Hardbody-Softframe

kdj

So my brother the welder finely got his new mig welder and I went to take my Hardbody down to the shop for him to fix up the frame. I made it 10 feet...then BANG...both frame rails broke over the rear axle. I had already taken the box and back bumper off so now the rear rails at the bumper mounts are 50 inches off the ground and it's belly is dragging. It pulled off the rear brake line and rear end vent but the exhaust and gas tank and lines survived. Now I have to figure out how to get a V shaped truck 500' to the shop. As sad as this is I couldn't help LMAO when I rolled out of the thing as saw what had happened. I mean the shackels are horizontal now not vertical and the springs are streched out almost flat. What do I do now? This truck is for around the farm not the road.

Edited by kdj
  • Like 1

:thisthreadisworthless:

Could you lift it with some farm equipment and brace it with some badass bits of wood + straps. Or lift up the back end with tractor and move it 500ft that way. Or pick up the whole damn thing sideways on? Or make some sort of ski for the back and drag it.

• Like 1

Idea number two, after rereading the problem, get a farm tractor with bucket and some ratcheting straps,or winch device. Lift the rear up and ratchet it down to the back side of bucket slowly lift up, then just push it into the shop. You still will need to steer the pathfinder though. Have fun with it....LOL

Play that cliche circus song, light your hair on fire and run around it with your arms flailing like one of those inflatable tube man advertisements!

Seriously though find a sturdy spot at the front half, jack er up till it lines up and ratchet some 2x4s to both sides. Pinch off the broken brake line and gimp it in.

• Like 1

Plan A is remove drive shalf, exhaust and gas tank. Unbolt the leafs at the front eyes and drivers side shock. Then cut off the remaining frame with rear axle. That will leave about two feet of frame sticking out behind the cab which should give me enough room to mount the gas tank sideway across the rails. I might have to lengthen the fuel lines a bit but the harness for the fuel pump looks long enough. Then mount a pair of snowmoble skis I have to the frame stubs and off to the shop. It is just across a stretch of grass so it should make it. I don't think I'll have to worry about no brakes if I keep it under 50 MPH! If it makes it I can bring the back half over with the front end loader.

Plan B is Nunyas idea...I already have the music playing in my head and have the torch ready.

when in terror or in doubt run in circles, scream and shout!.....hope that helps?

Ha ! I've never heard this saying but is how I have tried to live my life.

Make sure that you get pictures posted, we need a good laugh time to time. I think you have a good biggest oops here...LOL hv fun with it. :)

I take that as a complement! I wish I could post some photos but I'm on a old old computer and a dial up connection with pulse dialing on a party line. Maybe some of you old folks know what that means. But anyways I can't do photobucket or watch videos or use paypal etc. etc. I can email photos though so maybe I can send them to someone and they can post them for me? My brother is coming out tomorrow so after he sees it the sawzall is coming out and the truck becomes a front wheel drive two wheeler!

LOL I know what you mean, we just got our internet connection fixed at home, our alarm system was robbing all the band width. But hey at least you can get on here for information. And yea I'd be honored if you take it as a compliment..LOL I would have you email it to me, but I'm out here in the 18wheeler and the phone doesn't like to transfer pictures for some reason. Maybe one of our other friends at home can help you with your pictures? Stay safe while you cut and hack it up.

Well I got a couple of things taken off of the frame today. But best of all I got the skies for it! 1968 Ski Doo is I remember right. Some older northern members might remember them. They will fit right into the front mount for the rear spring. Getting that bathtub sized gas tank out is the next project.

My last one was a '73 Sno-Jet with the Yamaha 292. It was the last year for the Sno-Jet after Yamaha bought them out.

party lines and dial up internet.....just how far back in the woods are you?

I grew up with a wall mount phone and a party line but that was like 30 years ago.....

party lines and dial up internet.....just how far back in the woods are you?

I grew up with a wall mount phone and a party line but that was like 30 years ago.....

My father bought this place in 1955. It is still the same phone no. and it's long distance to the back of the farm. I'm only 1/2 hour from the 401 at Brockville. I think you've been through this area?

yea, when I was a kid I lived in Kitchener and in Brantford for a little while. In fact while in Brantford I lived down the street from Wayne Gretzky's parents house.the party line was Northern New Brunswick in a mobile home.

I got the exhaust off and and got the gas tank out from under it today. The muffler had about 1/2 gallon of rusty water in it. At least I now know it has no leaks in it.