Sub setup

96pfinderSE

Im in the market of buying a sub and amp. I had 2 memphis 12s and a memphis amp but i just sold them (regret it but needed the money). Im thinkin about goin with memphis again cause there subs sound awesome. I just wanted to see or hear about what people are runnin and how they like it. Im on a pretty tight budget so dont make me jealous by talkin about a W7 or anything (my buddy has one and im jealous enough as it is). So if you could just tell me what you got and about how much its worth i would appreciate it.

<Justin>

PS. im lookin for good loud bass but clear. in a 12 or 2 10s

I run either one rockford fosgate 12 or two rockford fosgate 10's depending on the situation.. The 10s are really only in there in the summer as they take up too much room to come to school with. With the open cargo area you dont need much to keep it loud and clear.

I run 2 Sony Xplod 700watt 10's with an 1000 watt Alpine V12 with a Phoenix Gold PowerFlow 1 farad cap. Bass on a budget, and it gets to business. Used to have a single 12" Fosgate HX2 DVC, but that's in our other car now.

I run 2 Digital Audio 10"s Bandpass with a Digital Audio 600W 4 channel amp bridged. They sound awesome.

Oh ya they cost me about $500 for everything(its nice to know people that own their own shop) worth probly $650.

post-1-1110854197.jpg

Edited by Airrun2002

I run 2 Sony Xplod 700watt 10's with an 1000 watt Alpine V12 with a Phoenix Gold PowerFlow 1 farad cap. Bass on a budget, and it gets to business. Used to have a single 12" Fosgate HX2 DVC, but that's in our other car now.

How much was that amp? (if you dont mind sharin)

I'm running 2 MTX 6000DVC 12's with a Fossgate Punch 100 mono amp and a 1 farad digital cap and a Clarion DSP EQ. They rock and RUMBLE! My friend has 2 12" JL w6's and he told me that these hit harder than his. B)

354764_3_full.jpg

354764_4_full.jpg

I got a $15 bass tube from walmart hooked up to an Alpine 600 watt amp. I could win bass contest with that thing... :P I could probly blow out the back glass if I wasn't careful... :takebow:

Not really tho... but my walmart bass tube does hit pretty clean and deep... It was gonna be a temp sub till I could afford something of quality... But it's good enough for me for now...

I used to have some bazooka bass tubes but they were only 6.5"s...cause I had them stuffed behind the bench seat of a single cab ranger. Subs in a box will always hit harder than tubes plain and simple. Gotta get 2 12's!

One Audiobahn AWXS150 15" sub in a 4" ported bass tube right behind the back seats run by a Legacy "1000W" amp(yeah right, I had it tested out at about 690 watts total). I also stuck a spare crap-as$ 10" Rockford Punch woofer in there in an $8 box I got from Schucks. Hey, it works and they're not too heavy, entirely removeable just in case. :)

A single Sony Xplod 10" in a .7 ft3 box powered by a 13 year old PPI 2025 amp left over from a previous over the top system. Only 100 watts in bridged mode, but loud enough to preclude talking and give a nice back massage. Loud enough for this old audiophile....

Shockingly effective sub setup for under $100! The box is contoured to fit over the right rear fender well, snugs up to the rear of the seat, and is only 7" wide - about 1" wider than the fender bulge. So I lost very little space. And it comes out be unscrewing two knobs.

Although the garishly trendy 5 sided design is useless and ugly, the latest Sony's do appear to be an exceptional value. Rubber surround, beefy construction. Very tight and accurate sounding enough to impress me.

My old 240SX had about $5000 worth of high end hardware with Stillwater subs, and it didn't sound any better. A bit louder, but the subs weighed at least 3 times as much and took up 5 times as much space...

I don't have anything in the pathy just yet, I have two MTX 10's sitting by though, still waiting for an amp. I do have a Pioneer Cassette deck hooked up to a Pioneer 6disk changer though.

In my VW I have one Sony Xplod 12" powered by a 700 watt sony amp, connected to a sony head unit :-) Still need to add a 1 farad cap though, just to stop my lights from dimming when the bass hits.

I have one on the other side as well, they body panels are fiberglassed inside to seal. I have about 600 watts going to both. these are Resonant Engineering 8" subs, they can handle about 600 each.

post-1-1111174194.jpg

I've got a 12" Pioneer sub in a sealed box that sounds a lot like the one mws built driven by a 600w RF amp. It hits pretty well for what it is, but definately no competition winner. I used to have two 12" Pioneers in a bandpass driven by some monster MTX amp (I can't remember the wattage, I bought a bunch of stuff from a guy who was getting his car repossessed). That setup would make your teeth vibrate until the neighborhood thugs decided they deserved it more than I did. Da bastids.

Runnin 2x12's (see link) http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/slick90jeep/...62f.jpg&.src=ph

and 2 solid audio amps (1 @ 800 & 1 @ 1000)

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/slick90jeep/...b81.jpg&.src=ph

I have an Earthquake EQ.. 2 6x9's...2 4x6's....Kendwood deck with 6 cd changer..bumps like crazy.... sounds AWESOME.. and I paid $500 for everything...

the amps and speakers were brand new and installed.. and the rest from a friends Gran Am that he sold. -bounce-

the Earthquake is hidden in the glove box..hehehe

I just updated my sounds last night... My cousins Alpine got stolen out of his CRX. So he gave/let me barrow his 12" JL Audio... I hooked it up to the 500w Kenwood amp he gave me earlier. Beats the stock clarion amps hooked up to the $15 roadmaster wal-mart speaker by far... :cool2:

Im running 1 12" rockford T1 with my 1000 watt Precision Power amp and 1 Monster capacitator. before i had my T1, i had 2 15" rockford subs. they took up the whole back carog area and were just too impractical. everyone thinks that the 12 i have now hits harder than my 2 15"s did.

Im running 1 12" rockford T1 with my 1000 watt Precision Power amp and 1 Monster capacitator. before i had my T1, i had 2 15" rockford subs. they took up the whole back carog area and were just too impractical. everyone thinks that the 12 i have now hits harder than my 2 15"s did.

What is the capacitator actually used for??? I've seen them in stores but never quite got it. :huh:

Im running 1 12" rockford T1 with my 1000 watt Precision Power amp and 1 Monster capacitator.  before i had my T1, i had 2 15" rockford subs. they took up the whole back carog area and were just too impractical. everyone thinks that the 12 i have now hits harder than my 2 15"s did.

What is the capacitator actually used for??? I've seen them in stores but never quite got it. :huh:

Its kinda like a mini-battery. It stores a charge between bass hits and such, so that when the amp pulls a bunch of power at once, you don't stress the rest of your charging system as much. Pretty much, it helps with safer power draw and more stable power for the rest of your accessories. Here's my sub box with the Sony's, and the recently installed Phoenix Gold cap. Yes, I need to clean up the wiring eventually.

post-1-1111727466.jpg