$60 Snorkel

mtnnate

DANG! thats looks good man. Now if someone would only have the balls to try and do it to a R50

we have a member in the Xterra club with one on his X... we like to call it the ghetto snorkel. :)

Only for the VG30E 90-95 crowd...VG30i's in the 87-89's have a circular aircleaner with no way to seal it up for a snorkel. *snif snif* :(

HEHEHE.. I have a 92 Pathy with the VG30E.....c'mon over...I got the booze...pizza... :bow:

88... i will find a way for our vg30i engines to get snorkeled, that or some other device to keep water outta my momo... can you say cowl induction? that under the hood induction is no fun if you do water crossings..

on another note.. saran wrap! .. listen, saran wrap is en excellent water barrier for your distributor! helped on my bronco BIG TIME... before you go wheelin, take some saran wrap and put a condom over that baby. when you get home take that jimmy off and toss it to the curb

Edited by JeepRescueService14

Thanks for the replies! It is a little ghetto but I need the insurance here in S.E. Georgia swampland.

The saran wrap is a good idea, my friends and I have used this idea for several years. I used duct tape to hold it though.

As to the performance, I'm pretty anal about logging my mileage (what better indicator of problems to come?) and I gained .2 miles per gallon after the install. That must mean something!

Remember, a snorkel isn't a liscense to go swimming, just engine insurance.

before you go wheelin, take some saran wrap and put a condom over that baby. when you get home take that jimmy off and toss it to the curb

Sorry but I co -alcohol- :lol: uldn't help but LMAO after reading that. :wacko: -alcohol- :lol:

88, you are very creative when you want to be, i'm sure you could seal up your air cleaner, sw did, and even though his was a 4cyl, they have the same set up with the aircleaner sitting ontop of the engine and a ducting going to the inner guard or behind the head light.

I used Ados Galve-Bond silicone sealer on mine, and its a very similar design to yours.

Get creative, seal the plastic tube to the air cleaner hosing with a good silicone sealer, cut the plastic tube if you have to so you have a circular end on it, get a short section of steel or PVC tube of suitable diameter and use hose clamp to attach the plastic aircleaner with a good dose of silicone, then get a length of the steel ribbed flexi air hose to run from your snorkel to the steel/PVC or what ever you choose tube and hose clamp it there again. If the intake to the air cleaner housing is circular, you could just run the ribbed air hose straight from the snorkel to the air cleaner.

The sil;icone sealer im talking about is the kind of stuff they use for sealing roofing, windows, joinery and all manner of things in houses etc.

Just my thoughts by the way ;)

• 1 month later...
Here's a slightly cleaner version of a homemade snorkel.

Now that you've had it on for a while what do you think of it? How does it work in the rain?

I'd like to make one sometime since I've already waterlocked the engine once. Rain is my main concern.

I've seen the safari snorkels that have a special top for keeping rain out. I was thinking of making a "drop" in the line with a water release thing on the bottom... Like on the bottom of those BIG breathers on the side of Mack Trucks. It's like a rubber cone that closes when no water is draining out.

I definetly have to do something after hydro locking my engine. The new engine is going in now, when I get it back I am gonna alter the intake somehow just not sure yet...that looks nice on that red pathy!

It really RAINS a lot down here- the weather channel has had our region in the 'red' for the last few weeks, Heh- So rain is a concern of mine too.

I really like your idea with the drain.

I have just been turning the top "scoop" part towards the windshield when I wheel' or when it rains. I left it soI could turn it from the window while driving. I've even checked the filter box for droplets after driving in rain and it's dry.

Good luck!

Yeah, Actually my dad is an R&D Engineer and a hot rod enthusiast- He swears that I should get better performance with the top turned around due to the vaccum effect... Whatever.

I haven't logged any miles with it turned around, I believe in ram-air.

• 4 weeks later...

WTF! Stop hacking into your beloved Pathies! That is just so wrong! :oops:

Cant you guys get snorkels over there? You can get everthing else.

I would be happy to organise shipping snorkels to you guys. It would save you butchering your Pathies. If you are interested let me know and I will get prices for you.

There are two types. One like firemandan's (same as mine) and one like SW's.