The troubles just grow

unccpathfinder

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and now i start kicking myself in the butt for switching over to high mileage oil

Did you also change the filter??? Is that where the leak is coming from?? I know I have not tightened 1 or 2 all the way in the past with oily hands....

:blink: just a thought i think you should do a compression check on all cylinders and see if all are firing then work your way back from there. that noise seems like crank or cam related to me. i had a bad noise when i blew an engine in my camaro but it had to do with the throw out bearing failing and wearing a groove in my crank main bearing allowing it to move about an half and inch ---i will let you guess what that was like. but i know the engine in your pathy is totally different just wanted to give my 2 cents. as for the camaro i dropped an engine it raced the hell out of it and now i own a pathy and the camaro sits in the driveway pathy's rule. getting muddy is much funner and safer than racing it.

not coming from the oil filter checked it good and tight

compression check is still waiting my buddy has been slack about making his way over here

im really thinking i broke the crank or bearing...my friends dad broke 1 and he said it sounds exactly like mine and he drove it 5 miles home

i think im gonna drain the oil off today and see if i have any metal in it

::crosses fingers and hopes no::

ok well we got thru 2 cylinders B4 my battery was very weak and measured the 1st 2 at 125 and then the next 2 came out to 60 and the last 2 around 30 or so but the battery was really really weak and now it just clicks and we suspect that it def wasnt spinning the motor anywhere near 300RPM so we figured compression was good on all 6 since it seemed to decrease as the batteries power decreased

before running the test i cranked it up for him to hear and he said it sounded like a car that had just had its oil changed and the oil pump wasnt working properly so i guess my next thing is to to get a oil pres gage...

do oil pumps contain a weep hole like the water pump so in the event that they start to go bad they spew oil to say "hey look at me im going bad"?

yeah, i asked you about the oil pressure a while back.. from that vid, one of the things i thought was the lifters or something.. my thought was that maybe the oil wasn't getting there.

the oil pump is internal.. inside the oil pan..

i wouldn't assume about the cyl. pressures.. test them while you have the guage.. you'll have reference numbers for the future at least..

oil pumps dont contain 'weep holes', they just stop working HOWEVER once there is no oil pressure the 'low oil pressure' light comes on - indicating a problem.

just a funny thought check to see the connections to the oil pressure switch are ok and that there is actually a working globe for that indicator light.

i wouldn't assume about the cyl. pressures.. test them while you have the guage.. you'll have reference numbers for the future at least..

yea he had some stuff to get done so as the battery was dying and i didnt have a charger the best we could do is see that the pressures were dropping as the battery died cuze we did go back and check 1 of the 1's we already had done that came out to be the 125 and it had dropped to 60 but do plan on running a better test after i get some $ to get a new battery or find a charger to borrow

the oil light hasnt come on so im not sure it actually works so i think the pressure gage might help out b/c i know im getting some pressure b/c we pulled a valve cover after running it and it had oil up there as well as in the oil filter

i have finals today tomorow and weds so i prob wont get to mess with it but i think im going to pull the the timing belt and housing just to see if i can pin point the leak

after getting up this AM at 7 to drive the gf to the airport so she could go enjoy the virgin islands for 5 days i came home and pulled off the timing belt and cam gears and what not and found that my oil leaks def are the cam seals i could follow the oil trail all the way to the tranny it was 4x worse on the driver side than the pass. side

so that covers my horrible oil leak which it hasnt been cranked in over a week an its in the 40's and if i wipe the around the seals in like a half hr or so u can see it starting to seep out again

but for the horrible raquet it makes im still unsure of...but im still curious if the noise im hearing is predetination or detination by compression where i might have damaged a plug wire so its not sparking? i've never heard this 1st hand b4...but i wouldnt expect it to be that loud?

what i was gonna do is change cam seals timing belt (even tho it only has like 25k on it) plugs and plug wires as well as a battery since that has died but i cant really do all that and cross my fingers and hope everything cranks up good but i doubt it...but i cant do any of that until after christmas due to the fact that im broke (hell i changed a horn in saturn last night for an 18 pack haha)