Seatbelt not retracting good

colinnwn

My driver's seatbelt is getting to where it barely retracts, and I have to push it back up if I want it to go in. Has anyone else had this happen? Do you just have to replace the seatbelt and reel module? How hard was that to do, as far as getting trim off without breaking things?

Thanks.

This is VERY common issue. Most people just live with it. I've come to accept it as part of her personality. It's all about compromise in a successful relationship. But if this above post is true, then this compromise might come to an end :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by CDN_S4
  • Like 1

From what I understand from some of those NICO threads is that the automatic seatbelts, like those found some 240SX, have a lifetime warranty.

Nissan provides sample warranty booklets at their website (https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/navigation/warrantyContent), and possibly more specific booklets for your vehicle if you've registered through their portal. From those, they indicate a 10-year warranty for seat belts.

Any time I've had to remove the tensioner assembly (a couple times actually in different vechicles), it was bolted down pretty well. I don't recall any security Torx bolts like used on other SRS components. Obviously, proceed cautiously is attempting to maintain it yourself.

This comes up a few times a year. I actually keep this information in Evernote so that it will be easily available if I ever have to use it.

There's more information in this thread: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/27747-anyone-know-a-way-to-fix-seatbelts-so-they-retract/?hl=seatbelt&do=findComment&comment=519410

Per Alkorahil, our resident Nissan Parts Guru:

All seat belts from Nissan after 1989 have a lifetime limited transferable warranty against defects on the pretensioners and buckle. (it does not cover them not working after a collision, your dog eating them or cutting them with scissors, etc). This warranty is mentioned in the back of the owners manual in the last section.

Many service advisors at a dealership will not know or be aware that it is covered going back that far. Do lot let them tell you it is not covered, sometimes you have to stand your ground. Make them punch your VIN in the computer system or call their warranty administrator. If they still give you flack call Nissan Consumer Relations at 1-800-NISSAN1

The dealer will also probably not stock this part. It will take them on average 2-3 days to order the part and get it from the warehouse.

I have had mine done twice under the warranty (on two different vehicles) Both times the kits replaced the pretensioners and the buckles.

In short, it is free parts and labor.

If your local dealer is giving you problems on seat belt replacement under warranty give them this information including the Op Codes, this is straight from Nissan.

WARRANTY COVERAGE
PLAN SB
Seat Belts - Useful life of the vehicle for 1989-2002 vehicles, 10 years for 2003 up vehicles.
OpCode VK22AA Replace Front Seat Belt Tounge Assembly - One side
OpCode VK213AA Replace Front Seat Belt Tounge Assembly - Both Sides

If you take your vehicle to get seat belts done, and they say it is not covered, tell your Service Advisor to contact their Warranty Administrator and give this information, if they do not cooperate call 1-800-NISSAN1.

• Like 1

A lot of these belt assembly have been discontinued. I've tried to replace mine on my 90 and no parts available. Even though they are lifetime warranty Nissan does state that the warranty is for the useful life of the vehicle. Basically I was told that my pathfinder exceeded it's useful life. I will say check the d-ring of the belt at the B pillar for built-up smeg, if there is crap built up clean It off and that may help.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mine initially stopped working because of friction in that stupid slot that the belt runs through before coming across your shoulder. If I pulled the belt only from the retract mechanism, it would retract just fine. Solved the problem with some 2000 grit sandpaper running through the belt slot to remove the years of yuk that was built-up

• Like 1

Mine initially stopped working because of friction in that stupid slot that the belt runs through before coming across your shoulder. If I pulled the belt only from the retract mechanism, it would retract just fine. Solved the problem with some 2000 grit sandpaper running through the belt slot to remove the years of yuk that was built-up

Yep, that's the d-ring. Really common.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This must be one of those lifetime warranties that is only good for the life of the failed part! :/ Kind of like a good old fashioned taillight guarantee, it's guaranteed to work until they can't see your taillights anymore! Lol

• 3 months later...

