header differences from 89 to 90

hastifc

I would add that if the manufacturer's application notes do not mention the year, it's likely that it will not work for some reason. In the case of headers, it could be due to a different bolt pattern, intake arrangement, not enough room, or simply that "too much" customization is needed to get them to go in.

I would note that Throley makes two separate types of headers - one for '86-'89 & one for '90-'95. Pace Setter has a similar setup. They're doing this for a reason.

Unfortunately I don't have a FSM for pre-90's 'Finders, so I can't say for sure about specific differences.

I'm sure it has something to do with the differences in the VG30E and VG30I engines, there are definatly some major differences in the intakes between the two so I would assume that would lead to differences in the exhausts of the two.

I guess so, but it's just a guess.

Well V6, if I can't elaborate or I have no idea , I generally don't post. Seeing as you had already covered the "I don't know" side of things, I figured I'd leave it to the people who did. Seems to me the answer is "No, probably not easily. Better just buy the right year" from the replies... :shrug:

B

will a header mfg'd for a 90 v6fit an 89v6? not scared of a little fab. should, right?

why not get headers for an 89? Because judging by this page, which was painstakingly scanned by 88pathoffroad, says they are different part numbers. I can't tell you the exact difference, but I assume they are not the same. Why bother with fabbing when you can buy what fits.

This place was good when I bought my set:

Rocky Road

I got my thorley headers for 329 bucks. If they don't have them in stock, call the factory because they aren't a popular product to keep stocked all the time. The factory will usually have them stocked so just ask the retailer to do a drop shipment to your place from the factory. That's what I did. There are other places to buy them, and there is also pacesetter brand headers availible for your engine. Do a search as it's a popular topic around here.

I guess so, but it's just a guess.

Good to see that out of the 21 views to this post (as of this writing) no one was willing to offer up any help, suggestions, knowledge or ideas. In fact 90+% of  topics have not been added to all f*cking day. Is this site just for voyers now? CRAP!

I only post when I think my answer might actualy be helpfull (I know some are not, but that is another thing :lol: ). I try not to "guess" as quite often guessing can lead to an expensive wrong result. And it appeasr that may be the case here :shrug:

• 3 weeks later...

The headers will not fit easily as the 90+ pathys have a flange on them and the bend is different and this will hit the frame crossmember that is different on the 90 and up. It is much farther forward,so unless you are good at bending and welding I would suggest you find a set made for an 89( how do I know this, because I had the same problem and bought the 90+ header anyway as a last resort....It didnt work) Hope you get the message in enough time.

The headers will not fit easily as the 90+ pathys have a flange on them and the bend is different and this will hit the frame crossmember that is different on the 90 and up. It is much farther forward,so unless you are good at bending and welding I would suggest you find a set made for an 89( how do I know this, because I had the same problem and bought the 90+ header anyway as a last resort....It didnt work) Hope you get the message in enough time.

thx, ct pathy, i appreciate that. got the right ones finally