Does Anybody Know How To Fix This?

red-finder

My pathy has been having trouble starting. This happened last year during the summer, it seems to be worse when it is hot out. I had the starter replaced last year when it went out, but even with the new one this problem keeps coming up.

When you turn the key the dash lights up and there is a single click, but nothing happens. I have to turn it off and try again. Sometimes it takes 5 or 6 turns of the key then it starts right up. Its not the battery because the start isn't slow or weak. When this happened last year I thought it was the with the automatic shifter, and the truck wouldn't start because it thought it was in gear so I fixed that. It didn't help.

As the weather got cooler and through the winter It didn't happen, Now the problem is back.

Has anybody else had this problem or know what I could check? :unsure:

I have this problem too, It happens to me about 4-6 times a year. Ussually if I wait about 15 min it will startup. We took it to our mechanic and he couldn't figure it out because it always started when he was messing with it. It doesn't happen often but it is areal bummer if your trying to get somewhere on time. I feel your pain, wish I could help. :confused:

Been there done this one as well. I'm on my third starter. OEM worked for 12 years. First aftermarket worked for 1 month. Second aftermarker still working. You might have suspect repacement starter. My second aftermarket starter has not exhibited these symptoms (knock on wood). I have felt your pain. You might also check the little rubber-booted electrical connection at the starter (my '91s is red or orangeish colored). If that's loose it might ellicit the same symptoms. Good luck to ya.

Mike

this is gonna sound stupid but when ever that happens to me (not starting on first try) I turn the key around. I am not sure if it solves the prob but it works every time it never take me more than two times. keeps my friend from driving my pathy. how ever i do beleive i will be replacing the starter soon although that looks like a pia

:beer:

replacing the starter is really easy on a manual, not sure if the auto is different

On an auto it can me a PITA since the AT fluid tubes that go to the cooler run through that area and cut down on the space a little.

Getting the old one unbolted is fairly easy. It's the maze you need to follow/figure out that allows you to get the dang thing out of the truck that is the interesting part. Good luck.

post 921

My brother had this problem on a car he once had. Not a permanent fix but if you get stuck and don't want to wait around just pour some water on the starter motor, worked a treat every time. Don't worry about the electricity. Its not a closed circuit until you turn the key.

I have heard of this on some other Pathfinders. GrimGreg I knew I had seen a post on some kind of fix with a relay. That sounds like what my problem could be. I'll try it and see how it goes. I don't want to replace the starter if I can help it.

Thanks for the help.

I have not been able to get the relay wired in to fix this yet, but I had to post what happened yesterday.

My truck had this same problem twice yesterday so I tried dfather99's trick of turning the key over and it started first time on both tries. That is wierd. I don't know how it works, but it does! :cool2:

• 2 weeks later...