Nissan sentra

thorpe991

So during the summer i drive a 87 iroc camaro ,well shes in major need of body reconstruction so i'm thinking of picking up a cheap nissan sentra at the end of winter hopefully the 01 body style is there anything i should watch out for specifically with the sentras

They're good little cars. IIRC there was an SE model starting in 2000 that had nicer wheels, more powerful motor, and an LSD. Might be worth taking a look at. I think the SE-R was out around that time, if you can afford one it's worth the investment.

Depends on the motor. I've read good things about the SR20DE, but I would avoid the QR25DE.

From Wikipedia:

Other notable features include a catalytic converter on the exhaust manifold, and air fuel ratios in a range, when driven aggressively, that could overheat and damage the ceramic catalyst substrate. This slight design oversight, along with a variable intake cam timing system that also functioned at light load cruising as an exhaust gas recirculation system (EGR), would allow the motor to ingest damaged ceramic catalyst substrate. The abrasive nature of ceramic in the cylinders was responsible for abnormally high oil consumption rates and a large number of engine failures secondary to low oil levels due to compromised piston ring sealing. Other areas of concern include a manifold design which contained dual intake paths. The dual runners were switched by means of a butterfly valve assembly, unfortunately in early models, the screws were prone to backing out and subsequently making their way through the motor, wreaking havoc on the piston faces, combustion chambers, and possibly valves on the way through. These two flaws however, can be easily remedied by using an aftermarket exhaust-manifold and by using a suitable adhesive (e.g. Loctite) to secure the butterfly screws. Head gasket leakage between cylinders is also very common with both engines in particularly 2002 models, but the problems are more isolated as the years go on. The QG18DE almost never suffered from the same issues as the QR25DE did.

They're supposed to be good motors if you put a header on them, but you might have trouble finding a used one that doesn't have an issue (or that the owner doesn't want a mint for because he/she's had the engine rebuilt and put a header on it).

Every time I see a newer Sentra, that looks exactly like the tall, narrow style of the Corolla, it just pisses me off..I can't believe Nissan did that to that once tough looking, muscular car. I can't stand the "tall narrow" trend that is seems like everyone is moving towards..blah.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a '98 Sentra SE-R for several years. Loved that car but needed a 4 door because my little ones aren't getting any smaller. So I got a 2006 Sentra SE-R SPEC V. It's a great car. Completely different feel with QR25DE motor coming from the SR20DE. This motor has way more torque though and the 6 speed is nice. Back seat is kinda tight but my kids sit in it so no big deal for me. I do have a header to replace the stock exhaust manifold and lose the pre--cat but want to do a full exhaust so it doesn't sound like crap...nothing obnoxious though. One thing to note is crank and cam position sensors are flakey and will cause CEL. They are cheap and easy ( :lmao:) to change though. Same part for both sensors.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Haha why does every body have to pick on me :-P haha crazy thing is when i got my first one 3 years ago they were going for that comple with out rust but now a rusted one is going for about 2000 and a non rusted one us going for about 4000 in my area the irocs and formulas are going for the same price as the 80's Corvettes

• Like 1

Ahh good ole 3rd gen Camaros. Can be good cars. I had a 92 RS Anniversary Edition (white with red stripes) for 9 years until I sold it to buy a 99 Z28. Miss my old RS. Should have kept it and just tossed a LSx + T56 in it.

Sent from my Moto X