02_Pathy's build/shenanigans thread

02_Pathy

Alright so after 3 years and 55,000 miles later I decided to make a build thread of what I have done to my rig. Coming very soon (hopefully if the weather doesn't derail my plans) I should be adding and modifying my rig more and more. Since a lot has happened I'm just gonna do a real quick run through to what I have done with my truck. So to start off I got the truck my senior year of high school with 117K miles and was extremely clean. The next "mod" on the list was to murder it all black with tinted windows and plastidipping the rims black. Next thing I add was a brush guard but left the headlight wraps off just in case someone hit them in a parking lot for example and causing damage to the fenders if they were bent from the collision causing more damage. The next big thing I did was installing the OME coils, HD front and MD rear with Gabriel struts (they were on sale for a 100 bucks and I was broke but they still work lol). One week later I got my Bilstein 5125 shocks installed and the rig really remained the same for awhile. After awhile I was getting tired of the look of my rig and I wanted to make it look more unique. I put fluery's 1 inch spacer front and rear as the OME coils started to sag after lots of miles of trails and forest roads. I installed the Rola Rack with extension and attached it via electrical conduit clamps. Next I removed the brush guard because I saw it as a damage multiplier, killed my approach angle and took my tow hooks away, I then retrofitted the 30" lightbar in the bumper to make it more discreet and also it doesn't emit a whole lot of glare back to me. Next move was uping the tire size to a "32" with wheel spacers to clear the lower strut perch and give it some stance. I did the '00 grill mod with amber lights and added clear corners to make it more unique and lastly I added a side awning that I got on black Friday. Also worth noting, the worst thing I have ever experienced with this rig was replacing the coolant crossover pipe gasket on the back of the head between the firewall. It is almost impossible to get at with the little room you have in there. I luckily was able to achieve this feat probably because I have small hands and I literally crammed them in there as I wanted the leak gone and had everything off down to the block besides the heads. I'll post some pics about that mess later on. Like I said, lots of things happened to this rig so I'm just playing catch up on this thread so sorry for the scattered things.

Here are some links of write ups I have done to the rig

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/44486-aux-backup-lights-frenched-in-rear-bumper/?tab=comments#comment-802193

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/44487-rola-rack-and-mounts/?tab=comments#comment-802218

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/44516-light-bar-and-raptor4runner-running-lights/

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Edited by 02_Pathy
  • Like 5

Here's some photos of the rig's transformation from when I got her to the police cruiser stage, then to a good trail rig to the present day8ddff310d636eec2d5303b667a400f6c.jpg145526d2a2d64e62d6536a517eb9fdcf.jpg9cca686ba9c007f473bc2e789b912f32.jpg4b6fe9092268e814f50c22d54dbff8bb.jpgf7aabe632444be1181dc5686327059d3.jpg1720f0fc3dcbfc317958d60b06e9fa15.jpgf113e463265491c16cc66d5a89f7c5fb.jpg1d2f26b5f1e76b40b498750812c40c4e.jpg33a890c7360220440df16c254887cd18.jpg

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, mjotrainbrain said:

This thread has been a long time coming!  Can't wait to see what you've got "coming very soon".

I have some parts that are sitting in my room and garage, the one that's coming very soon should be happening this weekend if I don't get snowed in lol. 

• Like 3

After 10.5 hours of stress I finally got the poly bushings in the LCA and installed new OEM ball joints. This was a really super slow project as the time consuming part was getting the old bushings out of the LCA and putting the new ones in. Also the ball joint was putting up a fight as well so with the help of a pickle fork and jack it came out nicely as well. I'm going on a road trip late next month so I thought now is the time to replace old worn components and dont have anything fail on me. I just gotta order a couple more things and it should be good to go.306b9d1a582d6c050e9810ead2ea48f2.jpg86b7896d0ddd27ca4868bd1e0883c6b0.jpgc851dd7f837e5f957121a62812f6889e.jpge644e50c4de152218570173ad6360bca.jpgc8206aa3637e870c8949ab6dc57c1da2.jpg7a760414fffb96e304d4d47766034da9.jpg

• Like 4

Those ball joints man... mine were an absolute PIA to get out
Yeah I had to jack the knuckle up and wail on the pickle fork for it to pop out of the knuckle

How big of a pain is it to get that rear control arm bushings off that goes where the missing link bolts? 
Not as bad as the front, I just used a big screw driver and pryed at it at first, then I just wacked it with a hammer and it slowly walked it self off. I would recommend using a 2 jaw puller though, would've been a lot faster

Mine were too, not fun.  Mine were trashed though, so worth the difficulty!

[mention=39493]02_Pathy[/mention] how does it feel with the poly bushings?
Feels tighter and the ride is a bit stiffer it seems as I just went around the block. Also NVH is more as well as the rubber absorbed most of that but also my rig desperately needs an alignment so that probably played a huge factor in the NVH.

Also here's the link that helped me greatly for the poly bushing install, great write up from Australia. One thing that I did differ from this was that I torqued all the LCA bolts when the tires were back on and the full weight of the vehicle, this made sure that the bushings were in the proper position and not stressed when torqued when the LCA's were at full droop

http://pcoa.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7740

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 02_Pathy said:

Not as bad as the front, I just used a big screw driver and pryed at it at first, then I just wacked it with a hammer and it slowly walked it self off. I would recommend using a 2 jaw puller though, would've been a lot faster

How long would you say it took you to get them off? That whole end pice comes off then? Is it all rubber or is there any metal on it that needs cut? My front bushings arent terrible yet and i dont really want to mess with drilling them and everything right now....but the rear bushings are destroyed. Where did you pick up the poly bushings from?

1 hour ago, Sjackson2 said:

How long would you say it took you to get them off? That whole end pice comes off then? Is it all rubber or is there any metal on it that needs cut? My front bushings arent terrible yet and i dont really want to mess with drilling them and everything right now....but the rear bushings are destroyed. Where did you pick up the poly bushings from?

To be honest I think the rear bushings took about 20 minutes on one side and 35 on the other. The whole bushing is rubber and it comes off in one unit so there's no need to cut. Since its rubber and they've been on for awhile the rubber is really grippy on the shaft on the LCA so it takes awhile for it to come off unless you have a 2 jaw puller. Putting the new rear bushings on probably took about 30 seconds. I got the poly bushings from 4x4parts.

https://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981476-pathfinder-front-lower-control-arm-front-bushings.html

https://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981483-pathfinder-front-lower-control-arm-rear-bushings.html

• Like 1

Got my new coils today straight from England, these things got here fast! They shipped yesterday and got here this morning. These are the LR 9449 coils, I'll post before and after measurements although I'm not sure if I'll be able to install these today but probably tomorrow

852c6037a8c8c91e229df77d9629fd42.jpg

• Like 5

Im assuming you’re going to install them and not add any spacers?
Yeah that's the plan, if I add the 1 inch spacers then I would definitely need to drop my PH bar down with a bracket. I'm just adding these coils for a 2 week long road trip I'm taking and need the extra load capacity so I don't sag with all the gear in the back

• Like 1