the threads but, yea, I believe you just install it on the block above the starter where the sensor is.

Yeah, the gauge just mounts where the sensor is now, its a cheap and easy mod and its good to have.

My dummy light was coming on periodically so I thought my oil-pump was going. I installed the gauge and OP seems to be alright. My sensor cover was full of mud and crap so I think it was sending a false warning....at least I hope so. :unsure: