check engine light

kdj

So a week or two ago my truck did nothing when I hit the key in the morning. No power to anything(very cold). So I popped the hood and twisted the battery cables and the neg. was loose. I tightened it, the truck started but now my check light was on...and still is. Can I get rid of this? It's buggin' me.

Edited by kdj

code reader...or just undo the battery again let it sit for 5-10 minutes...re-attach. If the light comes on again I'd get a code reader and go from there. you can get one from Princess Auto for about $50 or so.

Hey thanks man. I don't want to buy reader. But if leaving the battery unhooked for a while resets it that will be great. When it didn't start it was maybe two minutes till I twisted the cables and it started. 5 to 10 minutes?

My CEL comes on and off by itself in what starts to appear regular intervals. I just ignore it as I know I've just recently changed the oil and am keeping a close eye on all other serviceable fluids. Maybe yours will go off by itself too. Could be a more common issue...

I have a code reader if you want to meet up and use mine?

CEL that comes on and off randomly is usually evap related from what I've seen. Not a big deal.

Evap related....go on....I'm listening

Unhooking the battery (1/2 Hour) didn't help but I did get to reset all my radio stations. The good news is I showed up 10 mins. early for work 'cause I was just guessing..the clock was off.

sometimes if the gas cap is not on all the way it COULD throw a code. but it could be a sensor or relay. if you go to auto zone or most corporate auto parts stores they have an in house obd ii reader and will pull the code for you

Just to make sure as this just occurred to me...the Service Engine Soon and Check Engine Light are the same, No?! Because my SES comes on and off, never had a CEL (with the little motor block image on it).

• 2 weeks later...

So yesterday I confirmed that my truck DOES run out gas at 3/8ths of a tank. Correction---it won't pick up gas below that level. The good news is that after I put a can of gas in it, it started up instantly and no check light! Glad to see that light gone after two weeks. Funny that unhooking the battery didn't reset the light but running it out of gas did.

P.S. Thanks to Carl from down the road for running back to the farm to get a can of gas. First time the truck has had Super in it. I put Super in the ATV, chain saws, gen. ,mower etc but the Nissan has to live on the sucky ethenol/water mix they sell here as Regular.