Guess that Sound

mikestewart395

This morning I was in the garage installing new Stabilizer links. I heard a high pitched noise coming from outside. It sounded like a small dirt bike racing down the road. I climbed out from under the truck and walked to the door. The noise wasn't coming from outside, it was coming from the back of my pathy, seemed like the driver side, not sure. I gave it the tune up slap on the side and the noise stopped. Now we play the wtf was that noise game...

It's your gas tank check valve. Pressure builds up, then it vents through that valve to the carbon canister. Sometimes vibration (shutting a door) rattles it enough to make it open, sometimes it opens on its own. Mine got really loud (sounded like the drone of a Honda with a fart can exhaust when it went off) so I replaced it. I tracked it down by pulling one of the lines off the carbon canister and either blowing air in or sucking it out. I don't remember which but I remember it tasted horrible and it made the noise.

If you do decide to replace it, make sure you get the Pathfinder one, the Hardbody one mounts differently. (Yeah, I ordered the wrong one.) It's a PITA to get to as well.

My new one makes noise now and then, but it's more of a hum now. Doesn't bother me, I know what causes it and it's not hurting anything. Also, I really don't want to try and get to it again!

I get a similar noise in mine, I believe it has something to do with air pressure in the fuel tank. When that happens I can open the fuel cap, hear the pressure escape and the noise stops.

I think that's it. Now that you mention it I was looking in the right rear fender well one day and heard a whistling noise coming from the tank. And everytime I fill up I open the cap and the pressure is like a hurricane whipping across the atlantic ocean, ripping everything to shreds when it hits land fall!!! Ok maybe not that bad, but close. :laugh:

It's your gas tank check valve. Pressure builds up, then it vents through that valve to the carbon canister. Sometimes vibration (shutting a door) rattles it enough to make it open, sometimes it opens on its own. Mine got really loud (sounded like the drone of a Honda with a fart can exhaust when it went off) so I replaced it. I tracked it down by pulling one of the lines off the carbon canister and either blowing air in or sucking it out. I don't remember which but I remember it tasted horrible and it made the noise.

If you do decide to replace it, make sure you get the Pathfinder one, the Hardbody one mounts differently. (Yeah, I ordered the wrong one.) It's a PITA to get to as well.

My new one makes noise now and then, but it's more of a hum now. Doesn't bother me, I know what causes it and it's not hurting anything. Also, I really don't want to try and get to it again!

Agreed. More than likely the tank check valve. It will do it more often, louder and for a longer period of time when the tank gets close to empty.

It is annoying but not the end of the world.

not jacking thread, just same subject matter. What would sound like a float banging around in fuel tank, get it with the tank full or less than full. I'm just curious if it's a normal noise. This truck has always made this noise.

There should be a thread started called "Guess That Noise" I'm sure there is a lot of questions about odd sounds out there. For a week I have been shaking the exhaust trying to pin down the location of a vibration noise in the rear when I am shifting gears....ehhh that's for another thread

not jacking thread, just same subject matter. What would sound like a float banging around in fuel tank, get it with the tank full or less than full. I'm just curious if it's a normal noise. This truck has always made this noise.

Do you hear this noise inside the vehicle or only from the outside or both? Does the fuel guage work properly?

I hear it both in/out, any time you shake it or move and stop, fuel gauge works fine. I think I may have located the sound though. The rear anti sway bar ends have major slop and knock/clunk when ever you bounce it. I'm not sure if the sound would keep going though when truck is sitting still like it does, the sound is like something floating around in there, everything works though, just weird.

There should be a thread started called "Guess That Noise"  I'm sure there is a lot of questions about odd sounds out there. For a week I have been shaking the exhaust trying to pin down the location of a vibration noise in the rear when I am shifting gears....ehhh  that's for another thread

I hear that one and I found it was the exhaust just about an inch after it hops over the rear axle. Mine is rattling on the shock upper body tube. It's damn near impossible to see there.

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk