what do you all think about these trucks

ahardb0dy

These are two of the hardbody's I have been watching, what do you think:

first one:

1996 Nissan King cab xe - $3250

5 speed king cab, ac, fiberglass topper, bed liner, trailer hitch, new tires, and all service records and clean title. Very dependable, good on gas.

opp9u8.jpg

15znv5x.jpg

2pmwp.jpg

24e1gew.jpg

206iooh.jpg

or this one:

1994 Nissan D21 Hardbody PickUp - $2700

Bought this truck for my daughter and replaced belts, battery, tires, and rear air shocks. Problem is, it's a manual transmission, and she decided she wants an automatic. This is one of the best 4 Cylinder work trucks ever made, just research it on the internet. It's now in the classic car category with average retail of $3600. It's been repainted, and has a little rust coming through on one fender well. Plastic Steering column cover is off and needs some repair. 160K Miles on the truck, it doesn't burn any oil and it runs like a champ.

9hu9u8.jpg

25p6djt.jpg

fk4p4i.jpg

x6k6mw.jpg

t9hy76.jpg

I like the white one for some reason , maybe because the pics are bigger it looks better, I've always liked the hardbody in white. The white one has 204K miles

The second one has some nice alloy rims...but it's black. That just means to me that I would spend more time looking at the scratches and that would bother me. I have to say the King Cab.

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk

I pick the black one. I have a '96 black K cab 4x4. I always thought the opera windows looked odd on the white and red ones.

Edited by kdj

As long as you are ok with the higher mileage, I think the first one will be better and the topper is nice to have as well.

If you are going to mod it, get the second one but having a black car in Florida makes me cringe...

B

I like the white one, they are both king cabs, I hear you on black on Florida !! High mileage doesn't bother me if I need to I'll throw a JDM engine in if I can find one, it also depends on whether either one is still available or others become available

O.K. I just voted for the black one because I'm Canadian. I had a white Dodge Dart once and couldn't find it 'till spring. But the black '96...the snow melts right off if and when the sun comes out.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm leaning white, it's in much better condition..but you're paying for it too at $3250..it's pretty high. I can't believe it's got manual locks and windows, that's a deal breaker for me..but the other one also has manual controls so atleast they're the same there.

The topper is nice..I guess that's 1/3rd of the cost of the truck.

Black one has rust. I think if you can get away with maybe $2200 - 2000 on the black, go for it..you're gonna regret it after you pay 2700 when for another 500 you could have had the white, clean and no rust with maintenance records...and newer. Beware buyers remorse, it sucks....naaa don't even haggle for the black one, screw it get the white, you'll be glad you did and know you made the right choice.

I don't mind if a truck/car I buy used has some problems, as long as it's a Nissan and I half know what to do to fix it ! Anything this old will have some issues, That is part of the reason I don't want an automatic, especially with the 4cylinder, the truck would be a dog I think ( not sure but I know in the case of like my sentra the auto trans cars are real slow!)

I really don't care for the cap and would probably remove it at some point. I know how black paint is besides the sun down here killing it if you don't stay on top of it but as was said the dirt shows easier and any scratches, etc.

I have yet to see or find a 2wd for sale with power windows. The original sales brochures I have found online, (86.5 to 96 hardbody) do show the "SE" came with power windows and mirrors and locks but I have yet to find one.

I am finding other hardbody's for sale that are real nice but the majority of them are automatics, and besides the reasons I stated above to not wanting an automatic there is the other reason, the cost to rebuild one if it takes a crap, I haven't heard many stories of manual tranny's failing unless they were really abused, I would rather have to replace a clutch than rebuild an automatic. well my buddy would replace the clutch for me, he does all my big jobs ! LOL

I know in my other thread about my next truck someone posted about the KA24's being different from a certain year and as was stated their is the OBD2 thing to consider, whether I would want to deal with OBD2 or not, I'm sure it's nice to have more info to diagnosis a problem but I don;t want a truck that is so technical that I can't work on it either.

I am leaning towards the white one though, if I could get it for less than advertised that would be even better, I've seen a few on autotrader that were really clean but one is at a dealer and they want a ridiculous amount for it, think it was in the $7K area !! Too much I think, no matter how low the mileage is for a 2wd 4 cylinder .

Thanks for all the opinions ! :)

Just checked to see if the two trucks were still available and it seems the black truck listing has just been deleted so that eliminates the black one, I'm surprised the white one is still listed, of course that doesn't mean it's still for sale possibly the owner has sold it and hasn't deleted the ad. I e-mailed both owners about both trucks but haven't heard back from either one.

So what was the D in the E to DE change over? I had one of those engines in my 91 D21 it was a freaking crazy engine. 2.4 liters with a 12 valve head, I drove that thing like I stole it, it was awesome. Those trucks will not die. I've heard stories about people using them as salvage yard beaters, no maintenance, tons of abuse and it just keeps going.

Hey, you are old school like me. I'm thinking keep the cap on the white one and remove the glass to mount the sub woofers. :)

I don't have to remove the glass, I plan on installing my power rear window that goes up and down !