Spare Tire Rack Lube

N2mesnob

I took mine off the truck, got a guy at work to drill and tap it for a zerk/ grease nipple and I just give it a shot of grease every so often. There isnt a grease chanel as such but I seem to be able to get it in there and now have grease all around the shafts.

Works pretty well but he did say it was a bugger to drill out due to the angle of it on the drill press

Do you happen to have any pics of the finish product?

Sound like a project I may be interested in taking on?

It would be fairly simple, just get a drilling bit specifically for drilling metal, buy a couple of grease nipples. Drill the holes out a bit larger then screw the fittings in then grease those babies. It would last the lifetime of the vehicle opening and closing. You'd probably have to open and close it a million times before the grease wears out.

You missed the tapping-the-hole step, but yes...

I'd probably drill and tap into the existing hole (so grease doesn't come out of it) but I'd need to verify that there is sufficient clearance to close it properly. The hardest part of the job would be to remove the carrier so you could drill and tap the sleeves. Might as well replace the bushings if they have any play in them while you are there...

B

• 2 months later...

You missed the tapping-the-hole step, but yes...

I'd probably drill and tap into the existing hole (so grease doesn't come out of it) but I'd need to verify that there is sufficient clearance to close it properly. The hardest part of the job would be to remove the carrier so you could drill and tap the sleeves. Might as well replace the bushings if they have any play in them while you are there...

B

Why would you have to take the carrier off? Can't you just tap screw the holes with the carrier on there?

Why would you have to take the carrier off? Can't you just tap screw the holes with the carrier on there?

I'd have to take some measurements, but the hinge walls aren't very thick and most taps need 2-3 turns for full thread (lead) meaning you wouldn't have fully formed threads to screw the grease fitting into before the tap bottomed out. I've modified some taps to work within .04-.08" (1-2mm) of bottom depending on thread pitch, but it usually doesn't work like that.

B

I've put normal lithium grease into mine, via a plastic straw connected to the end of a grease gun. Couldn't get much into the holes, it kept coming back out so I just smeared it into the 'knuckles' until it was a coated, black mess. Had to wipe quite a lot of grease off but there's still heaps in there, that combined with ATF fluid and Wd40, the thing won't stay open by itself without using the metal pin. I regret using so much lube.

I haven't tapped into the joints, but I put them thru a little bath of Lucas oil 100wgt and now I have to use the pin every time I open it up, otherwise I'll get slammed with it with the slightest wind. Cheap but has worked great for over a year now.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/18579-how-to-replace-wd21-tire-carrier-bushings/

Try the how to topic or the rattle noise could just be your seat that the carrier seats onto needs adjusting up or down. Try loosening the seat at the bottom part and see if you can adjust it so the carrier clips in and seats properly. Mine will rattle if I haven't properly slammed it shut. My wife never closes it properly so I'll be driving along and every bump I hear a clunky te clunk noise and I immediately know it's the tire carrier!

• 1 year later...

I drilled and tapped into my carrier holes to put grease fittings in, unfortunately it doesn't close with the fittings in place so I could only install the fitting, grease it then remove. Repeat for the bottom joint. I found a couple of small rubber plugs to seal up the holes until next time.