mountian biking

blackpath94

I ride in the summer over in Idaho, Sun Vally.

I got a Jamis Durango with the crank bros clips and the fire XC tires, not the best by far, but its all I need for my skill level and the terrian of mt baldy.

Need to start training agian.

.02 from a has-been... I used to be hard core mountain biker when they were first invented, back in the Richie, Cunningham, and Mt Tam days in the '80's. I had a Bianchi 18 speed when I was 15. Somehow I let life distract me... in a bad way. Now at 35, I have just quit smoking and am eager to get back into riding. I was looking at hard tails (because I prefer them) and gravitated towards a Trek, 4800 or 6700, I cant remember right now. Anyway, within a few months I'll be getting a nice new bike and discovering just how soft and weak I have allowed myself to get. :P

Bernard

Yep, that's what I spend most of my spare time doing. I'm on the CSU cycling team, its been a blast. I currently ride a Trek 4600 (mostly stock), a Specialized P.2 (beefed up for dirt jumping duties), and I'm hopefully buying an Intense M1 for downhill racing in the upcoming season. ;)

I rode alot in New Mexico when I lived there. Had to replace my tubes with dense foam inserts since the cactus out there would eat yuour tires at least twice per ride. There's also nothing like barrelling down a rocky path and hitting a nice soft sand filled arroyo to give you some sick air (without the bike, of course). You just pray that there's nothing that'll kill you in your landing zone. Spent many an evening pulling spines out of my knees and elbows.

I'm moving to Colorado and I'm probabaly a novice mt biker. I just sold my hardtail GT and bought a Yeti ASR-SL. I'll be riding a lot once I get to CO- that and I take my dog on walks/hikes. Any spare time will find me ragting and taking up Fly Fishing.

I bought a Cannondale F500 (hardtail) used at the start of the winter, just barely started riding it to work to get used to it. Hope to take it up into the Boise Foothills for some trails soon.

Might as well since all my snow has melted *sniff*

Nice to see lots of riders here. My gf and I both ride lots of gnarly trails. I have an Ellsworth ID with a Marzocchi monster T which I love and she rides a Kona Stinky. that has the junior T. P...P...

Monster T huh? Thats a dang beefy fork B) . Zokes are sweet though, I have a DJ3 on my P.2, and i'm planning on getting a super t to throw on the incoming (hopefully soon) DH bike. Colorado riders: where are you guys located/planning on moving to? There is certainly some sweet riding to be found all over the state, my favorite ride so far was the Rage in the Sage race at the Hartman Rocks in Gunnison :D

yea im on a hardtil too. way more fun that a fully. i had a super t for a while, i cracked the arch, so now its sitting in my bedroom...lol, it is an 02 and i dunno how it cracked, i didnt do any huge drops orany thing, i think 7 or 8 feet is the biggest i hit.

so i bought a manitou slider to repalce it and i havent looked back, excpet when we went to a skate park the other day. the dual crown kinda limited what i could do.

so im saving up and im buying a manitou sherman jumper to swap out when we go to do djs and street stuff, then put the slider back on for trails and dh.

haha monster ts are huge, too big IMO for anything other than big drops or dh....well now the 888 would be the dh fork.

my buddy just got an intense m1, its the sweetest bike ive every seen, so incredably plush.

heres my setup for anyone wondering....

frame - trek brusier 1(2002)

fork - manitou sherman slider plus(170mm)...and soon a sherman jumper(110mm)

cranks - raceface diablous

bar/stem - raceface diablous

headset - fsa pig dh pro

brakes - avid mechs 8in(fr)6in(rr)

rear derallier - shimano xt

seat - wtb power v(diablo freeride park custom) got it for free when i split my head open....

rear wheel- intesne mag 30 on shimono xt hub

fornt sun mammoth on a marzocchi 20mm hub

some magnesium wellgo pedal

kenda blue groove/nevagal - best tires i have used to date,

and some lock ons ruffians for grips

Edited by blackpath94

I'm in Denver. I'm not set up for DH, so I like the foothill singletracks around the front range. I learned to ride on the nice fast, packed dirt singletracks in the midwest. I used to do a lot of "urban" riding. Never really got into full suspension. I found a trials bike that I'm thinking about getting soon. Gunnison would be a sweet place.

I just sold my Cannondale hardtail on Ebay not 3 weeks ago. I bought it when I was 13 and rode it quite often. But when I started driving and I got the Pathfinder I completely lost interest in it. It had been sitting for a year before I decided to sell it. I actually made money off it... Lucky Me! :D

Yes I do, and I'm a certifiable weight weenie also! I road bike a good bit, but I like mtn biking a whole lot more. I don't ride as much as I used to, so i'm parting out one of my bikes (anyone need a frame? wheels? etc?) , but i'm keeping my hardtail. I've done so much work to this bike, and I love it! I've done everything from building up ultralight wheels to dremelling my rear derailleur. Anyway, there are some great places to ride within a half hours drive from my house, but I love to go up to Pisgah, Dupont, or Tsali whenever time permits. Mmm... biking... fun...

my ride

Edited by Gorilla Man

I recently moved, and changed my round trip work commute from 40 miles down to about 3. Been riding my bike to work every day since, definatly getting in better shape!

Best yet now I can sell my 99 VW, get rid of the car/ins payment and just keep the pathy for my weekend desert/camping escapades, and heaven forbid a drive to the grocery store every now and then :)

Just have to make sure the pathy is up to the challenge of being a sole vehicle.

Btw, any advice for derailuers that seem to shift on their own? I'm going to try and clean them/check the cabeling this weekend, but thought I'd ask.