what is this

i hadnt knoticed this till today when i took my front tires off to take off my rotting mudflaps, comin out of the engine compartment, there was a block with 3 cut wires heading what look liked towards the brakes/shocks on the front passenger side. i was tryin to figure out what it was, it's just cut right at the block. i checked the other side, and the connection for the 3 wires is also present and cut.. everythin works fine, not sure what it is.. was like that from previous owner i guess

Set8_01.jpg

Set8_02.jpg

Set9_02.jpg

some pathys had a switch on the console that says "sport/cruise" or something like that. it was for electronically adjustable shocks. mine doesn;t have it, but since you have that at both shocks, I'd guess yours did, but when the shocks were replaced, the wire was cut.

the system wqas pretty useless from what ive heard

aight, thx guys, i figured it had to be somethin like that, but i wasn't quit sure, cause i thought the ajustable suspension was still working, (there was no difference in ride suspension, but it does burn a heck of alot more gas when it's on sport for some reason)... thx

"there was no difference in ride suspension, but it does burn a heck of alot more gas when it's on sport for some reason)... thx"

?????????????

That's odd!!!!!

"there was no difference in ride suspension, but it does burn a heck of alot more gas when it's on sport for some reason)... thx"

?????????????

That's odd!!!!!

Sport tranny switch maybe? DO Pathy's even have those, other than the towing option switch? My shock swith says something like "Comfort/ Performance".

my 93 says sport/touring, but when I replaced my shocks thats what I ended up doin, cut those guys off on the shock end cuz i couldn't for the life of me figure out how the dam things un-latched

"Sport/Touring" as well on my '91 SE and yes I could tell the difference between settings even with 140k+ miles on them. I wacked my connectors off in the same spot for the same reason as HP when I finally got around to changing mine.

Mike

mine is a 93 and has the sport/touring switch, and for some reason, YES, it burns noticably more gas with the switch on sport, even if my wires are cut, why, i dont know, my mech figures that it's a huge electrical component that must control them, which would need more power from the alternator, not too sure bout that, but i'm runnin a 600 watt rms amp blasting all the time with no difference.. hmm...

?????????????

That's odd!!!!!

Sport tranny switch maybe? DO Pathy's even have those, other than the towing option switch? My shock swith says something like "Comfort/ Performance".

Seems to me that you may have a "combo" touring/sport switch... Like maybe it adjusts the stock shocks while altering the shift pattern of the tranny... Mine only has the switch for the tranny adjustment...

A good way to tell if that's the kind of switch you have is to push the gas pedal almost to the floor but not all the way... Watch the RPMs to see when it shifts... Now flip the switch the other way, slow down and smash the gas to the same position just above flooring it. If it's in the "sport" tranny mode it should go just about to the redline before shift into the next gear, touring should shift out at a more civilized RPM...

The reason you want to do this lil experiment without pushing the gas all the way to the floor is; because the pathy's that do have the adjusting sport setting on the tranny also have a "micro switch" at the gas pedel to "sense" when you're flooring it... That way you can have full power without having to remember to reach down and flip the switch.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong... I'm grasping at straws here... :D

the 93 (if not other years) has a switch on the dash E-Auto (Ithink) that switches fronm normal to power mode (change gears at higher RPM)

Ialso have the sport/touring switch and I could never tell that it changed anything in either mode

Edited by headpeace

Just a thought... I've never heard of a vehical using noticably more gas because of more electrical draw on the alternator... I have a friend who has 3 alternators in his caddy... and like 8-12 batteries... Running his car, sound system, and hydraulics... I've never hear him complain about the alternators making the car use a lot of gas...

I have however rode in that ruff riding POS (back breaker) and heard myself complain about the ride... :D

Just a thought... I've never heard of a vehical using noticably more gas because of more electrical draw on the alternator...

His shock connectors aren't even hooked up, No current draw there.

Denis

mine is located on the center console on the driver side of the e-brake. on passenger side is switch for fog lights... I removed those cus i kept hitting them while exploring. I put some aftermarket ones on and tried to wire them to the same switch but they didnt work. Im gonna get one of those switchboards from an old schoolbus and wire my light up to it. I will eventually be able to use the whole board. not sure what yet??!?!?!?!

mines a 93, i have the sport/touring switch which is for the suspension, no it doesnt do anythin to my tranny, i also have the E-auto/power switch that changes the tranny shift pattern, all i'm saying is that when it's on sport suspension, it seems to use more gas... i just leave it on touring all the time... i did have ajustable shocks.. not anymore, and yes, all the wires are cut. i've never heard of burning more gas cause of electrical draw either, but i do know that it burns more gas if say you were running your air conditioner, cause it's just more load on the engine, like when you put your rear defog on, and at idle, it idles lower.. or say your truck is idling and you turn the steering wheel.. cause the power steering pump is taking power from the engine... hence the only reason i see it burning more gas, even if it's not connnected