Drilling filter relocation for pressure gauge

adamzan

I want to add a pressure gauge to my rig, but i really, really, don't want to mess with the stock idiot light sender, as it is quite tight in there with the headers already. So I found my relocation kit I never installed on my old truck and noticed it has a spot in the centre where it looks like you could drill for a sender. I found a pic showing Tex's install and he did something similar. Just wanted some thoughts on it. I know I would have to drill it straight in a drill press and tap it to 1/8 NPT for the sender...

10576968_10152635729949233_8912417225423

What lines are you planning on running? If its AN, you can just get one of these (one on the far right)

http://www.redhorseperformance.com/collections/adapters-pressure

It will adapt the NPT to AN size and give you what i'd assume is an 1/8 NPT threaded port which everyone but GReddy uses for pressure sensor sizes.

Or you can get what i'm going to try and make work, which is one these ebay oil sandwich adapters

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-BLUE-ALUMINUM-OIL-FILTER-COOLER-SANWICH-PLATE-ADAPTER-M20-M22-X1-5-/331197008951?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d1ce14c37&vxp=mtr

It just sits between the filter and the engine, and mine gives three 1/8npt holes for sensors, BUT the stupid PS arm gets in the way by .00000000000000001 mm and prevents it from threading on smoothly to a VG33. So some modifying was necessary, but being as i didn't have an angle grinder, that project got sent to the back burner.

Hope that helps....

-Kyle

Yeah, I'd recommend that for pressure but not temp, usually (from what I'm told,) you want a temp sensor closer to the engine pumping for oil I guess... Idk

But AN Is EXPENSIVE! my planned oil relocation setup alone is pushing $250, $100 of that alone is XRP -10 hose...

Hence back burner project. Lol

-Kyle

What lines are you planning on running? If its AN, you can just get one of these (one on the far right)

http://www.redhorseperformance.com/collections/adapters-pressure

It will adapt the NPT to AN size and give you what i'd assume is an 1/8 NPT threaded port which everyone but GReddy uses for pressure sensor sizes.

Or you can get what i'm going to try and make work, which is one these ebay oil sandwich adapters

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-BLUE-ALUMINUM-OIL-FILTER-COOLER-SANWICH-PLATE-ADAPTER-M20-M22-X1-5-/331197008951?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d1ce14c37&vxp=mtr

It just sits between the filter and the engine, and mine gives three 1/8npt holes for sensors, BUT the stupid PS arm gets in the way by .00000000000000001 mm and prevents it from threading on smoothly to a VG33. So some modifying was necessary, but being as i didn't have an angle grinder, that project got sent to the back burner.

Hope that helps....

-Kyle

The kit came with 30" hoses, with NPT fittings at each end, I will probably just use those to keep it simple. But you have given me the idea to get a T for one end so I don't have to drill anything, which would be nice. I was looking today at lunchtime at PA, they have in the hydraulic section a ton of fittings. Found at T that has 2 female and 1 male 1/2" npt ports. I would still need a 1/2 to 1/8 or 1/4 (the autometer gauges come with an 1/8 to 1/4 bushing) adapter though. Just adding more places to leak :rolleyes:

That sandwich plate won't work on the wd21, as the vg30 uses a 3/4-16 thread for the oil filter (weird, right?). I'm sure there are others, though.

AN looks real nice but damn, kind of out of my price range at this point

Edited by adamzan

Another reason you need a vg33e swap! The front mounted oil filter bracket has an extra set screw in the housing you can remove for an extra oil feed :) watch out with those sandwich adapters. Most give you unfiltered oil. Not the biggest deal for a gauge but I wouldn't supply something like a turbo with it.

• 9 months later...

Found this topic and am thinking I may go sandwich similar...relocating my oil filter anyway, and the kit comes setup with an NPT sender port...or oil feed for the turbo I will never have.

I think I am more excited about not having il pour all over my dang starter than I am the oil pressure gauge...those things are not cheap.

Never had a problem with the whole oil/starter thing. Also, I've still not done anything on this, LOL. Pretty busy these days and time to work on the truck is at a premium.

Found this topic and am thinking I may go sandwich similar...relocating my oil filter anyway, and the kit comes setup with an NPT sender port...or oil feed for the turbo I will never have.

I think I am more excited about not having il pour all over my dang starter than I am the oil pressure gauge...those things are not cheap.

I've cut back on adding it at Subway the past few years. :D

• 1 month later...

Well... I cut flour and sugar from my diet...no bread...no sugar...4 months later I am down 37 lbs...feel pretty dang good.

But I miss eating sweets haha.

Back on topic...

I ordered a sandwich adapter for my Autometer sender...and a Summit relo kit...will photograph and post when I get it in...

Fatass!! :lol:

Bread is ok if it is in limited quantities and isn't enriched, bleached flour. Try a dark rye or German/French country bread... But yeah, sugar is the debil.

Seems overkill when you can just drill/tap the relo kit, but it is your $. :shrug:

B

Yes, I had gained a bunch when I was lifting heavy, but did not change my diet when I stopped hitting the weights as hard.

I agree on drill/tap the relo plate, but I scored the sandwich plate for next to nothing with free shipping. So if in the end it does not work, then I will just toss it in the spare part bin and mod the relo...

• 1 month later...

Okay guys...question:

After looking at the room situation with the oil sending unit and a subway sandwich adapter along with my relo-kit...

So the factory oil sending unit is simply an "idiot light switch" based on what I can see...

I cannot confirm that the ECU actually takes a "reading" from this one wire, so unless I am missing something (which is possible)...why not just put the new Autometer oil pressure sending unit in place of the factory?

Thoughts?

Yep, and a buddy of mine just ate his top end driving across Nevada when the oil filter relocator adapter loosened and leaked. Idiot light never came on, but he noticed a leak when he stopped for gas. Pulled the relo kit off, put a filter on, topped it off, drove to Colorado and did an oil change, and another, and another. He described it as 'panning for steel'.

"New cams, lifters, rocker arms, and bottom end bearings. She runs great once again."

Mind you, it never stopped, lost power (how would you tell) or knocked, he just started looking for the missing chunks...

Yeah, screw idiot lights, if you want to know what is going on, install gauges; oil pressure, volt meter at minimum, tranny temp if it applies.

Why don't cars come with them new? From the factory, it is a few hundred bucks max and incorporated. No excuses, my '84 D720 had them...

B