Thinking about getting a Rover

97SE

I'm seriuosly considering ditching the Pathy for Rover (ouch)...maybe a 99-01 Discovery or Range Rover. I know mechanically speaking I'm downgrading, but off-road is a definite upgrade. I love the supple suspension on them...the're like butter off-road. Anyone have any thoughts?

Also, perhaps a suspension upgrade is need on my Pathy...maybe a set of Bilstein or Ranchos shocks, different springs, etc.? Anyone ever put in a self-leveling system w/ air adjusters on their Pathy?

Edited by 97SE

I dont know much about the rovers, I know you can pick up an older one pretty cheap, but be prepared for pricey fixes... I hear parts & labour for rovers are craaaaaaaaaaaaazy!

The working-on-it part doesn't bother too much...it's the $1000-for-any-part-no-matter-what-it-is part that I'm not crazy about. But it's always been the truck I've wanted so eventually I'll get one, just not sure if now is the time...I hope to get 200K+ miles out of my Pathy so we'll see.

I like the look of the new ones allot better then the older ones I think they are more sleek looking instead of the high square box.

About 2 years I seen a program with the discovery against the H1 and the discovery did everything the H1 did except for 1 approach angle. They could not do straight on.

They beat both trucks over this miliatry terrain and the drive inside the Discovery was much better less of being shaken around so less fatigue in the Discovery.

The Discoveryu they used had an Air lift Suspension (factory) and it crossed the same water crossing!

It was amazing after watching that program I had allot more respect for those SUV's. :clap:

:beer:

The Discoveryu they used had an Air lift Suspension (factory)

Yep, that's why I'm wondering if anyone ever put in a self-leveling system w/ air adjusters on their Pathy?

these guys have a great site that will walk you thru rover restos, for better or worse.

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/tableDisco.html

I have some Land Rover experience - they are very capable trucks (solid axles, lockers) but dang expensive to maintain.

The Rovers have several weak links, just like any truck on the market. They are a bit overhyped with 'mystique' as the world's best 4x4. But there is a ton of support for them, both in aftermarket parts and a fanatical rover community, which is fun. With a Pathy, we have maybe 2 choices for an upgrade (if that!), where a Rover has about 10. You'll need quite a bit of 'play cash' to build a nice rover.

I love reading the projects the guys at East Coast Rovers do - but you'll notice a 'price is no option' undercurrent. Like "The first thing we do is take out the factory motor and put in a fresh 300Tdi" ECR does build some of the best Rovers possible, and those completed projects are awesome rides. But a stock Disco is full of weaknesses.

I believe a well built Pathfinder, like Dean Thayer (XPLORx4) or Kieth Maddox (System F) have built, will hold thier own against a regular Land Rover Discovery for considerably less $$ and effort.

But, if I had $50 large to drop on a serious 4x4 (not H2 junk) the Rover's that ECR build are definatley high on my list as ultimate rides....

Just my opinion....

Run from the Rover! The Disco's aren't too special offroad, have some bells and whistles like hill decent and stuff in the newer ones. They can hold their own on many trails and sloppy conditions but they have major downside. You get leather and a pretty nice interior, but you trade that for horrible gas mileage, extreme repair bills, and little for aftermarket. I've got a friend with I think an '01, and they're always having trouble with it, it seems. We went wheeling/camping and they hit a hole a little hard, smacking the bumper. Except, we're not talking about a bumper, but more of a car-like lower air darn. Something like $1000+ for new parts, a NEW RADIATOR, and they were good to go. Mind you, this wasn't any big hole, as I was at stock height at the time and didn't even think about it, and in the rear of the group was a 2 wheel drive mid-80's P.O.S. Ford Ranger absolutely stock with bald tires. Walk away, walk away fast...

Man that Discovery Project truck is bad!

I've always wanted a rover too. I had a friend who had one. They are solid vehicles and are known for their offroad capabilities, but I have always been scared of the repair bills.

You can pick up a used Discovery for cheap, but I always figured parts for them would be expensive. I guess you have to decide how bad you want one.

yeah, the oldies are rugged... but parts availability is difficult, and essentailly you're driving an enclosed tractor with zero creature comforts. The Defender 90 is the modern day equivalent, with modern mechanicals. But seriously overpriced... even moreso now that they stopped importing them.

Uni-mog anyone?

m.

D90s are the best offroad Vehicle ever!

I do love my Pathy, but for offroad, D90s are wehre its at

I agree, one parked next to me when I had my Jeep and its amazing how much bigger the D90 is compared to a YJ. Like I say though, until I can have a D90 and a 4-door Rover, I think I'll have to wait. The D110 is an option, but a very expensive one.