My driver's seatbelt is getting to where it barely retracts, and I have to push it back up if I want it to go in. Has anyone else had this happen? Do you just have to replace the seatbelt and reel module? How hard was that to do, as far as getting trim off without breaking things?

Thanks.

I've had this prolm too - I took out the retracter mech between the back doors at the floor - spooled out all of the seat belt - removed the pin from the end of the seat belt, then rewound it. ( as per one of our members suggested) and it seemed to work for a while) but it's back to being a pain in a**. I just had it out again to rewind it more but it's maxed out. So I cleaned the upper plastic belt / loop thing ( near your shoulder when sitting) & the lower plastic pc where the belt enters the retractor mech - then sprayed the entire belt with silicone spray - a LOT of silicone spray. It's never worked better. It retracts very quickly now! I'm gonna do the passenger side now too.

I hope this may help U guys out there. Cheers!

• Like 1

Somehow I wasn't getting notifications about these posts. The silicone spray you used was it dry or wet. Did it make your truck smell like a refinery?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The can reads :

3 in 1 Professional Silicone Lubricant

High Performance Lubrication

Safe on metal, rubber, Wood and Vinyl

Quick Drying, No mess Formula

http://www.3inone.com/professional

It's the Yellow and Black can

I guess it's wet cause I wiped the runs off of the Vinyl cover when I was dun.

truck doesn't stink no...and the belt returns better than ever.

I WAS surprised when I cleaned the belt "hook" shoulder thing tho..It didn't look dirty but when I cleaned it anyway with a white rag it was WAAAY dirty.

Kinda hard to get at the back of it - U'll figure out sumpthin'

Gud Luk.

• 1 year later...

I mostly fixed mine by just spraying and wiping down the belt. It was getting stiff. I used PB Blaster brand wet silicone lubricant. http://blastercorp.com/Silicone-Lube I tested the dry stuff, and it leaves a messy white residue when dry. The PB Blaster did leave a heavy petroleum smell that made me nauseous while driving for about a week.

• 3 years later...
On 8/31/2015 at 6:50 AM, xterra said:

This comes up a few times a year. I actually keep this information in Evernote so that it will be easily available if I ever have to use it.

There's more information in this thread: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/27747-anyone-know-a-way-to-fix-seatbelts-so-they-retract/?hl=seatbelt&do=findComment&comment=519410

Per Alkorahil, our resident Nissan Parts Guru:

All seat belts from Nissan after 1989 have a lifetime limited transferable warranty against defects on the pretensioners and buckle. (it does not cover them not working after a collision, your dog eating them or cutting them with scissors, etc). This warranty is mentioned in the back of the owners manual in the last section.

Many service advisors at a dealership will not know or be aware that it is covered going back that far. Do lot let them tell you it is not covered, sometimes you have to stand your ground. Make them punch your VIN in the computer system or call their warranty administrator. If they still give you flack call Nissan Consumer Relations at 1-800-NISSAN1

The dealer will also probably not stock this part. It will take them on average 2-3 days to order the part and get it from the warehouse.

I have had mine done twice under the warranty (on two different vehicles) Both times the kits replaced the pretensioners and the buckles.

In short, it is free parts and labor.

If your local dealer is giving you problems on seat belt replacement under warranty give them this information including the Op Codes, this is straight from Nissan.

WARRANTY COVERAGE
PLAN SB
Seat Belts - Useful life of the vehicle for 1989-2002 vehicles, 10 years for 2003 up vehicles.
OpCode VK22AA Replace Front Seat Belt Tounge Assembly - One side
OpCode VK213AA Replace Front Seat Belt Tounge Assembly - Both Sides

If you take your vehicle to get seat belts done, and they say it is not covered, tell your Service Advisor to contact their Warranty Administrator and give this information, if they do not cooperate call 1-800-NISSAN1.

Tanks, man;  that helped a lot. I dropped my 2001 R50 at Nissan and the dealer confirmed today that the seatbelts are covered.