And now I'm bleeding AND the truck won't run.

SpecialWarr

I thought that I would use my nice day and peel the intake off and take care of the IACV and fuel pressure regulator aaaaannnddd now the truck won't stay running. All of the new vac hoses are attached and the big secondary air tubes to the brake booster are attached. The pcv is new, attached and has been working for the last four months and I can hear something that is leaking but what am I missing?

sent from under Ernest the Pathfinder

Start spraying witha flamable aerosol. When the rpm surges, you have found the area of the leak. You must have forgotten to attach something or detached something without noticing when you were working. Have you looked at the vacuum diagrams for reference?

B

Hey B,

I looked at the vac diagrams in the FSM after I finished putting everything back together to confirm that everything was in the right place, I also took pictures of areas that were busy ( around the EGR ) to be able to get everything back on in the right location, orientation and path. Everything that is on there now looks correct but I know I missed some esentail thing during reassembly because of the inability of the truck to keep running. I drove it to work, took it apart and I messed up the rebuild...Can you think of a likely area that a newbie might overlook while installing new fuel hoses onto the fuel rail, while doing the fuel pressure regulator or IACV?? A small detail like a hook / hold-down / or a missed clamp? Anyone else know of an easy-to-miss thing that wouldn't jump out as a significant problem?

The only time I messed with most of that stuff is when I was stripping my old Pathy before it got towed, after work, usually in the rain, while I was packing to move; I wasn't really studying things. Sorry, I don't have the experience to be very helpful with this. The two things I can recommed is to do the flamable aerosol check for a serious vacuum leak first, then look in the FSM at EC-29 for trouble shooting diagnosis for your specific issue. Don't get stuck on the fact that it is a vacuum leak, it could easily be electrical as well.

I once disabled a friends Pathy by wiggling the coolant temp sensor connector when I was pointing it out to him. He warmed up the truck and as soon as it went into closed loop, it died immediately and refused to start. We disassembled/cleaned the connecor, reconnected it and it has been 9 months running flawlessly.

Have you checked the ECU for stored codes? I'd really take a step back and start with the basics.

B

Check the upper intake gasket. esp at the back. It likes to slide around and get off center when you put the intake plenum back on. That would create a 'sucking sound' and cause the vehicle to bog out.

Edited by Alkorahil

Make sure u attached all the electrical connectors in the back of the plenum properly. There's one for the IACV wayyyy at the back that you can't really see once the plenum is in place,

Edited by Nefarious

Alkorahil I would like to order the Special Edition Eddie Bauer Signature Series inverted intake please, that's the one where all the fricking parts are on the top and in the front...

Thanks for the heads-up on that gasket and thanks to Nefarious for the one on the electrical connection! !

I'll keep you posted on the progress today as I work on it.

sent from under Ernest the Pathfinder

Here is the progress report:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbvGVaGlFkQ&list=UUwc1c-qX5owUsjlFsdYxrAQ

Thanks to you all for the help, the culprit was the guy doing the work in a hurry ( there's a lesson ) and not paying attention to what was coming off ( there is another lesson )..... The item causing the huge lack of compression / vacuum cleaner noise was an injector seal for the #2 piston that I bumped out of the way during reassembly in my rush to get the work done before the end of the day so I could drive home. I ended the day by taking my bike to the local bar and waited for my fiancee to swing by and pick me up. This morning I found the seal with a flashlight and looking down the space for the plug boot, I could see something small and clean that looked very out of place next to the plug. Obviously I had to pull the whole intake off again to get the fuel rail off and get the seal back on, job done and two lessons learned.

Good to know. Hopefully the hose, and IACV gasket will come in this week so I can get this job done too. So make sure to keep special attention to what might get moved out of the way on reassembly. Check!

Thank you!

Yeah, injector seals can move around and not seat properly (though look like they are) if you are not paying attention. I was telling someone this yesterday who had just replaced his injectors and was having CEL issues.