calmini sas

deadkennedys

Well they've been "working" on it forever. I am not happy that it looks like it's leafs. If they release a coilover kit i may think about it though...

I think some things are good and some things are bad about it. We'll see though. It better be massively cheaper than the $1800 they want for the Xterra/Fronty kit if it's on leafs.

Thats good news. A company like Calmini doesn't rush things, hence the long wait. Coilover would be nice, but I think it would take ALOT more welding to the Pathy to make it fit, as their kit is strickly bolt on with the exception of welding the hangers on the axel. Also, having bought Calmini products before, I can say this: I don't think it's gonna be too much cheeper than the xTerra one, sorry to say. It's Calmini; It's Great............great but expensive.

Also, having bought Calmini products before, I can say this: I don't think it's gonna be too much cheeper than the xTerra one, sorry to say. It's Calmini; It's Great............great but expensive.

How so...

Unless Calmini will include springs, all you get is spring hangers, steering linkages, and one maybe two custom crossmembers. That's not a whole lot for what you said wouldn't be much less expensive than Xterra kit.

Well, with my tweaked front frame horns, I'd wind up spending at least $1000 to get them straight again and still have a shot stock front end...

I'll take the leaf spring SAS for $1800 Bob !!! I'm sure I'll be happy with it and it would probably increase the resale of the vehicle as much as it costs. Not to mention the front end wouldn't be fighting its self around every corner... :D

B

QUOTE (MaritimeMan @ Nov 2 2005, 03:14 PM)

Also, having bought Calmini products before, I can say this: I don't think it's gonna be too much cheeper than the xTerra one, sorry to say. It's Calmini; It's Great............great but expensive. 

How so...

Ok, but mark my words, I bet it's still gonna be $1600+

*bows out*

hehe, I'm wrong. See I can admit that. I just called Calmini. The guy on the phone said it was commin out very very soon, they are just finalizing the pics and what not to put up on the site. I asked about price, and he didn't give me a direct price, but he did say it was going to be considerably cheeper than the X. This is due to the regular hangers as opposed to coil overs of the X's. So yes Filthy, you are right.

There's something about the words "Calmini" and "great" in the same sentence that just doesn't ring right with me...unless of course they are separated by a negative of some sort. In my experiences in dealing with "Crapmini," I have not had a SINGLE positive experience. Their customer service is wretched, their quality isn't up to par with their pricing, and their powdercoating/surface treatment just plain SUCKS!

Here's just one example of Calmini's WONDERFUL *cough* *LMFAO* (I can't even say that with a straight face) customer service:

I was helping a friend of mine attempt to install a set of Calmini Shackles on his Frontier. The kit was missing one of their "specialized lock nuts," that apparently you can't get anywhere. Bologna, I say, but whatever. So I call them up and try to get them to send us a nut so we can finish installing the shackles. Mind you, we've got one side of the suspension already torn apart, and those factory "shackles," if you can even call them that, do not like to go back together. So after about half an hour of being transfered back and forth between 3 different people, I finally get pissed off enough and shout at one guy. "Look, all I need is a damn NUT!" They first tried to blame me for the missing piece, saying I must have lost it. I say, no way no how, the package was sealed and intact when I layed my hands on it, and there was only 3 nuts in the box. Then, they wanted me to pay them $15 for the nut, plus $40 for overnight shipping! IT'S A DAMN NUT! $55 FOR A FRIKKIN NUT?!? So I told him he could keep the nut, and called SLR. I had a fully intact set of SLR shackles the next day. :aok:

And that's just one of MANY horror stories I have about Calmini. I cannot recommend them based on my experiences. Also, I feel that a "bolt-on SAS Kit" is a copout. If you've got the need for an SAS, you ought to have the ability to fabricate your own SAS. That way, you know exactly what is entailed in it, you can design in your own weak points, you can build it to YOUR specs...that's the point of an SAS.

Those are just my $0.05 cents....inflation.... :laugh:

If you've got the need for an SAS, you ought to have the ability to fabricate your own SAS.

Dude, I'm a good machinist, a fair mechanic and a moderate shade tree engineer. I don't know welding and have never SAS'd a vehicle and don't know anyone who has, much less anyone near by. My attitude is to check out the kit when it comes out (what it is/costs/entails) then get feed back. Then depending, I may go for it with the view point 1/2 'training wheels', 1/2 'gotta start somewhere'. Regardless, my truck has some drame framage and it would cost me at least 1/2 the $ of just SASing to fix it. Hell, I have to borrow a garage to work in ! :(

Jury is out for now, but for me it may be a viable plan... :shrug:

So how soon are you going to post your SAS design ?? ;)

B

NOBODY is gonna buy it then.

