Gas Saving Tips

Trainman

Edmonds did a test of 4 popular gas saving tips.

Here is the article: Edmonds Article

In summary for the Land Rover (most applicable to us):

Cruise Control: 13.9 %

Light Foot: 35.4 %

No Air Conditioning: 1.6%

Proper tire pressure: 4.4% (2 PSI over inflated)

All are increases in mileage.

From my experience, the first two work wonders on my Pathy, getting me 25 MPG (imperial gallons) on the highway.

Anything that helps us get better mileage is good.

Thanks to CanadianDriver.com for the summary information (here Canadian Driver article).

I agree Trainman... Around here it is impossible to use cruise control due to the traffic and tremendous %age of idiots, but when I'm on the 'open road' I always use it. Light foot is #1 for me... Then of course driving as little as possible and avoiding traffic times/areas when possible are also big factors. Gas is just going to keep going up so it is best to start making habit/lifestyle changes now. Or buy a scooter. NEVER !! Small motorcycle...

B

A light foot is a good thing anymore. You can sit back and laugh at the guy rushing from light to light. On a side note, what are you guy's thoughts or the official line on 5th gear? I've been using it when I think of it as much as possible, including half of my commute when I'm cruising between 40-50mph on flat ground. There is no lugging and such, just a gentle cruise with the Flowmaster burbling along. But is there a problem rolling in 5th so slow? I haven't noted any negative effect, and I've been getting a solid 17+ mpg or so on surface streets and main roads without getting on the freeway AT ALL. So it works for my pocket book, but I don't want to stress or hurt anything. I'm sooo glad I didn't spring for the 32's or 33, and bought a 4 banger sipper for the lady. :aok:

I do the same Mike. One of the reason I like havin a manual, it's the choice. As long as I stay easy on her, 5th works just fine, as slow as 40mph. If I need a quick shot, a downshift to 4th is all I need.

:D At 40mph, more like a downshift to 3rd or, if you slow down some, 2nd. But that's just me. Its not like I don't have a thing for replacing parts...

The "no AC" thing applys well to local driving (low speed) but if you are on highway, it is believed that having your windows open puts significantly more drag on your already non-aerodynamic vehicle and will actually burn more fuel than if you had them closed with the AC on.

My money-saving tip... buy a siphon hose and a gun. It may get to that point.

Edited by k9sar

I read in Consumer Reports that it is better to roll up your windows after 40mph and turn on the AC, because from 40 to 50 mph you burn 10% more gas then you would with the AC on do to drag. It increases 10% for ever 10 miles you go over 40 mph. So you would probably laugh if you saw me, because once I get close to 45 or 50 mph the windows are up. It’s been relatively cool here so I just turn on the vent and leave the sunroof open. Doing this, plus letting my car coasting to red lights in neutral, light peddling, 5th gearing around 40 mph, and keeping under 2000rpms gets me anywhere from 21 to 25 mph in the city. And don’t forget good up keep. i.e. Checking the tire pressure, air filter, fuel filter, oil, etc. As far as selling it I don’t think so. It’s almost paid off and I rather buy gas then have a car note. Plus you only save about $500 to $600 (based on 10,000 miles a year) a year on fuel if you have a car that gets 30mpg as apposed to a car that gets 20mpg. I might look into getting a motorcycle, but that’s got its troubles to if you plan to driver it here in Memphis. Pay more for gas in my SUV, or ride a motorcycle and die? We will have to see how high gas gets.

well my rig is pretty cool on diesel, but even so i must have my ac. Barbados is hot!

No cruise control in my rig either...but barbados is so small it would not be any use anyway.

I had to drive my mom's car last week to find parts for the path.... the bloody thing drank a half tank in no time and it is a compact sedan.

Here is an inteerseting thought.... a gallon of gas is cheeper than a gallon og coca cola!

from 40 to 50 mph you burn 10% more gas then you would with the AC on do to drag. It increases 10% for ever 10 miles you go over 40 mph.

While yes, there is increased drag, I think that is a tremendous generalization. I would think windows down would make a much bigger difference with a small engine aerodynamic car than it would our 'rolling wall' Pathys. Just to hit the extreme, a buddy of mine has some huge old chevy with some rediculous V8. He gets 9 mpg... Up hill, down hill, empty, loaded, whatever. Thats just what it takes to keep his big block idling and producing 300 hp... :D I doubt that having the windows down makes any difference for him... :shrug:

B

well my rig is pretty cool on diesel, but even so i must have my ac. Barbados is hot!

No cruise control in my rig either...but barbados is so small it would not be any use anyway.

I had to drive my mom's car last week to find parts for the path.... the bloody thing drank a half tank in no time and it is a compact sedan.

Here is an inteerseting thought.... a gallon of gas is cheeper than a gallon og coca cola!

how much is the gas in barbados anyway?

I do the same Mike. One of the reason I like havin a manual, it's the choice. As long as I stay easy on her, 5th works just fine, as slow as 40mph. If I need a quick shot, a downshift to 4th is all I need.

yeah this works pretty well and i just may get 300mi from this tank.. woot! finally.. and that's before cleaning the map.. maybe tomorrow..