difference in blocks

unccpathfinder

im not looking to change out my ecu and all that good stuff but i am going to need a new motor and my plans are to have 1 ready to drop in when i pull the old 1 out...

i am curious how similar the blocks from say an early to mid 90s pathfinder block is to the 1 in the 87 (3.0L v)...i didnt know if the heads and intake have all the same bolt patterns and what not as well as if they'd mate up with the driveline.

:shrug:

As far as I know, a 90's VG30E will bolt up fine to the tranny. My manual shows bolt patterns the same for the V6's intake and exhaust, but without dimensions it's hard to tell. Not to mention my manual only covers 89-95. I'd try to find a motor from the same year personally...

Someone with a 2 door and 4 door chime in ?

B

sounds good...i cross referenced gasket #'s and other common parts in the motors and the part #'s were all the same...and i would prefer to go with the same year but im having problems finding them at a reasonable price so if i can find something that'll work then im gonna go with what the bank account can handle...

This I have done. 89 and earlier are VG30I blocks. 90 to 95 are VG30E blocks. The differences are subtle but there. For one thing the VG30I block does not have a knock sensor and the VG30E does. Your ECU would be out there looking for the knock sensor, so you have to give it some type of signal. But before you think you will just add a knock sensor, take note that you are going to have to mount one on the block by drilling a hole in the block. Maritimeman helped me find a location and everything is fine.

As far as bolt patterns and heads and bell housings everything will fit. The Exhaust manifolds are different between the two, but the right set of holes are in both blocks. Obviously the intakes are different and you ahve to run the injectors for the ECU. Gasket sets will list as different, but that is because of things like the intake being different. You buy the gasket set for the VG30E motor. While the motor mounts themselves are not different, how they attach to the frame is. No problem here, but I do know that a 95 is a real PITA with the motor mounts.

Finally you did not say which tranny you have. I was stupid. in an auto tranny you can pull the motor and leave the tranny behind. In a manual tranny the tranny needs to move first. All the "perfect" pathy experts knew that I discovered that the first time I tried to a motor from a manual tranny pathy. I have done it many times with the auto before that.

Hope this helps.

I have a 91 with a VG30E with a knock sensor and a 95 with a VG30E with a knock sensor. Or do you mean you removed the knock sensor? The knock sensor is located in the valley between the two cylinder banks. It can not be seen or felt without removing the intake. (I guess someone with small hands could reach and touch it)

Is this a special 95 model like a non US version. I can not imagine a California reg pathy not having one when the rest of the country does.

This I have done. 89 and earlier are VG30I blocks. 90 to 95 are VG30E blocks. The differences are subtle but there. For one thing the VG30I block does not have a knock sensor and the VG30E does. Your ECU would be out there looking for the knock sensor

so im putting the *94* motor in an 87 pathy so that wouldnt pose a problem would it?

As far as bolt patterns and heads and bell housings everything will fit. The Exhaust manifolds are different between the two, but the right set of holes are in both blocks.

if i changed heads wouldnt my old exhaust manifolds still mount to the old head? and the same for the intake?

While the motor mounts themselves are not different, how they attach to the frame is. No problem here, but I do know that a 95 is a real PITA with the motor mounts.

how are they different? as in im going to have to drill new holes or fabricate new brackets?

i also have a manual tranny and im guessing your saying it needs to be dropped (do a clutch change cuze i need it) and then put the motor in and put the tranny back in...or are u saying im going to have to relocate my tranny mounts as well?

There is only one tranny mount on the rear cross member that also holds the T-bar adjusters. You won't have to do anything to that. I don't know if you have to move the tranny, but it sounds like it... I'd just try moving it back rather than removing it. That means just removing the tranny mount, some wires and the rear driveline at the diff and maybe the shifters. Really not that bad. Make sure to put clock marks on the diff and driveline...

if i changed heads wouldnt my old exhaust manifolds still mount to the old head? and the same for the intake?

Yes, as long as the heads bolt up the same... JK, I believe its the same... ;)

B

No problem going down in years. So a 94 motor in an 87 is fine. You will just have an extra sensor or two. The problem comes when the ECU is looking for something that is not there.

Exhausts manifold will fit on all years they just use different holes in the block. The intakes for the VG30I and VG30E just use different bolts. The I version bolts are shorter than the E version. You just use the right bolts for the intake.

I am sorry that I missed that the chassis was an 87. This is a good swap. 88 said to put in a VG33E... that is a good swap also. I went a bit different by boring out a VG30E to more than a VG33E. Now I still have a problem in making the wires all mate up properly because I used an 88 block to go into the 91.

Wiring takes time, patience, and some talent. I believe that I only possess the last one.

I forgot about your motor mount question. In an 87 you should be golden. For some reason on my 95 they decided that the nuts did not need to be welded to the frame so you need to try to get a wrench on them. On your rig, just take the mounts off the frame and pull them with the motor. Put them back the same way. You know you are lined up when the holes meet.

Hey is this an auto or manual?

Exhausts manifold will fit on all years they just use different holes in the block. The intakes for the VG30I and VG30E just use different bolts. The I version bolts are shorter than the E version. You just use the right bolts for the intake.

i should be square there cuze its a full motor(so i could take olds or go buy new 1's for that block and be on point)...only concern i have is that he replaced a 90k motor with a 45k "because he had it" which is fishy to me but i dont care as long as the bottom half is not burnin oil b/c i plan on taking my old motor and building it up just for more power...opinions on that...i plan on questioning more plus it seems like 1 of those too good to be true deals...

Is this a special 95 model like a non US version. I can not imagine a California reg pathy not having one when the rest of the country does.

my 92 XE has a knock sensor.. but unless, as above, you remove the intake, you can't see it or even know it's there.. but it is.... here's mine. I took this pic b 4 I put the motor back in.. so you can imagine... and my Pathy is a Cali gal. damn smog crap :furious:

Edited by Slick