That's about $50 bucks out of junkyard parts for hangers, $100 of DOM tubing and few balljoints from NAPA.

wow,,, how mis informed you are.

ok, dom tubing.. 1.5" 1/4" wall = approx 8.75 per foot, gonna need about 14 feet. Ball joints.. approx 30 dollars each! that is for a mid grade, not cheap not expensive.. oh did i mension you will need 8? and they dont come with jam nuts.. thats another 2 bucks a piece. oh weldable inserts for your dom tube.. 8-10 bucks a piece.. again 8 of them.

one more thing,,, got a welder, a lathe?

oh crap.. back to springs.. about 150 bucks..

.. did you buy that steel yet? square tubing, and plate to fabricate your custom frame mounts?

damn shocks too! 35-50 bucks each. and last but not least.. with a live axle in the front, you will have to have some custom exhaust work done. not to mension a new drive line.. and then there is the factor that you may have to build a custom cross member for the tranny, depending on how much lift you want.

its not so cheap. take it from me.. i know how much a SAS costs on a pathfinder, using coil springs.

Also, I feel that a "bolt-on SAS Kit" is a copout. If you've got the need for an SAS, you ought to have the ability to fabricate your own SAS.  That way, you know exactly what is entailed in it, you can design in your own weak points, you can build it to YOUR specs...that's the point of an SAS. 

I think the only point to a SAS is to make your car more track worthy and reliable. And why is a bolt on kit a copout? It makes good sense to me. It makes a cheap reliable enhancement available to everyone. There is no need to "have the ability" to build it yourself just because you want or need one. You may as well have said build and design your own 4wd if you want to 4wd.

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

wow,,, how mis informed you are.

I dunno bud. You're the one listing stuff that's not even part of the Calmini kit. I understand that SAS is very expensive as a whole, but my point is that they give you very very little and like to charge a whole lot.

You still need a welder to install the 'bolt-on' kit from Calmini. :rolleyes:

Edited by Filthy Luker

-bounce- I likie "bolt on"... have you ever seen me fabricate or weld anything? I could spend the $1800 just screwing things up b 4 I got it right.. IF I got it right at all.. hehe... and it takes less time.. and my Pathy is my DD.. so I couldn't have her sitting int he garage til I got it right... Calmini are expensive.. but from what I can see their stuff lasts and is built strong?

I would prefer coil over.. but hey... SAS is SAS baby unless you can and have the ability to, build it yourself to your own specs. At lest they're doing SOMETHING for the WD-21 community now :aok:

I dunno bud. You're the one listing stuff that's not even part of the Calmini kit. I understand that SAS is very expensive as a whole, but my point is that they give you very very little and like to charge a whole lot.

You still need a welder to install the 'bolt-on' kit from Calmini. :rolleyes:

Really? what did i mension thats not involved in an SAS? if they are using leaf springs then i would be wrong but using coil springs, you will need nearly, if not everything i mensioned.

If I was going to sell a SAS kit for a pathfiner, it would cost 6-700 bucks without the axle. Tack on another 400 1600 bucks for that and its about right. Problem is, there is only a couple axles that you could use on a pathfinder..

I have done a solid axle swap on a pathfinder and alot of custom suspension work.

Anyway.. just trying to help the community stay informed

Really? what did i mension thats not involved in an SAS? if they are using leaf springs then i would be wrong but using coil springs, you will need nearly, if not everything i mensioned.

If I was going to sell a SAS kit for a pathfiner, it would cost 6-700 bucks without the axle. Tack on another 400 1600 bucks for that and its about right. Problem is, there is only a couple axles that you could use on a pathfinder..

I have done a solid axle swap on a pathfinder and alot of custom suspension work.

Anyway.. just trying to help the community stay informed

I think you missed his point, again.

i'm just glad A SAS kit is finally going to be availiable.. i too wish i could have either all coils or all leafs.. but... again... FINALLY an SAS.. now the real ?... i'm still converting my pathy to 4WD ...i'm at the point of putting in the front diff.. lol or should i just wait for sas.. ah decisions decisions.. maybe a discusion for another post...

i'm just glad A SAS kit is finally going to be availiable.. i too wish i could have either all coils or all leafs.. but... again... FINALLY an SAS.. now the real ?... i'm still converting my pathy to 4WD ...i'm at the point of putting in the front diff.. lol or should i just wait for sas.. ah decisions decisions.. maybe a discusion for another post...

We all told you from the onset of your lust to have a 4wd Pathy to cut out the middle man and do a SAS. It would have been the cheaper, better option. :unsure:

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

Haha.... Just wait 'till he starts going through front end components.

SHHHH! Filthy. He is going to kick his own arse so hard for not putting in a live axle. :D

He did have his reasons for doing it the way he did. I was just perplexed as to why he posed the idea of a SAS at this point in time. :wacko: