locking hubs

Guest coydad

are manual lock hubs better than auto lockers ?

my pathfinder has auto but they don't work anymore should I replace my auto's for manual lockers?

So it would be fine with you if post #2 was asking how to crank t-bars? :laugh:

Isn't that MaritimeMan's territory? :D

To poor Newbie guy, please pay us morons no mind. We speak fluent gibberish. Please continue in your pursuit of knowledge! -study-

Hey now, the first post was a direct link to the same topic just so recently churned, again.

No T-bars mentioned here so shut up Filthy !! :D

Coydad, ignore the banter, it's just that sometimes identical questions are posted and it is preferred than a link to a recent post is provided. The Search function can help sometimes, but I highly recommend the Advanced functions and Help so you dont have to wade through MBs of stuff. Don't be shy about asking questions either, we may be able to help... ;)

B

ok... I'm not gonna be a prick

I prefer the automatic ones. Just recently on an offroad weekend, I was playing in 2wd in a mudhole and couldn't quite push it out the other side. Threw my little lever for 4H and chugged right out. I never had to get out in the rain and mud to lock my hubs.

a side note... I went back later that day and conquered the same mudhole in 2WD just because I was pissed that I didn't make it the first time. Damn train ain't gonna get the best of me!

2-cents-300-bw.jpg

ok... I'm not gonna be a prick

I prefer the automatic ones. Just recently on an offroad weekend, I was playing in 2wd in a mudhole and couldn't quite push it out the other side. Threw my little lever for 4H and chugged right out. I never had to get out in the rain and mud to lock my hubs.

a side note... I went back later that day and conquered the same mudhole in 2WD just because I was pissed that I didn't make it the first time. Damn train ain't gonna get the best of me!

2-cents-300-bw.jpg

yeah, but if you upgrade to manual from auto can you leave them locked. if you know you might try something in 4wd, you could have just got out and locked them before even getting to the mud hole.

but the point is to try to do it the more difficult way (2WD) and still be able to get out if it doesn't work. I had no doubt that 4WD would work but where's the fun in that?

You still could have done it in 2wd if you locked the front hubs and left the shifter in 2WD. Then, if you got stuck, throw it in 4HI. You can use manual hubs like auto's if you just lock them before hitting the trail.

You still could have done it in 2wd if you locked the front hubs and left the shifter in 2WD.  Then, if you got stuck, throw it in 4HI.  You can use manual hubs like auto's if you just lock them before hitting the trail.

Key here is before the trail.

Try not to use manual locking hubs in the locked position on dry pavement, you will increase wear and fuel consumption.

However, manual hubs are supposed to reduce wear and fuel consumption on pavement compared to autos as long as they are disengaged.

Personally, I think having autos and the AllMode transfer case is as good as it gets. ;)

Do you even have hubs? I think the R50's came with fully engaged driveshafts. Unless, of course, you put on hubs yourself.

:bow: Of course you are correct, I do not have the traditional idea of hubs but could if I wish switch them out but for my use I see no advantage to that. Lots of people do though.

The advantage would be to stop the CV's from spinning all the time. It evidently gives you a slight increase in mileage, and decreases wear on the front drive components.

Agrees with simon.....IMO, with all things mechanical, any opportunity to reduce moving parts and maintain function is a no brainer.

Particularly helpful for those who have further stressed their front drive components with a lift.

I am definately intrigued by the Warn manual lockers. Reduces wear and tear, improves mpg, or leave em locked and shift on the fly, as if you had put on stock replacement. Operators choice. Sounds like the best of both to me.

That's exactly it.

As far as I know, Vengeful and Pezzy both have manual hubs on their R50's and have had no complaints.

I'm sure there are others, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

That's exactly it. 

As far as I know, Vengeful and Pezzy both have manual hubs on their R50's and have had no complaints. 

I'm sure there are others, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

and I watched from the warm dry comfort of my pathy (with auto hubs) as vengeful went out in the pouring cold rain to lock his hubs before we went out on the trails.

Edited by k9sar

Guest pathyman95

I love my aout locks becuase i am going to school at wyo tech in wyoming if you dont no it is very freakin cold and when its snowing you really dont want to get out of the heat to lock your hubs in when your crusin down the interstate and come to a roadblock of snow

Well, as I understand it, when manual hubs are engaged, the CV shafts turn, hence the front Diff and drive shaft ? Regardless, is causes wear when you are not using it.

My take is for the weekend warrior to leave the auto hubs and enjoy the convenience, while the serious trail driver installs manuals for the reliability/durability.

B